Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning rod thread

Options
  • 12-12-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Perhaps stupid question but... does anybody know if there's an adaptor for Parker Hale rods to fit Jack Pyke accessories? I have several mops/brushes etc with JP thread and I just don't want to throw them out...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not sure as i don't have Jack Pyke cleaning heads, but you can get an adaptor (Male to Female). I use it as some of the cleaning heads for my parker Hale rod are male, same as the threading on the rod.

Here is the adaptor.

Most mops, jags, brushes, etc are threaded the same so it should work. They are only a couple of Euro.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭damanloox

Hmmm.. My PH rod is female threaded and PH heads are male...
    Same as JP - rod - female, heads - male... The diff between PH and JP seems to be thread diameter (PH is almost twice as big) and possible threading inself..
    To fit JP heads to PH rod I'd need male PH thread (to go into PH rod) and female (smaller diameter) female thread (to fit JP head)...
    Where did you get the adapter?

Just after doing a quick check. I measured the diameter of the threading as i cannot measure the timing of the threads. They are:
    • Parker Hale rods - 0.150"
    • Bore-Tech rod - 0.150"
    • Tipton rod - 0.150"
    • Hoppes rod - 0.150"

The only difference being one is male the other female. All mops, jags, and brushes whether made by any of the brands above are all threaded to suit any rod (whether using the adaptor or not), and all are 0.150 diameter.

So all i need is the adpator and i can use Bore-Tech on PH, PH heads on Hoppes rod, etc, etc.

I got mine off Jim Griffin, but most dealers should have them in stock.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Thanks. I'll go and check if they have anything in my shop...

Have you a calipers?

If so check the diameter of the threading. If they match my measurements, then the adaptor will work. If the JP are an odd size it might not help to get an adaptor.

Also, and please don't take offence to this, make sure they are rifle jags, etc. I had a mate once that was given mops, etc, and he could not get it to work on any rod. When he brought them up to try on my rods i immediately seen they were shotgun cleaning accessories.

Might seem stupid, and obvious, but just be sure.

Now if i have made a mistake myself by assuming you were taking about shotgun gear then apologies. Probably should have asked before answering.

• Advertisement

Yep.. I was talking about shotgun stuff... ;)
    i don't have any calipers but looking at both - JP and PH - I can clearly see the thread on JP is much smaller diameter than on PH (PH is almost twice the diameter of JP)...

Probably should have asked about the shotgun thing at the start. :o

Not to worry. Try this crowd here. They do a load of accessories. Some are availabe in dealers here, but if not order directly off them. They do male to male adaptors, varying size thread adaptors, etc.

Checked there, and as far as i can make out the JP stuff is M5x0.8 thread, and the PH rod is 5/16" with 27 tpi. That is slightly less than double the size of JP accessories.

Not of huge help, but might give you an idea when looking for suitable adaptors.

Advertisement