Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aubameyang & the £2,500 boots

• 12-12-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

What ever happened to the old fashioned black boots :D

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2246855/Pierre-Emerick-Aubameyang-warms-Saint-Etienne-2-500-crystal-Nike-boots.html#ixzz2EqE86BPe

Football's new King of Bling! Aubameyang warms up for Saint-Etienne in £2,500 boots encrusted in 4,000 Swarovski crystals

345fnec.jpg

Footballers are well known for shamelessly flaunting their wealth, whether it be the latest Lamborghini, clothes straight from the catwalks of Milan or a million carat pair of earrings.

But rarely does such bling make it onto the field - until now.

Saint-Etienne's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang set the bar pretty high on Monday when he warmed up for a match with Lyon in an outrageous £2,500 pair of boots encrusted in Swarovski crystals.

It took more than 50 hours to customise the striker's pair of Nike Vapors with 4,000 tiny jewels in a design which incorporated the player's name, number seven and the club crest and colours.

Sadly Saint-Etienne didn't produce a sparkling performance to match, going down 1-0 in the derby.

Earlier in the year, Aubameyang received a pair of similarly blingy boots in the national colours of Gabon as they took part in the African Cup of Nations as co-hosts.

Gabon international Aubameyang isn't shy of drawing attention to himself - after scoring in a 2-0 win over Rennes in October, he celebrated by producing a Spiderman mask from behind the advertising hoardings, put it on and pretended to spin webs.

Newcastle's Jonas Gutierrez set that trend two years ago, marking a goal against Blackburn by pulling a similar mask from his shorts.

Aubameyang was linked with a move to St James' Park in the summer and perhaps it's just as well he stayed put, otherwise the Toon would be swinging with comic book characters.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Thr toon already is swinging with comic book characters :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

How exciting

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I thought Gutierrez was doing that celebration before he ever went to England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Newcastle are best to keep pursuing more solid characters like JI-Dong Won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Everything thats wrong with the game today summed up in a pair of size 10's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Would the crystals not effect your strike of the ball?

Did he only warm up in them or did he play the match inthem also? I'd be surprsied if he played te match in them and they're nothing more then a PR stunt.

GavRedKing wrote: »

Did he only warm up in them or did he play the match inthem also? I'd be surprsied if he played te match in them and they're nothing more then a PR stunt.

We must get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. The implications could be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Tacky. Money cant buy you good taste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Leiva wrote: »
    Everything thats wrong with the game today summed up in a pair of size 10's.

Not cheating or match fixing or racism, violence in the stands, players getting abused just for being different, assistant referees getting kicked to death by kids, corrupt administrators or managers that blame everyone else apart from themselves?

Nope, Flashy boots sum up whats wrong with the game today.

We must get to the bottom of this as soon as possible. The implications could be huge.

Could be, I'd make a case that they're not safe and as such could cause an injury to another player, fairly serious IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

They look like they were made from crocodile skin or something! Awful looking things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Product of the Milan Youth Academy, himself and two of his brothers all came through Milan's youth and Primavera teams but the other two never really got anywhere after a handful of first team games for Milan and a few lower division French clubs and are back in Gambon playing for Sapins FC.

As for Peirre-Emerick, he always looked like the sort of player who had pace and not much else. Bit of a David Bellion/Theo Wallcot/Agbonlahor type.

Their Dad is Milan's main African scout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I prefer my Adidas Stratos SL's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I was gonna say that in fairness this is their career so 2,500 for boots is it that big of a deal but jesus they are the worst looking things ever, like a 4 year old designed them.

Could be, I'd make a case that they're not safe and as such could cause an injury to another player, fairly serious IMO.

One of the sparkly bits in the eye. Blinded for life.

Not cheating or match fixing or racism, violence in the stands, players getting abused just for being different, assistant referees getting kicked to death by kids, corrupt administrators or managers that blame everyone else apart from themselves?

Thank you Richard Hillman for being my moral compass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well actually, many of the points you raise are driven to various degrees by things like a lack of education, hubris, poor taste, egocentricism, vacuity, ostentation and horrendous levels of wealth imbalance.

All of which are encapsulated within this pair of boots.

Think this belongs here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPJi5WyOvI4aF98f72zAtcBeIQFrwyuyIqJKWGsIBtNmlA8sRD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

The title of this thread sounds like a Roald Dahl book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That's what I was wondering too. It sounds like he only warmed up in them.

To be fair, if I had spent that much on a pair of boots I sure as hell wouldnt be playing in them! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement