Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs V Swansea

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Great play by Lloris, brilliant punch. Took Michu out, but completely legal challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

up to 4th after 8mins inj time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Back in 4th

Great stuff, well deserved win. Swansea just defended for most of the match and I think we fully earned that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

weird last few mins but a lot a lot of heart & belief in our side today overall deserved win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Didn't think we would score but we managed to pull one out in the end. Dominated the match completely from about the 10th minute until the 85th. Williams deservedly won MOTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Good win, thought we were going to concede late again but we hung on, Sandro was a beast again, it will be interesting to see what he does with Scotty back, will it be a case of Sandro or Parker to start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Well deserved, the team played good and fcuk me Lloris is one ballsy dude, he's out so quick and has the reflexes of a cat!

Townsend was very good when he came on, should be pushing Lennon for a starting spot in my opinion..

Super, Super Jan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Very happy with today's performance. We dominated throughout and eventually got the goal we desperately needed.

As well as we played, the outlet which Bale provides was evidently missed.

I was delighted to see Andros Townsend to get a run out, he could be our most natural replacement for Bale, if he leaves.

Lloris didn't have much to do, but what he did do he did brilliantly. He fills me with great confidence and is the first piece of AVB's jigsaw.

Can anyone finish the Jan song the crowd was singing....

"Vertonghen ohhhhh, vertonghen ohhhhhhh.... He comes from Amsterdam...."

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

I think its "He plays for Tottenham"

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

delighted with the win. we dominated the game and pretty much nullified any swansea attack. great to get a clean sheet for a change!

we defended well up until the 80min mark and then you could see the nerves from the crowd reflect the players (particularly walker and naughton but they just lack experience). despite putting ourselves under unnecessary pressure late on, it will be a big boost not to have conceded. i have to say i was getting very nervous. considering the amount of chances we had, we should have won by 3-4. we just lacked dat finishin instinct.

great to see scotty back, but if i was avb id keep sandro in the 1st team, he's been immense. i hope ade's injury is nothin serious, we'll b a bit short in the striking department then. the more i think about it, getting lloris in is some bit of business, delighted we have a long term top keeper. i was very impressed with townsend wen he came on, not afraid to take on his man which was great to see.

then theres super jan, lads wat can i say... wat a finish:eek::D reminded me of RVP! never in doubt with him defensively (we just need daws or caulker beside him instead of gallas). he's a top top player.

like i said delighted with the win:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Nice win yesterday - we deserved it 100%. Looked solid throughout and should have won by more.

Agree with what most people say above - verts is a real good player - one of the signings of the season.

We are joint 3rd guys coming into xmas - i would have gladly taken this at the start of the season.

One thing i dont like is that we have lost 6 games and we arent even half way through - that could end up with us losing 14 games this season - i cant see us getting 4th with that many losses.

mickman wrote: »
    that could end up with us losing 14 games this season - i cant see us getting 4th with that many losses.

I think the above quote is hypothetically pessimistic. We could also easily say, based on how competitive the league is this season, if we only lose ten by the end of the season we could possibly come first or second.

Man Utd have lost three and conceded 24 in December, which is unusual. While Citeh have had 6 draws which could have easily ended up as losses.

My point being, we are where we deserve to be at the moment. If us, and all the teams around us, carry on the way we're going then we'll finish fourth.

Hopefully Arsenal don't win the Champions League! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Good win again, keeps us in the mix coming in to xmas. Another winnable game next sat, hopefully another 3pts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I said in pre-season that I could live with the inconsistent performances (and results) as long as we were within touching distance of 4th come christmas time, so I'm a happy camper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

yeah i understand what you are saying but my point was that historically losing 12+ games in a season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I know what you mean. anything more than 10 loses and we can forget it.

I'm also concerned that we are not really giving anyone a good thumping. Okay 3-0 at fulham was only a few weeks ago but the scoreline didnt reflect the game.

I know what you mean. anything more than 10 loses and we can forget it.

I'm also concerned that we are not really giving anyone a good thumping. Okay 3-0 at fulham was only a few weeks ago but the scoreline didnt reflect the game.

Well that could be down to how opposition teams are playing against us. Look at Swansea - admired for their free-flowing attacking football, yet yesterday they didn't have a single shot on target. 11 men behind the ball for most of the match and I cannot understand how the possession stats were roughly 50/50 when, to my eye at least, it looked like we had the ball for 70 - 80% of the game!

If a team, and a good team in the case of Swansea, put that many players behind the ball, it can be very difficult to break them down. Add to this Lennon's inability to deliver the final ball and 2 - 3 last ditch and probably goal-saving tackles which, on another day may have gone in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Had a great day at the Lane Yesterday,thought it was heading for a scoreless draw until Verts done the biz,Dembele had a great game but I would give my MOTM to Lennon he ran himself into the ground from start to finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

A good win, especially with the gooners destroying Reading last night, our goal difference needs a serious boost.
    Any one see Gary Neville's analysis of Spurs back four pushing out as fast as possible vs swansea compared to the everton game?. Seems verthongen was pulling the strings in the back line, good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

mushykeogh wrote: »
    A good win, especially with the gooners destroying Reading last night, our goal difference needs a serious boost.
    Any one see Gary Neville's analysis of Spurs back four pushing out as fast as possible vs swansea compared to the everton game?. Seems verthongen was pulling the strings in the back line, good to see.

No... got a link ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

No... got a link ????

No, it was at the of monday night football last night, not sure if you can view it on skysports site. Showed some clips of us defending deep against everton and the really pushing up against swansea. Very good analysis i thought, really enjoy Gary Neville actually:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

mushykeogh wrote: »
    No, it was at the of monday night football last night, not sure if you can view it on skysports site. Showed some clips of us defending deep against everton and the really pushing up against swansea. Very good analysis i thought, really enjoy Gary Neville actually:o

Although if it wasnt for lloris against michu wed all be on here bemoaning that very tactic. I like the idea of pushing out quickly but only if we actually get the ball cleared. if its still in our half with the opposition i think we have too many headbangers (walker, gallas, naughton at times) for it to work

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Although if it wasnt for lloris against michu wed all be on here bemoaning that very tactic. I like the idea of pushing out quickly but only if we actually get the ball cleared. if its still in our half with the opposition i think we have too many headbangers (walker, gallas, naughton at times) for it to work

Totally agree. The high line works up field when we put pressure on teams trying to play the ball out of defence rather than hoofing it. Swansea were caught out a few times on Sunday. But when they just launch a ball towards or behind our back 4 we look all over the place. Michu was onside and would have scored if it had not been for Lloris ( great at punching the ball but not a great shot stopper). Gallas puts his hands up hoping for offside rather than expecting it a lot of the time.
    Better teams will carve us apart if we do not sort out the defence/high line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Totally agree. The high line works up field when we put pressure on teams trying to play the ball out of defence rather than hoofing it. Swansea were caught out a few times on Sunday. But when they just launch a ball towards or behind our back 4 we look all over the place. Michu was onside and would have scored if it had not been for Lloris ( great at punching the ball but not a great shot stopper). Gallas puts his hands up hoping for offside rather than expecting it a lot of the time.
    Better teams will carve us apart if we do not sort out the defence/high line.

Lloris a poor shot stopper ?!

Eeeeeehhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Emoran wrote: »

Yeah not true, his only weakness is probably crosses into the box such as high balls in from corners but that will come when he settles into to league and knows who his back four are. Similar to De Gea.

He's as good a shot stopper as Brad, he may be smaller in stature but his agility makes up for it. And Friedel does not come off his line which for AVBs high line is suicide, Exhibit A: Michu on Sunday

That said its not a competition, we have two great keepers on our books (some might say four:rolleyes:) but Llloris is the future, the AVB project.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

A couple of points after reading through the thread:
    Vertonghen song: Poster is close but I think that it is "He came from Amsterdam to play for Tottenham". Could be corrected here but was singing it at Goodison - Blast that cheap beer up norf :)

Amount of games lost: Is the glass half empty or half full? Only the Manchester clubs have won more games than us this season.

High line: Interestingly when at Goodison, we were discussing the high line that we were using when defending. I was with the Spurs fans and was level with the 6-yard box in the first half so it was very noticeable. Either Gary Neville was taking selective examples or it fell apart when we were under pressure in the second half - I suspect the latter.

Tactical Awareness: For all the AVB criticisms, he really negated the Swansea strong points. MOTD2 showed how the playing area was really compressed which allowed multiple Spurs players to really pressurise Swansea when they were on the ball. The success can be seen from the game stats. Not sure that it would have happened under Arry (for all my praise of what he did). Overall I think that he is doing fine. There was huge criticism (rightly) of the fact that AVB was only playing one upfront and he seems to have taken that onboard. The return of Kaboul, Benny, Bale and Parker will hugely strengthen the team for the second half of the season - we need to pick up a striker or two though.

Onward and upward hopefully...........

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Emoran wrote: »

Eeeeeehhhhh

never said that. Look at the post again. I said "great at punching the ball not a great shot stopper" as in for all his qualities he is talked about more for his distribution and coming off his line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement