Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair days pay?

• 12-12-2012 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for some salary ideas for a front end dev with about 1.5 years experience. HTML5 and CSS3 skill are good but JS is weak. They have a good knowledge of the CMS we use and would do most of the client training.

I'm looking for a fair wage that would recognise their current skill-set and also factor in further education, specifically in PHP and JS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

I know a company who charge clients €45 per hour for a junior web designer, €65 per hour for a senior. You could extrapolate wages from this based on what overrider you think the company makes (at a minimum 20% I'd say).

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I know a company who charge clients €45 per hour for a junior web designer, €65 per hour for a senior. You could extrapolate wages from this based on what overrider you think the company makes (at a minimum 20% I'd say).

Hope that helps.

I find that one a bit strange.

I've never come across a firm specifying the work was done by a junior or senior designer.

However I'd agree on the price ranges. 55 an hour is a solid (and fairly standard) rate for a firm to charge for professional work.

Based on that, is it going to be a full time employee, or contract work?

What hours are they working per day/week? Will they be fixed weekly hours or per-project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Tis a strange one. I think its just an honesty thing, he's very forthcoming about it. He knows that a junior designer is capable of x,y,z and a senior is the rest. Its a trust thing, if a company knows that they can have their news pages or their images changed by a junior at a rate of €45, they'd be far more inclined to do that more regularly, ie. repeat business.

Having said that, I do know he gives blended rates (ie €55) for larger projects, so Im in agreement with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

KonFusion wrote: »
    I find that one a bit strange.

I've never come across a firm specifying the work was done by a junior or senior designer.

However I'd agree on the price ranges. 55 an hour is a solid (and fairly standard) rate for a firm to charge for professional work.

Based on that, is it going to be a full time employee, or contract work?

What hours are they working per day/week? Will they be fixed weekly hours or per-project?

Full time - 9 to 5:30 per day, 5 days per week.

(The thread title is a bit misleading but something similar popped into my head as I was typing)

Full time - 9 to 5:30 per day, 5 days per week.

I know grads working as dev's in IBM on around 32k (ish) per year.

I wouldn't classify it as 'fair' though.

I guess without knowing the persons full capability, how much you can afford, the new clients responsibilities, and how much they stand to make you, it's hard to pick an exact figure.

I think 30-40k a year would be considered as 'fair' for an entry level-ish job for someone with 1.5 years of experience, a good portfolio, and strong HTML & CSS skills, while still being somewhat literate in PHP & js.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I think you could probably cross PHP and JS off the list, at least for now. They don't have any formal qualifications and have really only been in the industry for as long as they have been with the company. That's why it's difficult to pin a figure down.

I think you could probably cross PHP and JS off the list, at least for now. They don't have any formal qualifications and have really only been in the industry for as long as they have been with the company. That's why it's difficult to pin a figure down.

Ah ok...

11-12 euro an hour.

Advertisement