Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Draft Match 11: SirDelboy18 v eugeneious

• 12-12-2012 3:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

This match will decide a place in the SF and will last for 48 hours (counting from 3pm today) in which time the participants will need to outline their team, basic strategy, and strategy against their opponent.

There will be a poll but only votes with answers developed in a post will be taken into consideration. This development doesn't have to be paragraphs long, even a single sentence is fine. But don't vote until the competitors have had a chance to outline their teams.

Who wins? 2 votes

SirDelboy18
    0%
    eugeneious
    100%
    eagle eyeIncognitoMan 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Goalkeeper:

For me Brad Friedel is still one of the best 'keepers around and has shown this already this season at Spurs with some incredible performances. It's testament to his ability that Hugo Lloris can't nail down the number 1 jersey because of Brad's form. Has everything a great 'keeper needs, great command of his area, of course wonderful reflexes, good distribution and great decision making. Also has a goal in him :pac: Anyway he will provide a very solid presence behind my back 4 and I don't think you could pick too many faults in Brad.

Defence:

With regards my full-backs O'Shea will give the side plenty of experience and is primarily there for his solid defensive ability, although that's not to say he can't be an attacking threat especially at set-pieces. Taylor on the other hand, while also very good defensively, provides a great attacking outlet on that left hand side and with Carrick in midfield to cover his position when he goes forward Taylor is the exact right type of player to have at left back and his form for Swansea last season and also Wales was consistently excellent.

In central defence Ferdinand and Vidic provide me with the perfect partnership. Obviously they have shown that they suit each others' games very well and I think while many on the draft have 2 good centre-backs, not many have two good-centre backs that balance each other out quite as well as Vidic and Rio do. Both of course possess a great threat from set piece situations. The most important thing about them is of course is their ability and imo Ferdinand has shown this season for Manchester United that he is still among the very best in the league and has even stood out as Utd's best player in some games (Liverpool away in particular comes to mind) and while I can understand people's reservations about Vidic due to his injury, he has also shown this season he is amongst the very best (imo along with Kompany the best) in the league and it was only this time last year when he was helping Utd on the way to 7 clean sheets in a row. Vital player and he is also my choice for captain of the side (just ahead of Vieira)

Midfield:

My midfield is, imo, the strongest area of my team and that is where I believe this team could win any game. First of all Carrick's job is to simply intercept any opposition passes and cover for the defence while also using his long range of passing to supply the likes of Johnson, Moses and Berbatov. People will say Carrick doesn't cope well when pressed by the opposition and this is one of the reasons why I felt it was important to pick two dynamic box-to-box midfielders like Ramires and Vieira who will help relive a lot of the pressure from Carrick. Everyone of course knows just how good Vieira is and imo he is the best player in this side and him and Ramires, who I think is second to only Yaya Toure as the league's best midfielder, will be the real engine of the team and will be immensely important in both defending and setting up attacking play and with their pace, especially that of Ramires', their ability on the counter attack with the pace of Moses as well is a very important strength that this team possesses.

Attack:

With Moses and Johnson either side of Berbatov I feel as though I have struck a perfect balance between the pace of Moses and the great technical ability of Johnson. Both of course are goal threats and imo both will work very well with Berbatov. Johnson also is a threat with set pieces with a very good technique in terms of his delivery from dead-balls. With regards Berbatov, he is just a class act. Only RVP has more goals/assists in the PL since 2008 and I think very little else needs to be said about his ability. Has had a very good goal record where ever he has been, PL golden boot winner and will of course be this team's main attacking threat and will be important in bringing the midfield and wide-men into play.

abDLMn3afX.jpg

Best of luck to SirDelboy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Original write up here.
    [IMG][/img]abDNmKyaZ.jpg

Righteo.

First I'll talk about why I picked my players - then I'll discuss where I'll hurt Liam and hopefully triumph.

Begovic was picked because he has the highest number of clean sheets in the PL, and has made numerous vital saves which saved Stoke from conceding certain goals. He always wins his aerial battles and isn't afraid to show some authority.

