Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for moving away?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone I am going working in america for 8 months next year can anyone recommend me insurance to get? The cheap insurance policies seem to only cover accidents but the good policies are crazy expensive. Anyone recommend anything good but reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hi everyone I am going working in america for 8 months next year can anyone recommend me insurance to get? The cheap insurance policies seem to only cover accidents but the good policies are crazy expensive. Anyone recommend anything good but reasonable?
    do you mean health insurance?

do you know how expensive health care is?`

Per person in Ireland the health system costs 3500 euro (15billion among 4.2million folks) so if your american bill is in proportion to that then its just a reflection of reality of how expensive medical care is.

Healthcare isnt free. Its damn expensive.
    Unfortunately thats a reality that the Irish government manages to shield the public from, which will be fun when the german style medical insurance comes in.
    My medical insurance is 600 a month (half paid by the employer thankfully), and the wife pays similar.
    Its a balls BUT if you want medical care it has to be paid for, and unfortunately the little pixies that cover the bill for "free" health in Ireland (actually the state borrowing heavily which future generations will be paying off) skews that reality.

Its a little like "free" water that actually costs the state 1 billion euro a year in capital inlay and maintenance. Folks are confused when asked to pay the real cost.

anyhow, my point is that to your mind medical care is a low cost thing as you never have to put your hand in your pocket for it or even see it itemised on your wage bill but even in Ireland its expensive despite the fact that its supposedly "free"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

do you mean health insurance?

do you know how expensive health care is?`

Per person in Ireland the health system costs 3500 euro (15billion among 4.2million folks) so if your american bill is in proportion to that then its just a reflection of reality of how expensive medical care is.

Healthcare isnt free. Its damn expensive.
    Unfortunately thats a reality that the Irish government manages to shield the public from, which will be fun when the german style medical insurance comes in.
    My medical insurance is 600 a month (half paid by the employer thankfully), and the wife pays similar.
    Its a balls BUT if you want medical care it has to be paid for, and unfortunately the little pixies that cover the bill for "free" health in Ireland (actually the state borrowing heavily which future generations will be paying off) skews that reality.

Its a little like "free" water that actually costs the state 1 billion euro a year in capital inlay and maintenance. Folks are confused when asked to pay the real cost.

anyhow, my point is that to your mind medical care is a low cost thing as you never have to put your hand in your pocket for it or even see it itemised on your wage bill but even in Ireland its expensive despite the fact that its supposedly "free"

Nope I meant travel insurance but thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Nope I meant travel insurance but thanks anyway!
    if you are there for more than 8 months then you are living there, not on holiday.

anyhow, VHI do a policy for stays of over 6 months.
    Details are here:
    https://www.vhi.ie/global-health-insurance/index.jsp

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OP, you may want to have a look in the USA forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Fysh wrote: »
    OP, you may want to have a look in the USA forum.

Yeah I manged to get the insurance I was after thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement