Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eminem - Slane 2013 - All discussion ***No ticket sales/swaps permitted***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

I actually can't believe the negatives; the show was pure class, really well put together and everything - it might have been 80min, but there was hardly a pause between songs, lighting and sound were perfect, Eminem himself puts on a really great show IMO. Worth the price, definitely - the Encore bit was nicely done. Speaking of Encore, I'd have liked to have heard "Just Lose it" or "Never Enough"; he didn't take much from that album at all; Eminem Show album was the backbone of it; maybe 2 each from his first 2, some recent stuff and Lose Yourself - similar enough if not the same to the list of the Belgian gig that was posted. Survival will be a smash-hit.

Crowd were well-behaved and worryingly sober for a concert crowd, but it was pretty much a W.T.P. as mentioned earlier.

As for supports, Plan B was pretty good in my opinion, remember he had to drag it out a bit and all... the supports directly before Eminem were good, beatboxer was entertaining. Yelawolf whatever they were before them were awful IMO - I got in at 6.10, so whoever was there at that time, yeah, they were pretty dire anyway. Beatboxer/dubsteppy guy (Possibly Earlwolf?) was unreal live, worth saying twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

I actually can't believe the negatives; the show was pure class, really well put together and everything - it might have been 80min, but there was hardly a pause between songs, lighting and sound were perfect, Eminem himself puts on a really great show IMO. Worth the price, definitely - the Encore bit was nicely done. Speaking of Encore, I'd have liked to have heard "Just Lose it" or "Never Enough"; he didn't take much from that album at all; Eminem Show album was the backbone of it; maybe 2 each from his first 2, some recent stuff and Lose Yourself - similar enough if not the same to the list of the Belgian gig that was posted. Survival will be a smash-hit.

Crowd were well-behaved and worryingly sober for a concert crowd, but it was pretty much a W.T.P. as mentioned earlier.

As for supports, Plan B was pretty good in my opinion, remember he had to drag it out a bit and all... the supports directly before Eminem were good, beatboxer was entertaining. Yelawolf whatever they were before them were awful IMO - I got in at 6.10, so whoever was there at that time, yeah, they were pretty dire anyway. Beatboxer/dubsteppy guy (Possibly Earlwolf?) was unreal live, worth saying twice.

Yelawolf was amazing.

You probably came in during Tyler and earlwolf, the beat boxer was hyping up Plan B and wasting a bit of time I think no?

Nobody today was awful IMO, not even plan B, who were the biggest let down of the day for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I thought eminem was good but his set was way too short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

god the more I think of it the more disappointed I am. it was so rushed, no crowd interaction from em, he just seemed like he wanted to gtfo of there.
    I enjoyed it while I was there, don't get me wrong, but I really thought I was going to be blown away (had never seen him before)
    it did look like he was miming too, but maybe that's just because I'm shocked anyone could rap all of those lyrics perfectly :P

personally I love slane as a venue, the castle as a backdrop makes it feel magical, fair fcukin trek back to the bus though, but I just shut down most of my senses and kept ploughing on silently,
    willing myself not to roll into the ditch and wait to be carried! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

You must've been the bloke in the chopper then

I left before the fireworks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Over all it was w good gig, I thought Chance the Rapper and Yelawolf were the lowest points, chance just has no stage presence andcyela, between the ****ing atrocious lyrics and having no flow was ****ing painful.

Thought Plan B was class, played some older stuff as well as stuff from his last two albums, Ill Manors is class live.

Highlight for me was Slaughterhouse because I'm a big fan of Royce, Joell and Joey so was cool to see them live, liked when they did the medly of their solo stuff, went a bit mad when Boom started plating.

Em's set was good. Whoever said it looked like he was mining, the video was out of sync by about 2 seconds so if you were going by that, it was just the video being off.

Tyler sucks, Earl can rap his ass off though.

The beatboxers name is Faith SFX, he tours with Plan B a fair bit, it wasn't wasting time, the man is a legend in the hip-hop community.

Can make no comment of the state of the arena, the walk from the bus, how long it took to get in or out though, wasn't an issue for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Charlie Babbitt

Yes. the walk for those that came via bus mental, was at least 3 1/2 miles to the concert entrance but those with cars may not have had to walk as far, but boy did we also have a trek of our own.

