Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nirvana Reunited with a Beatle

Options
  • 12-12-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Former Beatle Paul McCartney is set to take Kurt Kobain’s place during Nirvana's reunion performance tonight.

Mr McCartney will join Foo Fighters front man Dave Grohl and bassist Krist Novoselic, who have not been on stage together for 20 years.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1212/breaking24.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Oh. My. God. Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Nirvana were still performing 18 years ago. How bad does a journalist have to be to not be able to count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Probably just going to have a bit of a jam. I doubt they'll be banging out scentless apprentice or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Cobain will be spinning in his grave.

Let it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Cobain was a huge fan of the beatles, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind in that sense.
    What would really make him turn in his grave is the fact that there's a reunion show - somehow, I don't think Cobain would condone that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Once he found out the Pixies were doing it, he'd copy them. Would not mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dainiux79

any links for streaming live online?
    tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Relax guys it's definitely a joke.

dainiux79 wrote: »
    any links for streaming live online?

You'd actually want to watch this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Relax guys it's definitely a joke.

The show is being broadcast in the States tonight on HBO.

I'll have my feet kicked up watching this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's being reported on quite a few sites, not confirmed though.

Surely it cant be happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Its the 121212 Concert for Hurricane Sandy Relief, Eddie Vedder is planning to join Roger Waters on stage for a floyd song or 2, would love to be watching it.
    This link lists everywhere you can stream it, and tv stations broadcasting it (I think it's on MTV & VH1 here in Ireland).
    http://www.121212concert.org/broadcast

The show is being broadcast in the States tonight on HBO.

Ahh I know, don't take too much head of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Eddie Vedder is singing Comfortably Numb with Roger Waters.

I never thought a mini-reunion of Nirvana would not create a care for me, after hearing that other news.

zombiepaw wrote: »
    Its the 121212 Concert for Hurricane Sandy Relief, Eddie Vedder is planning to join Roger Waters on stage for a floyd song or 2, would love to be watching it.
    This link lists everywhere you can stream it, and tv stations broadcasting it (I think it's on MTV & VH1 here in Ireland).
    http://www.121212concert.org/broadcast
    Just checked the listings for MTV and VH1 and cant see it on at all betwee tonight and tomorrow. Unless they are not showing it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭zombiepaw

Just checked the listings for MTV and VH1 and cant see it on at all betwee tonight and tomorrow. Unless they are not showing it live.

That link I put up It said Ireland MTV/VH1 so don't know if it's on live or indeed at all, It'll be on youtube in a day or 2 anyway

According to our sky planner its on Sky Arts tomorrow night. 4 and a half hours long too!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I see it there for 2 hours. Set to record, grand by me.

Daves posted a couple pics so far on twitter. One if him and butch vigg, one if New York and then this one, not sure what it means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well unbelievably enough it happened.
    They even played a new song - scroll down for video here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9741813/Sir-Paul-McCartney-fronts-Nirvana-reunion-at-Superstorm-Sandy-fund-raising-concert.html

I can't believe I'm saying this.......but I kinda like it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

I just seen it there now myself..

not bad... I think,,

Why did Paul Mccartney play a guitar that looks like a an old oil container though?

Whats the song? who wrote it does anybody know?

They wrote it together for the Sound City Movie soundtrack.

Its hardly a Nirvana reunion. They didnt play any Nirvana songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's actually pretty good. The music itself is definitely much more a mix of Foos & Beatles than Nirvana, but the lyrics definitely have a taste of Kurt in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

seamus wrote: »
    It's actually pretty good. The music itself is definitely much more a mix of Foos & Beatles than Nirvana, but the lyrics definitely have a taste of Kurt in there.

I don't know I thought the music was very Nirvana-esque. I think Dave on the drums kinda of infuses that into it. He was smilign at the end - seems he enjoyed it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Well unbelievably enough it happened.
    They even played a new song - scroll down for video here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/9741813/Sir-Paul-McCartney-fronts-Nirvana-reunion-at-Superstorm-Sandy-fund-raising-concert.html

I can't believe I'm saying this.......but I kinda like it :eek:

What gob****e let Chris Martin up there to butcher Losing My Religion, he just can't sign live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Pretty good stuff, the Who were good as was Springsteen as usual. Though Nirvana guys+Macca were great. As for Kanye.... jeez...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I like it , sound isnt great vocals wise for either Macca or Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

To be honest, it sounds like Nirvana in regards to both bass and drums. I don't know if it's the general sound of the music, or the music itself (I can' really tell because I'm in a webcafe here at the moment with crappy headphones) but instantly the sound of the drums and style just hit me as Nirvana. And the bass was quite distinctive as well. The guitar and vocals didn't hit me as Nirvana at all, just someone who's trying to emulate the style with no understanding of it.

I suppose it's slightly unfair to be disappointed that they didn't sound Nirvana like seeing as this is a distinct setup other than Nirvana, and they made no claims to be trying to go for the sound. But all in all McCartney is awful.

I have the ultimate respect for his abilities, he is one of the best songwriters of the modern era of music, but to me he's lost all credibility. I was half expecting him to burst into another out-of-tune rendition of Hey Jude. In fact I think he'll be at the end of days singing us all out with Hey Jude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I liked it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

No Kurt
    No Nirvana songs
    No reunion
    No problem

Advertisement