Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stuffing for roast chicken

Options
  • 12-12-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

tell me whats your best way of making it,,,all options welcomed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Stuffing is a very personal thing, hence why I have to make 3 different types for christmas this year.

This is my fav,
    Fry onion with loads of butter until soft, add to your breadcrumbs and add any herbs you like, I use tons of parlsey and thyme. Sage, tarragon ect is all good. Season will with salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice or you can use lemon rind. Taste the stuffing to see if you like it.

Stuff your bird and enjoy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

^ that's my favourite too. I don't think you can beat a nice bread stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

foodaholic wrote: »
    Stuffing is a very personal thing, hence why I have to make 3 different types for christmas this year.

This is my fav,
    Fry onion with loads of butter until soft, add to your breadcrumbs and add any herbs you like, I use tons of parlsey and thyme. Sage, tarragon ect is all good. Season will with salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon juice or you can use lemon rind. Taste the stuffing to see if you like it.

Stuff your bird and enjoy
    My mother cooks something very similar, but also adds roasted hazelnuts. Delicious!

She always makes about 10 times the amount needed for the turkey so we can take it away with us after christmas. So nice to eat by itself

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I make mashed potatoes and allow to cool-(i dont put milk in the mash just butter).
    Saute/ caramelise onions and mash into spuds
    Add a good bit of thyme and a pinch of mixed herbs
    lash of salt and white pepper-
    My gran used to flatten pairs of chicken breasts or butterfly a big one and stuff with this- the stuffing ooozes out and goes all herby and crispy like shepherds pie crust....
    We never had bread stuffing in our house..... divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've made this recipe from GoodFood mag for a few years now and have always impressed my guests:

Sausage Nut Stuffing Cake

2 tbsp olive oil
    25 g butter
    3 shallots, finely chopped
    2 sticks celery, finely chopped
    100 g white breadcrumbs
    500 g good-quality sausagemeat
    50 g roughly chopped walnuts, plus extra to serve
    grated zest 1 small orange
    1 tbsp chopped sage leaves, or 1 tsp dried
    1 egg, beaten
    8 rashers rindless streaky bacon
    handful chopped parsley, to serve

Method:
    • Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Have ready an 18-20cm springform cake tin.
    • Heat the oil and butter and gently fry the shallots and celery for 5 mins without colouring them. Tip into a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, sausagemeat, walnuts, orange zest and sage. Add plenty of pepper and a little salt, if using, and mix together with your hands. Add the egg, then mix well.
    • Arrange the bacon slices in the tin, leaving 5cm strip on the base, then lay them up around the sides of the tin and let the excess hang over the edge. Carefully fill the tin with the stuffing mix, levelling it on top. Fold the bacon over the top of the stuffing, gathering and twisting the ends loosely in the centre. Scatter over the remaining walnuts, pressing them in slightly.
    • Set the tin on a baking sheet to catch any juices that escape, then bake for 40-45 mins until the top is golden. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then remove onto a serving plate and scatter with parsley. Cut into wedges (like cake!) to serve.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

I make a simple onion and herb stuffing but I like shortcuts so I make mine as follows:

Make breadcrumbs from a reasonably fresh sliced pan (just my preference) I use a stick blender for this
    Chop an onion very finely (you can grate it either) and add to crumbs
    Add fresh parsley and thyme
    Season with salt and pepper
    Mix everything together throughly
    Melt butter (not sure how much, I do it by eye)
    Add the melted butter and mix, you can tell by the texture if more is needed
    Bake in an oven proof dish for about half and hour, with a quick stir half way through.

The mix can also be frozen before baking and then baked from frozen. Works very well for me. It's not technically stuffing but I do it this way because we prefer the crumbly texture.

Advertisement