Cars heading to the concert were stopped just on the edge of Slane and told to drive to Navan!

Yup, the only way to get to the concert was to drive to Navan, head for kells and then take the backroads to the other side of Slane. Which must have been close to a 20 mile detour. Disgraceful. Would be like stopping traffic coming from the south and heading to a gig or match in Croke Park, then diverting them out to Finglas, Ashbourne and then bringing them in the north side of Croke Park via Swords! Madness.

For the love of God could they not have had a few fields south of Slane for cars also.

I also don't understand why the long road that is right outside the castle couldn't have been used for buses instead of having people treking that distance, many of them in wheelchairs and on crutches.

Will never return to Slane again. I don't care if Elvis himself turns up alive and decides that'll be were he wants his comeback gig to be, with Bowie backing him up. It still wouldn't be worth the hassle.

As for Eminem:

He went through the motions, coming across as disconnected.
    Showed zero respect to his own songs (doing a Madonna to half of 'em).

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭BearThomas131

My car blew up on the way down had to get a tow and a loan of a car got stung in the neck by a wasp twice and my feet are in ribbons ........... Totally worth it

The whole day was amazing , chance was good wasn't really paying attention to him tho, earl wolf were class loved tyler , yellawolf and slaughterhouse were amazing, plan b was crap didn't suit the bill at all and eminem ripped slane apart my third time seeing him and he still blew me away , greatest rapper of all time !!

Great craic in the campsite, I will be camping at slane gigs from now on,

What a day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Chance: Sounds good, will look him up, tried to connect with the crowd.
    Slaughterhouse: Got the crowd going, I'm not their biggest fan though.
    Yelawolf: Serious, unreal stage presence and good setlist.
    Earlwolf: The earl guy is a serious rapper, don't really like Tyler. He was good in terms of stage presence though. The bass was way overpowering for their whole set, in fact it made me and a good few around me (in the pit) queasy.
    Plan B: Didn't connect with the crowd at all.
    Eminem: Unbelievable. Loved the setlist. Definitely wasn't miming, could clearly here the difference between his recorded songs and him performing. Interaction with the crowd could have been better, but that's about the only complaint I'd have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

dobman88 wrote: »
    All in all a fantastic day, got to see one of my musical idols and no matter who is on in Slane next year I will be back. What an amazing venue!!

Fair play and delighted ya had a good time!
    The bit in bold however I just don't understand, it's a field with a stage set up..how on earth can it be an amazing venue or any different than all the other outdoor concerts :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Thought it was a pretty class day all in all, but I'm a huge Eminem fan so he could have come out, sung Baa Baa Black Sheep and headed back in and I'd have loved it.

Got there about 12.30 and got pit passes which was brilliant - was worried when I was still on the coach and hearing people were getting them already! Went through three or four checks alright. The first one didn't even find the bottle of water in my bag. The second found it but didn't even take the lid. I threw it out after that, but did manage to sneak another bottle in with me - I think it might have been noticed at the frisk search, but the girl didn't mind. She seemed more interested in deciding whether to take my eyelash curlers (she could have kept them if she wanted - wasn't exactly planning on using them in there).

Thought Chance the Rapper was very good as were Yelawolf and Slaughterhouse. The beat box guy was absolutely class. Some one of them - not sure which - kept asking if we were drinking Guinness y'all. Um - no. The only pints at the bar are Heineken!

I thought Plan B were brilliant but, as mentioned, they did seem a bit pissed about the lack of crowd interaction and I don't blame them! I was in the pit up the front and could barely lift my arms afterwards from dancing, but I couldn't believe the amount of people just standing there with their arms crossed until Em came on. Like seriously - why would you just stand there like a block of wood for 8 hours???

Rain came bucketing down around 1ish. Seriously heavy - we were hiding under some fence covering but still got drenched. But it was warm so nobody minded. Rained again later on, but was dry for most of it.

There were some very long waits between acts - between Chance and Slaughterhouse felt like about an hour. Eminem was delayed coming on after 9.

Thought Eminem was great, but then, that's probably 'cause I love him. He didn't mention the cancelled gig which I was surprised about, and it did feel like he was rocketing through some of the songs. He was blasting around the stage though and created a great atmosphere.

The walk back to the coaches seemed to take forever, but once we got there, there was no queue to get on and was back in Dublin by around 1.

I wish:
    1. there was a better bar selection;
    2. there had been less of a wait between the acts;
    3. I was still there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

SV wrote: »
    The bit in bold however I just don't understand, it's a field with a stage set up..how on earth can it be an amazing venue or any different than all the other outdoor concerts :confused:

Its actually a really good natural ampitheatre so the soubd at slane is excellent and pretty much everywhere on the arean is a good viewpoint. Its a lot different than the likes of leopardstown or phoenix park where its flat and the sound just gets lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

She seemed more interested in deciding whether to take my eyelash curlers

A gig in a muddy field and you're bringing eyelash curlers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

A gig in a muddy field and you're bringing eyelash curlers?

:pac: I didn't pack them specially - they were at the bottom of my handbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Great gig, only arrived in time for yelawolf but still got to the barrier behind the pit, got absolutely flattened when mosh came on by eminem, a good 500 people just hit the deck, rescued some poor youngone who's head was literally getting walked on when we all got flattened. His setlist was great, was delighted he playee just don't give a ****, one of my favourite eminem songs, throat is in a bad way from pretty much screaming the lyrics to stan! Getting to and from the coaches would be enough to make me not wanna go to slane again, serious hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gemima123

I thought he amazing, no complaints!! I Dont know what yiz are all complainin bout d walk, slane concerts have always involved a trek, nothing new there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

What a fantastic show! And this is coming from a hard core heavy metal/rock fan!

About 4 - 5 bag checks on the way in and a metal detector search (thankfully)

Only got there to see a lad beat boxing something incredible and as someone who never really listened to Plan B, I was impressed. Not amazing, but enjoyable to listen to.

Eminem was amazing! It was a short set with nice leads ons, but I suppose at his age and status, he can do whatever he wants and I still love him for it.

His mic seemed a bit low, but then I was atop the hill, so may have been just too far back, but whenever he tried interacting, his mic was low sounding, but then he could just be a perfect soft spoken gentleman.

Got Dublin bus back to Dublin, in fairness, it was well planned out. Every bus going back to Dublin honoured tickets and they had barriers sorted for crowd control and lanes so 7+ buses could pull up with ease and let people on. Got back to Dublin about 12:30am.

The crowd themselves were pretty gross - mainly the one girl who after Plan B, squatted down beside me, I thought she going to throw up or was about to pass out. But instead she took a nice long pi$$ in the middle of the crowd, with her hair hanging over her face. She then pulled up her pants and ran off with her boyfriend who looked very red in the face :rolleyes::o

But other then that, I've no complaints, great act and as safe as can be! :)

Edit: Oh and I didn't get stabbed -win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Emm511

Zwillinge wrote: »
    What a fantastic show! And this is coming from a hard core heavy metal/rock fan!

Only got there to see a lad beat boxing something incredible and as someone who never really listened to Plan B, I was impressed. Not amazing, but enjoyable to listen to.

Eminem was amazing! It was a short set with nice leads ons, but I suppose at his age and status, he can do whatever he wants and I still love him for it.

His mic seemed a bit low, but then I was atop the hill, so may have been just too far back, but whenever he tried interacting, his mic was low sounding, but then he could just be a perfect soft spoken gentleman.

Got Dublin bus back to Dublin, in fairness, it was well planned out. Every bus going back to Dublin honoured tickets and they had barriers sorted for crowd control and lanes so 7+ buses could pull up with ease and let people on. Got back to Dublin about 12:30am.

The crowd themselves were pretty gross - mainly the one girl who after Plan B, squatted down beside me, I thought she going to throw up or was about to pass out. But instead she took a nice long pi$$ in the middle of the crowd, with her hair hanging over her face. She then pulled up her pants and ran off with her boyfriend who looked very red in the face :rolleyes::o

Ha ha I must have been standing right beside you iseen that girl take the piss in the middle of the crowd. I was shocked. Crowd were quite dodgy but seen no trouble. Eminem was amazing had a fantastic day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

I taught it was a great gig
    Eminems set list was top notch. I would agree with the comments on plan B, amazing performance but just couldn't work the crowd. When he started belting out end credits I nearly wet myself.
    I didn't see any trouble as in fights, although me and missus got spiked I wouldn't judge a gig over 2 scumbags trying to lead my missus away. Just grateful I clocked what was happening before the pills hit me.
    It was my first time at slane and its the best venue I have ever being at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

Zwillinge wrote: »

Edit: Oh and I didn't get stabbed -win :D

My mate who is a girl took a lond p¥¥s in the crowd. Horrible. Classy bird

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Wils110 wrote: »
    I taught it was a great gig
    Eminems set list was top notch. I would agree with the comments on plan B, amazing performance but just couldn't work the crowd. When he started belting out end credits I nearly wet myself.
    I didn't see any trouble as in fights, although me and missus got spiked I wouldn't judge a gig over 2 scumbags trying to lead my missus away. Just grateful I clocked what was happening before the pills hit me.
    It was my first time at slane and its the best venue I have ever being at.

Wish I was spiked :( couldn't have any beer as it attracted the wasps. I hate them, had to throw my beer away :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

daft punk for slane 2014 we all can dream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Just remembered, was in the pit at one stage and there was these two girls with headphones on dancing away to their own music, wtf like!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

So, yet another 'stabfest' with little or no trouble!

What an incredible show he put on. I have never in my life seen so many people in one place (in person).

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Must say Slane was very good last night. For an outdoor concert, the venue is very good. My only gripe would be how slow it was getting out, and even then that should be expected. At the green exit I think, to get to Slane village you had the option to take the straight route out or the route on the right - except in the end the right route just looped back onto the straight through route and leaving you back a good bit further than you were originally. :confused:

Acts wise, I only saw Yelawolf onwards, the acts were great! Yelawolf was actually fantastic. Very little people knew his songs, understandably enough, yet they still managed to bop along thanks to his stage presence. Does anyone else think that he looked absolutely minuscule on the large stage however? :pac:

Earlwolf were great too, and absolutely mad in the head too! Plan B then was only alright. He seemed like he never wanted to be there compared to the previous support acts who seemed like they were having the time of their lives - it made a difference. Ill Manors was absolutely great but other than that he seemed to make the atmosphere go a little flat and it was an awful long wait for him if you take into account that the beatboxer, who was pretty good too, came on before him.

Then finally Eminem just really went through the motions. He was absolutely great too, although for some of his songs he only did one verse of them so it was a little hard to keep up with him. The mic itself seemed a little low, as it was hard to hear him both rapping and talking to the crowd.

Overall, the sound itself was fairly good however a lot of the songs seemed very tame, especially the more notable songs like Yonkers and Lose Yourself. Would've made a huge difference to the whole thing! The only trouble I saw the whole day was a pair of people arguing, which of course isn't much :pac: There was a fierce smell of weed all about the place though and even though there was a couple of frisks on the way they weren't done properly, for me, and I could have easily snuck something in in the back pocket. A well organised concert nonetheless and I would definitely head to Slane again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

SV wrote: »

Have you been to Slane? If you have and compare it to Punchestown, Marlay Park, Phoenix Park, IMMA, you will have
    noticed that Slane is basically a big hill with the stage at the bottom which
    means everyone has an excellent view and the sound is usually excellent due
    the natural lie of the land creating a valley effect.

Also, the back drop of the castle, the
    trees and river make it very picturesque!!

That's why it's better than all others in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wasn't at the gig myself but just saw this posted on fb from Eminem which is rare for him to shout out places after a concert is over.

Thank you Ireland for a great time. We'll be back... On to Glasgow and Paris.

999419_10151567580325079_943772969_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Seeing some people on my newsfeed going to it, lots of them wearing them snapback hats. Cringe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Wasn't at the gig myself but just saw this posted on fb from Eminem which is rare for him to shout out places after a concert is over.

Thank you Ireland for a great time. We'll be back... On to Glasgow and Paris.

[IMG]https:fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/999419_10151567580325079_943772969_n.jpg[/IMG]

Sure if I was getting that kinda money for 80 mins I'd be back too. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Seeing some people on my newsfeed going to it, lots of them wearing them snapback hats. Cringe.

cringe to wear a snapback ? what do you expect people to wear to a hip hop concert ... an aran sweater and a sombrero ?

Advertisement