Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 won't read DVDs/PS2 originals but reads DVD-Rs and CDs

• 12-12-2012 4:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Hi all. As the title says, I'm a little confused as to why my PS2 won't read my PS2 originals. It was previously modded but after some issues with the modchip, it was removed. If I were honest, I didn't own any PS2 games before getting my PS2 since it was one of those consoles that I messed around with between playing on PS3 but after since having the modchip removed, I bought the 3 games that I play most of all but my PS2 won't read them at all. 2 of the games have perfect discs and one of them was brand new but my PS2 won't read any of them. I just put in the disc, it tries to read it for a while, then nothing happens, I just get taken back to the browser screen. I tried one of my DVD films in it, same problem. It does read Audio CDs and seems to have no issues actually reading a DVD-R backup (though I get the red screen ofcourse because it's not an original game) so I'm a bit confused.

I checked the bottom of my PS2 and it is a PAL console (SCPH-90004) and the games I bought are PAL so region-wise, it doesn't make much sense, unless it's an NTSC console in a PAL shell? If that is the case, what are the symptoms associated with trying to load an import game into an unmodded PS2? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Ok, an update on the situation, my PS2 does read PAL games fine but only when I turn on Diagnosis mode so could this suggest that the lens just needs a slight bit more voltage by adjusting the DVD pot to read games without using diagnosis mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd say the laser unit is on its way out, wouldn't be unusual for a PS2. You could try adjusting the pot but its usually a stop gap measure at best. Replacement is the proper way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Junsuina Chikara

Ok thanks EnterNow. I've found 2 different lens models (PVR-802W KHS-430 and PVR-802W KHM-430) so which one would be compatible with a V18 (SCPH-9000x) PS2 Slim?

Advertisement