Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surrender of firearms to AGS

Options
  • 12-12-2012 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Is it acceptable to simply hand in your firearms to AGS if you are not renewing your licences.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You can, but there are better ways.

If you store them in a dealers, and then cancel/do not renew your licenses, and get a letter from the dealer to say they are stored with him they will accept this. Then the dealer may sell them on your behalf. He may ask for a commission/fee for this, but it is a far better option than simply surrendering them.

When surrendered the AGS usually just give them to a dealer for destruction. Unlike a firearm that is refused, where there are rules in relation to AGS selling them, storing them for a specified amount of time, and then destroying if they don't sell, etc. by storing them for the purpose of selling in a dealers is a better option.

When your licenses are cancelled the dealer cannot legally hand them out to you so they are as good as gone.

I would look into storing/selling them via a dealer before thinking about surrendering them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have already asked a dealer and he is not interested in taking them in. He says they are worthless.

So I am running out of options. I am hoping to get into fostering children in the new year and I was told it would be for the best to become a gun free house.

Well that's crap. They are not worthless. Some people are trying to leave guns into dealers to be sold, but looking silly money for them. So thy sit for a while, and the dealer cannot really "deal" as it's not their stock to trade on.

In your situation where you are considering surrendering them, which gets you nothing, i would ask around. Try one or two other dealers, and say you are prepared to take anything, and offer him his cut. This should sweeten the deal, and put at least a few quid in your pocket.

Use the for sale section. Just put up all the details, pictures, etc. and ask for whatever you can live with taking for them. Don't worry about the price you ask for. if people thin it's too much they will haggle you down. If they don't sell via the for sale section, and no dealer will take them then i would look at surrendering them after Christmas.

just don;t rush to a decision right now.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

you could give them to me, i will insure they have a nice new home:D:D. or go to your local gun club an see if there is a new young lad getting into shooting that dose'nt yet have a firearm or maybe can't afford one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Cass wrote: »
    Well that's crap. They are not worthless. Some people are trying to leave guns into dealers to be sold, but looking silly money for them. So thy sit for a while, and the dealer cannot really "deal" as it's not their stock to trade on.

In your situation where you are considering surrendering them, which gets you nothing, i would ask around. Try one or two other dealers, and say you are prepared to take anything, and offer him his cut. This should sweeten the deal, and put at least a few quid in your pocket.

Use the for sale section. Just put up all the details, pictures, etc. and ask for whatever you can live with taking for them. Don't worry about the price you ask for. if people thin it's too much they will haggle you down. If they don't sell via the for sale section, and no dealer will take them then i would look at surrendering them after Christmas.

just don;t rush to a decision right now.

Correct 100% put them up here what are they out of curiosity

• Advertisement

.22lr Remmington 597 SA with scope.

12 G single barrell Baikal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Chances are they would sell on here, Or you could always donate them :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I have already asked a dealer and he is not interested in taking them in. He says they are worthless.

So I am running out of options. I am hoping to get into fostering children in the new year and I was told it would be for the best to become a gun free house.

Why a gun free house :confused:, if they are locked up securely and you have the key wheres the problem ?

This is the HSE we are talking about. They make the rules and they make Satan look reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

How much are you looking for if you are going to Sell them,

.22 Rifles are all over the place, every dealer is flooded with them...

• Advertisement

This is the HSE we are talking about. They make the rules and they make Satan look reasonable.

So if you are a gunsmith ,gundealer , gamekeeper, detective or anyone else who has to have firearms in the house , the hse will ban you from being a foster parent ? More eu style daftness.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

rowa wrote: »
    More eu style daftness.

In fairness, it's nothing to do with the EU. If the EU were involved there'd be less chance of stupid rules about guns. Most other EU countries are much more reasonable about firearms (UK excluded).

OP: If worst comes to worst, donate them to someone in your local gun club. There'll be someone with a son/daughter looking to start shooting for cheap or someone who currently has a shotgun and is looking for a rifle or vice versa. It would be better to get no money and have the guns put to good use rather than get no money and have them destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

That's bull****, I'm a foster parent , HSE vetted & approved, firearm ownership never an issue. I have a friend who's an RFD and a foster parent.

Savage93 wrote: »

That's bull****, I'm a foster parent , HSE vetted & approved, firearm ownership never an issue. I have a friend who's an RFD and a foster parent.

Sounds like the usual unaccountable civil servant with an axe to grind over firearms ownership. Much like some chief super's :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭no12

I know a fella who recently tried to surrender a firearm to AGS and he was told it would cost him €85.... I was under the impression they had to take it off you once you didn't want it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

Same as. Fostering with years its not a problem.

no12 wrote: »
    I know a fella who recently tried to surrender a firearm to AGS and he was told it would cost him €85.... I was under the impression they had to take it off you once you didn't want it?

Yes but they don't like having firearms in the station and pass them on to the local dealers for destruction etc and the dealer of course charge them for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

One would imagine that being certified fit to possess a firearm by a Superintendent of AGS, would reflect well on your moral fibre.

Well fxck me, the system is a mess.

Yes but they don't like having firearms in the station and pass them on to the local dealers for destruction etc and the dealer of course charge them for this.

I understand that and I would expect the dealer isn't going to destroy the gun for nothing but I remember a friend wanted to get rid of a gun AGS wouldn't take it dealer told him to ring FPU and AGS then took the gun in for destruction. Now it was around the time of the Licensing system change could have been just for that considering the large of amounts of guns people were giving up.

On another note I know a guy who recently applied to renew his license that was expiring (about a week left on license) dropped forms down to FO and he said he wouldn't get it done before the expiration of the license. So the FO rang him the day his license expired to bring the gun down to him so down he went and the FO took the gun and stuck it in a cabinet in the station. It's an old gun left to my friend by his uncle an old Belgian made Browning A1 in mint condition hardly used. The FO took a shine to the gun and offered him a paltry sum of money for it.. He refused saying he wanted to keep it for his son sentimental reasons and that. He contacted an RFD soon after about storage and the value of it and he agreed to store it. The FO dropped gun down to RFD, the RFD aware of him offering to buy it and chatting told him what it was worth. The FO then contacted my friend with an improved offer (25% of the value) and he refused again. I told him to report it but he doesn't want the hassle. What would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

I understand that and I would expect the dealer isn't going to destroy the gun for nothing but I remember a friend wanted to get rid of a gun AGS wouldn't take it dealer told him to ring FPU and AGS then took the gun in for destruction. Now it was around the time of the Licensing system change could have been just for that considering the large of amounts of guns people were giving up.

On another note I know a guy who recently applied to renew his license that was expiring (about a week left on license) dropped forms down to FO and he said he wouldn't get it done before the expiration of the license. So the FO rang him the day his license expired to bring the gun down to him so down he went and the FO took the gun and stuck it in a cabinet in the station. It's an old gun left to my friend by his uncle an old Belgian made Browning A1 in mint condition hardly used. The FO took a shine to the gun and offered him a paltry sum of money for it.. He refused saying he wanted to keep it for his son sentimental reasons and that. He contacted an RFD soon after about storage and the value of it and he agreed to store it. The FO dropped gun down to RFD, the RFD aware of him offering to buy it and chatting told him what it was worth. The FO then contacted my friend with an improved offer (25% of the value) and he refused again. I told him to report it but he doesn't want the hassle. What would you do?

Report what? That someone is offering to buy his gun for less than its worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The FO is a shooting man, likes the gun and wants to buy it.. whats to report.. theres nothing illegal about making offers under the asking price for a gun..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

A gun free house is a whole load of crap, trust me. I was a child minder, and I'm HSE vetted and I shoot and they know that. I was never asked to be a gun free house.

What if you were a farmer and wanted to foster? are you supposed to give up the O/U, SS or the rifle, I think not, your family and impending family would depend on you being able to defend your livestock.

Think again before getting rid of them.

Just my 2c worth.

Well the way it was portrayed to me was that he thought my friend didn't know much about guns and that he could take advantage of the opportunity. After he adamantly explained he wasn't getting rid of the gun and when the RFD received the gun and he told the FO what it was worth he then came back again with another offer after being told the first time it wasn't for sale. Petty and all is it sounds but is the FO job not to process the license applications and not in the buying and selling of firearms or harassing license holders if they would like to sell their firearm? Surely this isn't common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Don't worry it's not common practice.
    There is a thread on here listing gun dealers in Ireland, have a look there, ring another dealer close to you.
    Explain your case, see what he says and how to proceed.
    If you have no licence on the gun don't transport it, as you could get into hot water.

Well the way it was portrayed to me was that he thought my friend didn't know much about guns and that he could take advantage of the opportunity. After he adamantly explained he wasn't getting rid of the gun and when the RFD received the gun and he told the FO what it was worth he then came back again with another offer after being told the first time it wasn't for sale. Petty and all is it sounds but is the FO job not to process the license applications and not in the buying and selling of firearms or harassing license holders if they would like to sell their firearm? Surely this isn't common practice?

I have heard of similar goings on with a now , thankfully retired member. an old man died leaving behind two valuable shotguns, this guy was after the guns for himself and when his daughter told him she had the guns collected by a rfd from her fathers house he went ballistic telling her what she had done was illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

There are RFDs in the country fostering children. Having guns securely store din a house shouldn't enter into the equation when you want to give children a home. Tell them they are gone, they have no way of checking nor are they entitled to.

Hunter21 wrote: »
    If you have no licence on the gun don't transport it, as you could get into hot water.
    If you have no license due to not renewing them then the OP must store them or surrender them otherwise he will be in possession of unlicensed firearms.

If the OP cannot find a dealer to take them then the next best option is to donate to a gun club/range that will make use of them.

Failing all that then surrender is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I have heard of similar goings on with a now , thankfully retired member. an old man died leaving behind two valuable shotguns, this guy was after the guns for himself and when his daughter told him she had the guns collected by a rfd from her fathers house he went ballistic telling her what she had done was illegal.

i know of similar experiences;)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I always find that amusing. If you did'nt want to spend any money on the surrender of a firearm here's what you could do.

"Hi Garda. I have a firearm and I have no intention of licensing it, what are you going to do about it?" "I'am afraid I have to seize it Sir" replies the Garda.

Is it that easy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

if you don't want the .22 you can give it to me:D If you want to get rid of them and don't want to pay for it then ger yourself an angle grinder and cut the bolt/receiver and barrel and give the garda a bag of bits. That is what they are charging you fr anyway.

Advertisement