Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisance phone calls

Options
  • 12-12-2012 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

This week we've received two phone calls to our house phone from "Microsoft" in London. The line is terrible, and sounds like they're ringing from the bottom of the ocean, rather than London, and the man had an East Asian accent, with a poor grasp of english.

I'm not stupid when it comes to these scam calls, but it wasn't me that answered the phone the first time, they spoke to my mum who didn't know how to access the computer without the password (thank goodness) and the man actually got pissed off with her because she told him she didn't know how to use the computer. When they called back today I had no answer for them besides calling them scammers. They were claiming there was a virus called "DNA" on my computer.

Microsoft would never make a house call, and they wouldn't even know whether or not there was a virus on my computer. How did they manage to get our contact details and full name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It's been running for years now. Take a look at this thread on Computer forum about it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055837564

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Yep, definitely heard of it before, but then you don't hear anything about them for a year or so and they crop up again. Figured they might be targeting Sligo phone numbers at the moment, so a warning to anyone.

The man's supervisor said to my mum when she said she didn't know how to access the computer "You don't bloody know how to turn the computer on?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭tracey1098

I've on them on too this week, it happens every few months, they ring constantly for a few days. I dont even bother answering the phone now when i see the number coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,472 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Two calls yesterday in Waterford so its not just you! Very strong accent and poor quality sound, I couldn't make out what he was on about till I caught the word 'computer' and ran him. My husband replied to the second call with 'This is Tramore Police Stat...hello? oh he's gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

ive had about 5 callls so far... from an oo51 number if im right.
    Id love to take the call and take the piss out of them,,, you know be grandpa simpson to them and make them spell out every letter of thier name so i can remember it, ive done it in the past and if you keep repeating the letters for verification !!! it really pisses them off.

speak with a jewish accent is great fun too....nice and slow and pedantic...

one call i got, i had him on the phone for 20 mins then killed the conversation of with

A computer, Vats a computer,,,eh,eh Hello....anyone there? No ok

priceless:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Ah ha, so thats who they are. I keep seeing missed calls from an 0051 number, which I believe is from Chile and not Waterford.

Oh the abuse will be flying when I get to talk to bastards.

Advertisement