My full backs are an integral part of my team. Gibbs before his injury which he has now recovered from was the form left back in the league (along with Baines) and Johnson has been Liverpool's best player bar Suarez this year. The two of them are defensively reliable while providing pace when they go on their surging runs. Vertonghen is a great ball playing centre back - but he has it all really. Extremely accomplished player who has been playing on the left but has recently been moved into the centre, which is his preferred position. Has been overplayed this season - but was extremely good at Old Trafford and will benefit from having the rock Jonas Olsson beside him. Olsson is a leader - and has been immense for West Brom this season. He wins headers and makes blocks by the second and what may also go unnoticed is his ability with the ball at his feet. He is the one who passes the ball out of defense at WBA, and I am very happy with my back 4.

Leon Britton has been extremely talked about over the past year - and this is because of his passing ability. He extremely rarely gives the ball away and marshalls the area in front of the back four extremely well. I can be confident in his ability to keep things moving, acting as a facilitator for other players while initiating attacking moves. Mulumbu has been in great form this year, aided by Yacob. MotM vs Southampton, his main attributes are his drive, energy and strength. More than capable of helping out defensively, but he has shown his ability to link play and create this year, helping WBA to 3rd.

Shaun Maloney is Wigan's main attacking outlet. A goal and four assists this year, he has been along with Al Habsi one of Wigans best players this year, continuing on his form from last year. He has suffered recently from being targeted by the opposition and double marked - but opposition's won't have that luxury here because of my other attackers. Such as Kevin Mirallas - along with Fellaini, Everton's standout player this year. Severely missed when injured, he gives pace and trickery on the wing and has delivered several noteworthy performances. His goalscoring record at previous clubs has shown that he can find the net too. Juan Mata doesn't really need much explanation. A wizard on the ball, dangerous from free-kicks, scores goals, assists. But his work-rate is first class and that is something that drew me to him also. He will run and hassle the opposition, and when he gets the ball he will deliver the passes which have made him a household name.

Leading the line is legendary Jurgen Klinsmann, one of the greatest strikers of the past 25 years. Scored goals wherever he went and although in England he played with a strike partner, in his career he proved more than capable of playing the lone role - his tenacious play making him a nightmare for defenses. Won plaudits across Britain in his first stint - 21 PL goals, a further 9 in the domestic cups and the Football Writers Association Footballer of the Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

eugeneious for me. I can't see SirDelboy18 getting anything in the midfield battle and I don't think his wingers are good enough to pose a serious threat on the counter attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

eug win this one easily enough, better in prety much all the group matchups. his attack is better than delbos defence, defence is beer than delboys attack and he should have the possesion to bring those differences home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Dante

Eugeneious by a good margin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Was going to leave this go but may as well throw up a few points.

1. O'Shea is one of the weakest full backs in the entire league when played there. Vidic hasn't had a solid run in the team for a year. When he came back at the start of the season he wasn't immensely impressive by any means. Ferdinand is far from what he once was, and Taylor is solid.

2. Johnson is pretty useless, and I don't expect either him of Berbatov to help out much defensively - because they never do. Likewise Moses isn't the greatest at getting back, and considering I have one of the best full back pairings in the draft, I reckon I'd win the wide battle very easily.

3. Yes his midfield is strong, but Britton and Mulumbu will sit a little deeper when necessary - regardless, Mata and Klinsmann are renowned for their work rate - they will close down while Johnson and Berbatov are strolling about the place.

Genuinely don't see how this is an easy win for Eugenious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

eugeneious
    In a tight game I'm not convinced eugeneious has the players to make the breakthrough up top. I have to agree with SirDelboy18's points of the work rate of eugeneious front line.

Ferdinand and Vidic would have been a great pair a season or two ago. Now even when both will be fit I dont think they will go back to being first choice. Oshea has fallen badly as well.

Johnson has only ever shown glimpses of brilliance. But at 25 he has a lot to prove for me. Sitting on citys bench has done him no favours

When its comes to attack SirDelboy18's front 4 look more impressive to me and I think they will cause more problems and create more goal scoring chances

No doubt eugeneious's midfield is one of the best in the draft but Im unconvinced he has a front line that will cause enough problems and will score more than SirDelboy18 so for that reason Ill go

2-1 SirDelboy18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Easy win for Eugeneious....as has already been said he will be completely over run in midfield, and his wingers don't pose enough of a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

eugeneious
    Very tight affair and I feel that Eugenious will have a lot more possession but I don't like his players up top and I'm not gone on his defense either. For me this looks like a game where the team with less possession takes the points because they will be far more potent in front of goal. Sir Dellboy for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

eugeneious wins, unlucky SirDelboy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement