Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbags in Knocknacarra

Options
  • 12-12-2012 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

These scumbags are going around robbing peoples phones and attacking them and going around in big gangs and smashing the new bus stops they just piss me off I will add photos later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

saw the bus stop across from the church all smashed up the other day, was there others done in too?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Haven't had the miss fortune of meeting these scum bags. The three new bus stops being trashed really pissed me off. When facilities like that get vandalized the council or anyone else will have second thought about as they would put it "throwing money away on facilities that will just get destroyed". Will be counting the days until the mess gets cleared up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I saw the Ballymoneen Road bus stops were all smashed up over the weekend with glass everywhere on Monday. Shame really. Hadn't heard about these muggings though. :(

The Knocknacarra area always had dysfunctional and feral nutters but not in "BIG" gangs in the past, only small gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

we all have phones with cameras so how about we let the council know when we see vandalism or places that just need a clean up (e.g. [email]<no mails thx>[/email]). in New York they've a strong zero-tolerance policy of immediately and repeatedly cleaning up any vandalism or hate graffiti and it's worked, the city's crime is at an all time low. but it's taken NY's active citizens getting off their arses & lending a hand by letting the local authority know when they notice a local issue. these gob****es smashing things up are a tiny minority but we just shrug and take it? huh?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Eh, this ain't NY.
    Those pesky pensioners wandering around destroying bus stop shelters and attacking phones really annoy me. Too much time on their hands if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, this ain't NY.
    Those pesky pensioners ...

Eh, NY trialed the broken window policy - dont fix a broken window or dont clean graffiti and more scumbag behaviour is likely to follow. Fix these when they appear and the area is less likely to be vandalised. Also, a zero tolerance policy from NY cops and transit cops helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Eh, NY trialed the broken window policy - dont fix a broken window or dont clean graffiti and more scumbag behaviour is likely to follow. Fix these when they appear and the area is less likely to be vandalised. Also, a zero tolerance policy from NY cops and transit cops helped.

And Roe Vs Wade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

And Roe Vs Wade.

Or a well positioned sniper

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

report it to the gardas. if they catch the guys and have your photos they can charge them for more offenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭feargalmcc1

The bus stop between fana burca and sli burca all smashed and the lights ripped out of it and they destroyed the timetable aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd imagine that there would be a fair bit of noise in vandalizing a bus shelter. Surely, someone living locally would hear/witness it?

I'd imagine that there would be a fair bit of noise in vandalizing a bus shelter. Surely, someone living locally would hear/witness it?

It depends ts usually at night time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Someone told me it happened late, like 3am. Apparently no one witnessed it. Does seem strange there wouldn't be 1 light sleeper to have witnessed it. There are houses directly across the street with a good view of it.

newkie wrote: »
    Someone told me it happened late, like 3am. Apparently no one witnessed it. Does seem strange there wouldn't be 1 light sleeper to have witnessed it. There are houses directly across the street with a good view of it.

I don't why somebody would be out at 3am but the council should put cameras up and more patrols cars around diff you hear they might be closing the hards station in salthill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I've seen bus shelters vandalised several times, and I've wondered why that type of glass is used (ie the kind that smashes into a million pieces and gives vandals a thrill). I think at least one on the SQR was smashed up within a short time of being erected.

Is there a reason why another type of glass might not be more suitable?

That said, vandalism is not the only lawbreaking I see in Knocknacarra, and there is rarely a sign of any enforcers around (except just passing through in their vehicles, as far as I can see).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

It depends ts usually at night time

I know, but I'd take a bit more interest in hearing noise at 3am instead of a some noise at 3 in the afternoon. I'm a heavy sleeper but think I'd wake up if I heard something like this. Then again, maybe not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

newkie wrote: »
    Someone told me it happened late, like 3am. Apparently no one witnessed it.

Then how does the person who told you know when it happened? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Probably best to report it to Garda and council don't assume someone else did. If they get enough calls will follow up. It is bad though to see the bit of money the council are spending being used up on replacing new glass.

crusher000 wrote: »
    It is bad though to see the bit of money the council are spending being used up on replacing new glass.

Depressing, isn't it?

It's not just the cost of the original materials, plus the replacement and labour costs, but also the extra hassle and expense such as clearing up the mess. IIRC the broken glass from the vandalised bus shelter on the SQR stayed on the cycle path for a while, along with a broken bottle or two, creating a safety and puncture hazard.

CCTV would be helpful, though I notice it hasn't stopped the litter louts dumping their boxes and other rubbish at the bottle bank on the Western Distributor Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

This happened over the weekend? It's now Thursday. Surprised no child has cut themselves. What on earth do we pay tax for if they can't even sweep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RuthieRose wrote: »
    This happened over the weekend? It's now Thursday. Surprised no child has cut themselves. What on earth do we pay tax for if they can't even sweep it up!

The council don't do daily sweeping in the suburbs, but will clear the debris when they come to fix the shelter. (And remember, quite a few people are still refusing to pay their property taxes ....)

I don't know what sort of glass it is, but assume it's the same as the bus shelter in Roscam that got done over a few times last winter. Not the same as glass used in domestic setting which breaks into very-sharp bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

(And remember, quite a few people are still refusing to pay their property taxes ....)

I don't know what sort of glass it is, but assume it's the same as the bus shelter in Roscam that got done over a few times last winter. Not the same as glass used in domestic setting which breaks into very-sharp bits.

True, but Unfortunately there's a catch 22 in some cases.
    If the council repeatedly refuse to deal with some situations, like repeated water outages and leaks, dumping etc tha went on long before the tax came in., there's no way people will feel any obligation to pay property tax for a service they don't get.

Took at least a few days maybe a week for the smashed SQR shelter to be 'cleaned' although I saw cyclists themselves sweeping the glass that was 'missed' off the path.

Just as an aside, does anyone know is the reason Perspex isn't used to do with graffiti, as in people could engrave plastic easier than glass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

jkforde wrote: »
    we all have phones with cameras so how about we let the council know when we see vandalism or places that just need a clean up (e.g. [email]<no mails thx>[/email]). in New York they've a strong zero-tolerance policy of immediately and repeatedly cleaning up any vandalism or hate graffiti and it's worked, the city's crime is at an all time low. but it's taken NY's active citizens getting off their arses & lending a hand by letting the local authority know when they notice a local issue. these gob****es smashing things up are a tiny minority but we just shrug and take it? huh?

I was going to call you out on your Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc but someone else already did with the Roe v Wade comment.

I love the internet. Hive-mind etc.

I was going to call you out on your Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc but someone else already did with the Roe v Wade comment.

I love the internet. Hive-mind etc.

To be fair, and accurate, the comment was "and Roe vs Wade".

Since Latin seems to be enjoying a mini revival, mirabile dictu, I should point out that Steve Levitt was not speaking ex cathedra on the abortion versus crime question: http://www.economist.com/node/5246700/print?story_id=5246700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

evoke wrote: »
    report it to the gardas. if they catch the guys and have your photos they can charge them for more offenses.

They won't care, there's only two (non traffic corp) garda cars at any given time for galway city as it is.....

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I've seen bus shelters vandalised several times, and I've wondered why that type of glass is used (ie the kind that smashes into a million pieces and gives vandals a thrill). I think at least one on the SQR was smashed up within a short time of being erected.

Is there a reason why another type of glass might not be more suitable?

That said, vandalism is not the only lawbreaking I see in Knocknacarra, and there is rarely a sign of any enforcers around (except just passing through in their vehicles, as far as I can see).

It's safer to have glass break into tiny pieces if you are anywhere near it compared to large shards that could lodge into you.

It always made me wonder, why use glass then? why not clear plastic? B&Q sell big huge sheets of it as a glass alternative but then again, it's flammable...

yer man! wrote: »
    It's safer to have glass break into tiny pieces if you are anywhere near it compared to large shards that could lodge into you.

It always made me wonder, why use glass then? why not clear plastic? B&Q sell big huge sheets of it as a glass alternative but then again, it's flammable...

I presume it is tempered 'safety' glass, but it does seem to have the unfortunate characteristic of attracting gibshotes who like smashing things for entertainment. I don't know whether a better solution exists.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I presume it is tempered 'safety' glass, but it does seem to have the unfortunate characteristic of attracting gibshotes who like smashing things for entertainment. I don't know whether a better solution exists.

There is clear polycarbonate I suppose, they use that over in Swansea. Really tough stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Iwannahurl wrote:

In all fairness, that is unbelievably awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

As awesome as it may be.... Any chance they might clean it up???? I had a two year old with me the other day waiting for the bus who wanted to play in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement