Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flag protests in Derry?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

I'll be taking my 6-year old son to Derry tonight. City side. Just wondering if there might be any trouble. I see on the news that there has been protests and carjackings on the Waterside.

Would probably be OK myself, but it wouldn't take much to scare a 6-year old if there was something planned for the City.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. There was a small peaceful protest on the Peace bridge on Sunday but Derry is very quiet in comparison with Belfast with regards to flag issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'll be grand, guaranteed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Thanks for the replies. Didn't have a bother. Heard a few sirens, that was about it.

Shipquay Street looked quite dramatic:

232508.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

For those thinking of venturing across the border to do any shopping, they have a Facebook page now (:rolleyes:) and it highlights where protests are planned for (scroll down to see the table)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Proud-to-be-a-protestant-banter/436131339783285?ref=ts&fref=ts

Thanks. (I don't have a thanks button for some reason)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

There seems to be a daily roadblock at 5/5.30pm at the Glendermott Road junction of Tesco. No hint of trouble, just blocking the road to rush hour traffic to wave the flags. With regards to the mad lights on Shipquay St, they have them up on Butcher St and Ferryquay St(just off the Diamond) aswell but not sure if they are working yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ppshay wrote: »
    Thanks. (I don't have a thanks button for some reason)
    You need to have 25 posts yourself before you can thank another post :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Leadamp

I have twelve posts and I have a thank you button.

Leadamp wrote: »
    I have twelve posts and I have a thank you button.
    Sorry, just after checking that again and its 10 posts you need. I was confusing it with the number needed for a sig.

From here
    Post count based restrictions
    As an anti-spam measure, certain options are limited to a minimum number of posts,

Signatures: 25
    Joining a social group: 25

muffler wrote: »
    Sorry, just after checking that again and its 10 posts you need. I was confusing it with the number needed for a sig.

From here
    And there is my first Thanks. I hope you feel privileged. :p

• Advertisement

ppshay wrote: »
    And there is my first Thanks. I hope you feel privileged. :p
    Honoured and privileged :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There were more protests this evening in the Waterside.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement