Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

230v to 18v transformer.

Options
  • 12-12-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

Was wondering if anyone has any idea on how I would do this.....
    I love my Dewalt cordless drill, but around the shop its a pain to have to keep changing batteries.

Most of my batteries are nearly past there time and barely holding a charge anymore.

I was looking through my random cable box and found a few laptop chargers that state 19.5v ....

Would there be anyway to take an old battery... take the cells out and just keep the connectors... solder a cable to these connectors on the battery that go into the drill (so I can have the best of both worlds). Then run a cable out into maybe a small plastic tool box where I will have the old laptop charger, splice, solder and insulate the connection onto the transformer and then back out of the tool box and into a socket.

I know many people around the world have tried and had mixed results but I think it would really be a handy solution to have when you are fixed in one location for long periods of time and dont need the portability without having to fork out for a new drill of course.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The laptop transformers wont have the current capacity to power the drill at anything like the drills full ouput power.

The thing that batteries can do is deliver their charge quickly to the drill, where a charger delivers the charge to batteries slower than the batteries can deliver it to the drill.

So a charger can charge a drill battery in an hour as an example, but the drill can use the entire charge in a few minutes if it was fully loaded continuously.

So in short, it wont work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Thanks for the reply Robbie.. I had a feeling something was going to make it a hassle... its a shame tool manufactures don't do a small lighter battery with a mains cable for this purpose.

Thanks anyways,
    Steven.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

slpower01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Robbie.. I had a feeling something was going to make it a hassle... its a shame tool manufactures don't do a small lighter battery with a mains cable for this purpose.

Thanks anyways,
    Steven.

In fairness I find the dewalt batteries very good. And remember after all these are battery tools, more commonly known as CORDLESS tools, they are designed for periodic use and/or where mains power is a problem, for continuous or shop dewalt (like other power tool manufacturers) produce and (recommend I'd guess) corded tools. So I cant see them producing plug in leads for their tools.

That said I would think a lot op people have thought it would be handy, I know I have in the past. Realistically you would probably be looking for a DC power supply for an industrial DC motor but these generally dont use 18v

Advertisement