Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

94 Opel Corsa B 1.2

Options
  • 12-12-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi I have just inherited a nice Opel Corsa with low milage and in pretty good condition. Before I start to tackle the timing belt, brakes, filters, Ect. Does anyone know where I can download a manual for this car?

Another question I have concerning the timing belt. Can the crank and camshaft be locked in place without using a tool? I have seen a youtube vid of a guy doing a Vectra He screws a bolt into the crank at TDC and another into the cam sprocket and locks them in place.

Another thing I'm keen to know is are the timing belt tensioner hard to fit? I'm confused as to how to adjust it after fitting.

Finally the crank sensor's on corsa's give problems. Mine is a 94 "older" B type. does it have a crank sensor?

Thanks for reading this post and thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The Old Opel 1.2 8v engine is about as basic as they come and a good engine if you plan on trying a timing belt yourself as they are non interfearance, meaning that if you make a mess of the timing you won't damage anything.

Timing diagram: corsab12timingbelt.jpg

If you are changing the water pump as well you need to be more careful as the orientation of the water pump effects the belt tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Newimperial

Thanks Nissan Doctor
    About the Water pump do you mean I should mark it up? I thought it would only fit one way. like an irregular shaped panel?

Thanks again for replying and the diagram. I have heard they are pretty basic, Agriculturical my friend calls them. but for all that they are reliable.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Thanks Nissan Doctor
    About the Water pump do you mean I should mark it up? I thought it would only fit one way. like an irregular shaped panel?

Thanks again for replying and the diagram. I have heard they are pretty basic, Agriculturical my friend calls them. but for all that they are reliable.

Thanks again.

On most GM engines the water pumps are circular but the impellar/pulley is offset so the position of the pump changes the position of the pulley. On certain engines you actually tension the belt using the water pump. That's not the case on the corsa though.

OK That's good to know. I guess marking up the pump and casing it fits into is the way to go then. The one thing I don't want to make a mess of is the timing belt, even if the engine is non interference.

Thanks again Nissan Doctor.

Hi Again

Does anyone on here know about ECU fitted to a 94 Opel Corsa? I would have thought that a 94 car wouldn't have an ECU unit. It has an engine management light so does that mean it has an ECU? If I wanted to tackle a problem with the engine management light do I need a code reader and where does it plug in?

Sorry about the vague question, I'm fairly new to cars and being told some contrary information depending on who I talk too

Thanks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Its to the left of the fuses behind the cover where your right knee would be.
    Its not OBD II, its the older version.
    A lot of diagnostics can be done by bridging terminals on the plug with a paper clip and decoding the flashes the engine management light gives out.

Cheers Colm MCM

I saw a vid on Youtube of a guy doing that with a Vauxhall corsa and counting the flashes, So I tried it on mine and the light just comes on and stays on. So I guess there are no errors or the ECU might be faulty.

Thanks again.

You need to check your engine type against the chart.

Advertisement