Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VOIP at home and on Mobile ?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

All,

Im looking at replacing 2 PSTN landlines at home with VOIP option.
    Im not too interested in bringing existing numbers (unless its easy and doesnt cost the earth).
    Id have a phone for each of the 2 voip numbers.
    Id also like if possible to have an app for android that I could take the calls from the 2 numbers on as well so I dont have to be rushing to the home phone.

And Id like to be able to make voip calls from the mobile to UK / USA landlines and mobiles.

Can 2 SIP devices be connected to one account simultaneously ?

Anyone know of best options for me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The home phones can be connected to a two port ATA .... there are recommendations in other threads here for those.

I use Linphone on an Android mobile and have no difficulty with multiple accounts and dual registration, but the dual registration might depend on the provider, so I would check that out.

I also use MobilePhone app for VoipWise and that dual registers when in use, with my home set up also.

With VoipWise I pay ~€12.50 incl vat for €10 credit when required.
    It lasts a long time, because I get free landline calls to a large list of locations as well as most of Europe, for 90 days after I get the credit. US & Canadian mobiles are included. See the link below.

Once the 90 free days are gone all calls are charged .... ~2 to ~3 cents per minute with no setup charge.
    That suits me, because I usually make short calls, and a per call setup charge would drive the cost higher, even if the per-minute cost was lower.

http://www.linphone.org/eng/download/packages/android.html
    http://www.voipwise.com/

There are hundreds of providers, so do your homework to choose one with a plan to suit your use, and good reports of their service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes. Many providers can gilve you two SIP accounts.

Something like the Linksys PaP2T (now discontinued), or a Cisco 2 line ATA would suit you well. Maybe the gigaset might suit you. You can setup up to 6 sip accounts and 2 voip concurrent calls.

A provider like Goldfish can do this for €5 + vat per month. You can keep your no. Porting your number now takes 24-48 hours as part of new targets set by ComReg and is free.

Blueface charge an administration fee for porting however.

Where do you call most?

What speed broadband do you have?

Is one of those numbers have dsl on it?

Advertisement