Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVO 2013 thread- Fighting is TRAGIC

Options
  • 12-12-2012 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hey folks. Came across this in my twitter feed. Paris hotel are taking reservations for EVO 2013. Just checked the rates, they're not bad for 4 people staying ($184pp / €142 check-in 11th, check-out 15th). I'm not sure how the whole thing will work out with 4 people in one room (sleeping bags for 3 people and 1 person bed?), might be less crowded though with 3 or 2 people in each room (3: $205 / 2: $248) or if you're picky about privacy, $496 for 1 person.

Anyway, just thought I'd give a heads-up. I'm not sure if I'll be going yet as I have to look over the feasibility for this myself. It's currently working out between €758-€997 and that's without a bit of extra cash to spend on food, drink etc. so I'm guessing I'll need €100 or more spending money.

I've checked a few different airlines (Ryanair, AerLingus, British Airways and KLM). Ryanair). Ryanair don't seem to go to USA? I can't find the option there. British Airways is €1k so waaay high and KLM is high too but much better than ba (€616). AerLingus were also ridiculous (€1k) so personally, I'd go with KLM if I'll be going. I haven't looked at other airlines as I don't know much about them but if you know of any other good airlines, please let us know.

Link: http://www.totalrewards.com/hotel-reservations?propCode=PLV&groupCode=SPRKX3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

the flights are too much, evo is good and i would recommend anybody into fighting games to visit the tournament but i would seriously recommend people to go to japan instead, if you love your video games thats the place to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

chunkis wrote: »
    evo is good and i would recommend anybody...to visit the tournament but i would seriously recommend people to go to japan instead
    Recommend us to go to EVO, but recommend we go to Japan instead? :/

Nah, I know what you mean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://shoryuken.com/2013/01/08/evo-2013-details-game-lineup-get-your-game-to-evo-and-road-to-evo-events/

The Evo 2013 games have been announced:

• Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
    • Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    • Mortal Kombat 9
    • Street Fighter X Tekken 2013
    • King of Fighters XIII
    • Persona 4 Arena
    There's also a donation drive for an eighth game. (I'm calling it now: My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic will win. Never underestimate the capacity of bronies to throw ridiculous amounts of money at anything remotely MLP-related.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Hope soul calibur wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Ryanair don't seem to go to USA? I can't find the option there.

It would be some 737 that'd make it to Vegas from here!:P

All joking aside, flying to America is expensive (surprise, surprise).

The KLM deal sounds like a steal. I wouldn't have guessed anything below a grand. You should check out the yanks too, like Delta or American Airlines.

• Advertisement

yefvj.png

welp

Yep. I like my ponies, but as soon as I saw them on the list the anger started rising.

Yes, they're going to win and that means ****loads of money for charity (Bronies always steamroll these things), but on the other hand now one of the top 8 Evo games is going to be an unfinished mess (probably) that no one knows how to play, and very few bronies are likely to show up for.

Idiocy.

However, on the other other hand, maybe Wizard planned this. Knowing Bronies will annihilate the poll they'll both generate a ton of money for charity and free up loads of time at the tournament for other stuff so they look like time keeping gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

As a fighting game player, I'm annoyed that a game with a bigger scene won't win. Especially with this.
    As a fighting game tournament organizer, I'm in awe of his masterstroke, simultaneously generating a bucket of charity and not having to lift a finger (relatively speaking) to run this tournament.

So I will go on not caring, and drinking through out whatever time they decide to stream this at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I honestly can't say if this Ponygate development is better or worse than a Smash game being voted into Evo....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Yreval wrote: »

I'm dropping Marvel for this ****

I'll be training with my bro Daigo as he teachs me Applejack setups

• Advertisement

Voa wrote: »
    Especially with this.
    Tis nice of the Mane6 guys to tell the bronies to vote for what they actually want and not just ponies for the sake of ponies.

Yessss.. preciousss.. direct all that brony insanity into voting for Skullgirls...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

If that's one of the main games at EVO the stream chat will be a sight to behold for however long it's on.

So they changed the voting scenario because Ponies.

Basically they realized that MLP will likely not be finished before EVO, and even if it is people will have virtually no hands on time with it before then, so if it wins it'll be a cluster**** of random.

So to accommodate this, MLP is no longer a contender for the 8th spot at EVO.

However, MLP will have a large area all to itself in the Indie Showcase portion of EVO and will host its own tournament. If MLP still wins the poll the top 8 from that side tournament will get on the main stage. Whatever game comes second in the poll will get the official 8th game slot at EVO and will have its entire run streamed like the other 7 games.

If a non-MLP game wins, it's business as usual.

As an added bonus the winner of the poll will now get $1000 added to their prize pot.

With 16 days to go currently the top games are:

My Little Pony - $3,800
    Smash Bros Melee - $2,500
    Skullgirls - $2,400
    Dead or Alive 5 - $1,200
    Guilty Gear - $1,100

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Hope smash wins. Fun game. It's not balanced and is a bit broken but sure that's never stopped games being fun before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kirby wrote: »
    Hope smash wins. Fun game. It's not balanced and is a bit broken but sure that's never stopped games being fun before :p

Melee is fairly well balanced. There's a decent number of truly viable characters. The main problem is only certain stages are balanced, but the stages to be used can be selected before the game, so it's not an issue.

Melee is the best.

Sounds like we need to have a free melee tournament at our next event. Prize can be a banana in honour of in-jokes and tripping.

http://shloubfree.free.fr/evo.php

State of play as I type this (with around five hours left, I think);

Melee: $39,720
    ST: $37,030
    Skullgirls: $30,347

For the longest time it was between SSBM and SG, until a massive surge in ST donations a few days ago - rumor has it that an obscenely rich Japanese ST player put up $20,000. However, in the past few hours:

https://twitter.com/ProtomCannon/status/297103451144482816
    Recent ST donations are under review. If you want to donate to ST because you think it has a chance to win, pls hold off for now. RT me!

The drama! Apparently it's being checked because a bunch of ST players are donating loads of money, but plan on claiming fraudulent use of their credit cards and withdrawing the money if it looks like they're going to lose.

I've been following this pretty closely on the Smash and Skullgirls boards. It's been a hilarious soap opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

evo8thgame.appspot.com
    Stat counter.

Courtesy of PPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Brawl > Melee foreva.

• Advertisement

Lythero wrote: »
    Brawl > Melee foreva.

Get out

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Seeing as this thread has become the Evo discussion thread, I went ahead and changed the title.

Congrats to Melee I guess. I hope Skullgirls gets kudos for its good performance.

I really really hope the Melee scene doesn't show its scumbag side in this by doing charge-back fraud on a breast cancer charity =/

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

If Smash is going to be at Evo it better be this hype. :pac:

This isn't reeeeeally about the Charity Battle, but we can all rest easy about My Little Pony being taken out of the running. I also didn't want to start a whole new topic.

BLAM Headshot.

Fighting is Magic Receives Cease and Desist.

Sairus wrote: »
    This isn't reeeeeally about the Charity Battle, but we can all rest easy about My Little Pony being taken out of the running. I also didn't want to start a whole new topic.

BLAM Headshot.

Fighting is Magic Receives Cease and Desist.
    I'm surprised -- wouldn't the fact that they are creating original assets BASED on a property mark it under fair use?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nevflinn

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm surprised -- wouldn't the fact that they are creating original assets BASED on a property mark it under fair use?

Arguably. But even so, the developers couldn't afford to defend themselves in court against a corporation like Hasbro.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Nevflinn wrote: »
    Arguably. But even so, the developers couldn't afford to defend themselves in court against a corporation like Hasbro.

What Nev said. It's proven incredibly hard in cases in the past to argue using fair use.

This is a very, very silly step from Hasbro. Fan communities keep all their properties alive in the lean times. Transformers Mosaic is a perfect example of the community keeping their IPs alive when they could not.

I understand the difficulties toy companies have maintaining their copyrights (Hot Rod hasn't been called Hot Rod for years because of it) but I cannot see how FIM was a threat at all.

I am disappoint!

Yer wan Faust behind FIM has tweeted the dev team asking if she provided some original characters if they'd like to continue.

That is pretty awesome and a big, deserved FU to Hasbro.

• Advertisement

Coming soon: Fighting is Magic: Unicorn edition (?)

Advertisement