Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before i pull the trigger... could ye confirm that these would be the right choice...

• 11-12-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Usual story... Mach 3 user for the past 15 years, but i die inside a little bit each time i give gillette some more money! :D

Have been researching on here for a while and would like to walk before i run... so i am going to wait a while before buying a brush, cream and bowl till i get used to the razor and just use it with a good gel.

Here is what i picked out - am i on the right track?

Muhle R89 Classic

Two-Of-A-Kind DE Blade Sample Pack

Proraso Brushless Shaving Gel

and was going to get this Proraso Pre and Post Shaving Cream for pre and post shave as my skin does suffer from razor burn with the mach 3 normally if i have not shaved in a few days, but unsure how it is applied? By brush or just hand?

Have i missed out on anything i should also need?

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Just rub a little of the Proraso into damp skin before shaving. I don't think any of us use it afterwards. If I shave without it, I feel scalded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Cheers for that... it looks to be the best pre shave cream from what i have read.

Any other thoughts on my picked choices?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I believe the Muhle has the same head as my Edwin Jagger, which makes it a superb starting razor. The blade sample pack is a great way to find the blade that suits you. I've used a brush since I started DE shaving, so I have no idea about the Proraso gel, but if it gets you started, go for it. I wouldn't defer the brush purchase too long; you'll thank yourself when you get one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Access wrote: »
    Cheers for that... it looks to be the best pre shave cream from what i have read.

It's class. :) Be prepared for the menthol making your eyes water though!

I'm not an expert on razors, but all the reviews on-site look very positive.

The brushes and soaps/creams are the fun part really. You'll enjoy those whenever you do get around to trying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Swap the Proraso brushless for the regular Proraso cream or soap and add a cheap Omega brush for around a tenner. Using a brush makes a big difference and helps prep the stubble pre-shave.
    You'd even be better skipping the Proraso preshave and getting a brush instead with regular shaving cream or soap. Brushless soap tends to be a gimmick. Don't underestimate the importance of a brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I take your point... i will invest in one of the omega brushes so and leave out the gel. Thanks for the tip.

I was looking at the Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap as it got good reviews, but there is also some nice Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond St creams.

Cream or soap for a newbie like me?

And if you use a cream or a soap... is it worth getting one of those shaving mugs?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And if you use a cream or a soap... is it worth getting one of those shaving mugs to lather it up in or are those a gimmick?

The mugs are great if you want to keep the lather warm. You'd do as well using one from the cupboard at home though. I have an old hot chocolate mug that I use most of the time. Saved me a few quid. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

A cream will give you the best bet of getting enough product into your brush when you are starting out. The Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap would be a good starter soap - it's more of a hard cream than soap really.

A shaving mug isn't necessary, any old mug would do the job really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Just rub a little of the Proraso into damp skin before shaving. I don't think any of us use it afterwards. If I shave without it, I feel scalded.

I always use it afterwards. It's great stuff. Nice and soothing.
    And if you use a cream or a soap... is it worth getting one of those shaving mugs?

I always seemed to find it difficult to get a proper lather until I bought a shaving mug a couple of weeks ago. Best thing I bought. This is the one I have.

Advertisement