Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano grades and theory for 9 yr old

• 12-12-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, hope someone can help me. My son started learning piano when he was 7, the teacher that was assigned to us from the music school was great but emigrated. We were assigned another much younger and inexperienced teacher by the music school. It didn't really work out as she moved on to a new song every week even though he wouldn't have known the one from the previous week. Anyhoo, he didn't do the lessons last year as we didn't have confidence in the teacher, but this year we started with a different teacher, same school again this year and its much better now. He has progressed really well and actually enjoys it now. I know that some of the other kids that go also do a theory class but we've never been asked to attend even though he would be ahead of most of them in playing. Is it important to do the theory at this stage or could we do it at home by reading a book? Also, we've never been informed about the grades system, could someone explain them to me? I've read that you can skip some grades and typically what age is the best to have them done by? Even as I'm asking, it's sounds quite ridiculous that the school has not given me this information but anyway I would really appreciate if anyone could give me any information many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

There's no need at all to do the theory classes; with piano, a lot of theory is covered anyway, so don't feel he has to. However, it might help him in his understanding a little better, and it can come in very handy if he chooses to study music at second level, but like I said, a lot of it is covered already. With the Royal Irish Academy of Music, grades progress from Elementary, Preliminary, Primary, and then Grades 1-8, and after that the Diploma for teaching. Elementary is normally started at around age 6, and at a decent pace, grade 8 can be finished by age 16 or 17. Teachers might choose to let the student skip grades, especially the earlier ones, if they feel the student is picking it up quick enough, or if they seem to be sidetracking the student with other projects or taking their time before starting on exam pieces they're more than likely preparing them to skip a grade. Don't wory about when he should have them finished by, he'll go at his own pace, and it's more important that he enjoys it rather than get the grades done, as the grade pieces can be a bit daunting at times. Hope this helps and I wish him the best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bangra bangra

Thanks Acciaccatura, that's really great information, I'll leave him get on with just enjoying learning the piano, thanks again!

Advertisement