Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surrender of firearms to AGS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

knockon wrote: »

I always find that amusing. If you did'nt want to spend any money on the surrender of a firearm here's what you could do.

"Hi Garda. I have a firearm and I have no intention of licensing it, what are you going to do about it?" "I'am afraid I have to seize it Sir" replies the Garda.

Is it that easy?

No. The reply would go something like this.

"Your being arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm. You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so..." replies the Garda. "I will be sure to pass on your smart arse comments to the DPP and the judge" he went on to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Simply do it before the FAC expires. Then they can do nothing.

Simply do it before the FAC expires. Then they can do nothing.

I wouldnt count on it. Seriously lads, in a country where firearms ownership is a privilege, this kind of attitude does no one any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

So what would your advice on how to dispose of it via the AGS??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    So what would your advice on how to dispose of it via the AGS??:confused:

Ring your local FO and ask them as things can vary depending on local arrangements. To go in with the arrogant attitude displayed in some of the above posts is ridiculous and I would not recommend it. Apart from the personal issues that could arise from it, it damages the shooting community as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

bravestar wrote: »
    No. The reply would go something like this.

"Your being arrested for unlawful possession of a firearm. You are not obliged to say anything unless you wish to do so..." replies the Garda. "I will be sure to pass on your smart arse comments to the DPP and the judge" he went on to say.

I was being slightly facetious in my wording but not entirely inaccurate. A friend of mine who is a member of ASG had been handed more than one firearm by people who could not afford to a) renew their FAC or b) wanted to dispose of an old firearm without incurring costs. He gladly removed them but that as you say may vary from district to district. Telling 85 year old Farmer Ned who never licensed his rusted side by side be is going to be arrested? I don't think so - you guys are busy enought as it is with limited resources.

knockon wrote: »

I was being slightly facetious in my wording but not entirely inaccurate. A friend of mine who is a member of ASG had been handed more than one firearm by people who could not afford to a) renew their FAC or b) wanted to dispose of an old firearm without incurring costs. He gladly removed them but that as you say may vary from district to district. Telling 85 year old Farmer Ned who never licensed his rusted side by side be is going to be arrested? I don't think so - you guys are busy enought as it is with limited resources.

There is quite a difference in what you are saying above compared to what you had previously said and in the context of the above post, Farmer Ned would probably be just fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Is it acceptable to simply hand in your firearms to AGS if you are not renewing your licences.

Seriously though, the idea of surrendering a firearm makes me cringe.

At the very least, make some fella's day by making the firearm a donor. It is close to Christmas.

There's something special about a gun that was given to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

FISMA wrote: »
    Seriously though, the idea of surrendering a firearm makes me cringe.
    Depends - I saw a few of the shotguns handed in after the Misc.Provisions Firearms Act a few years ago; I wouldn't have picked one up for fear of tetanus, let alone fired one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

juice1304 wrote: »
    if you don't want the .22 you can give it to me:D If you want to get rid of them and don't want to pay for it then ger yourself an angle grinder and cut the bolt/receiver and barrel and give the garda a bag of bits. That is what they are charging you fr anyway.

Isn't it illegal to modify a firearm ? If so technically chopping one up could be see as modifying ?

• Advertisement

rowa wrote: »
    Isn't it illegal to modify a firearm ? If so technically chopping one up could be see as modifying ?
    You'd tick off any judge you brought that up in front of, but yes, technically, the Gardai are meant to witness a firearm being destroyed (so that you couldn't, say, chop up the barrel of one firearm and the action of another and some random scrap metal that looked similar enough and submit a bag of bits and go off and make a firearm from the other bits that had no paper trail in the system). That's not to say they witness every last one, mind.

It would cease to be a firearm. No offence committed.

I shall invite them around to my shed so they can have a good look.

It would cease to be a firearm. No offence committed.
    ...except that it wouldn't legally cease to be a firearm.
    Yeah, I know, it's stupid. Who was claiming Irish firearms law was a beacon of good sense in a world gone mad?
    I shall invite them around to my shed so they can have a good look.
    Pretty decent idea actually (assuming your licence is still in effect, that is). No law saying it has to be an RFD that does the chopping, and if you anglegrind through the action (and probably the barrel in a few places) with the local garda looking on, there's no reason that shouldn't suffice. It'll take a few minutes, but lay on a cup of tea and it should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

The only way that it would be classed Not a Fire Weapon, Is if the Firing pin is taken out

&

the Barrel of the gun is filled. to get this done you are looking at around well over 100 euros,

your Only option would be to give it freely to a gun club that a member would be looking to start off, give it to the Cops that cost money to hand over,

or sell them privately .. but if you are selling them you need to act quick as if you still have them and your gun license runs out you could be in deep water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

If he cuts it into bits with an angle grinder it is not a functioning firearm. He would'nt even need to cut it into bits chop the firing pin cut the bolt at a 45 degree angle and make some cuts in the receiver and barrel job done cost nothing and all a dealer is going to do is the same thing once the cuts are made it is a useless lump of scrap metal. It dose'nt have to be done by a dealer there is no law stating it must be a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

"Where a firearm is handed over to the Garda Síochána for destruction, this destruction shall be carried out as soon as is practicable by a registered firearms dealer or other authorised person and supervised by a member of the Garda Síochána."

juice1304 wrote: »
    If he cuts it into bits with an angle grinder it is not a functioning firearm.
    Yup.
    Now show me the bit in the Firearms Act that says it's not a firearm if it's not functional.
    And yes, the law really is that dumb.
    “firearm” means—
    (a) a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged,

(b) an air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy,

(c) a crossbow,

(d) any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other disablement to a person by means of electricity or any other kind of energy emission,

(e) a prohibited weapon,

(f) any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,

(g) except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:
    (i) telescope sights with a light beam, or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra-red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b), (c) or (e),
    (ii) a silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm specified in paragraph (a), (b) or (e), and
    (iii) any object—
    (I) manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and
    (II) without which it could not function as originally designed,

and

(h) a device capable of discharging blank ammunition and to be used as a starting gun or blank firing gun, and includes a restricted firearm, unless otherwise provided or the context otherwise requires;

Also,

Firearm:

502.jpg

Fire Weapon:

flamethrower_straight.jpg

I mean, come on lad...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Sparks wrote: »
    ...except that it wouldn't legally cease to be a firearm.
    Yeah, I know, it's stupid. Who was claiming Irish firearms law was a beacon of good sense in a world gone mad?

Pretty decent idea actually (assuming your licence is still in effect, that is). No law saying it has to be an RFD that does the chopping, and if you anglegrind through the action (and probably the barrel in a few places) with the local garda looking on, there's no reason that shouldn't suffice. It'll take a few minutes, but lay on a cup of tea and it should be grand.

I do not think that will work, the firearm is still being modified (for the want of a better word), which you are not allowed do, also AGS will want written proof the gun is "de-commissioned" even though it is in pieces,which you would not be qualified to do.

I do not think that will work, the firearm is still being modified (for the want of a better word), which you are not allowed do, also AGS will want written proof the gun is "de-commissioned" even though it is in pieces,which you would not be qualified to do.

No, but the Garda watching you is. RFDs have no special qualifications in the eyes of the state to work on firearms like this, don't forget - it's Registered Firearms Dealer, not gunsmith.

• Advertisement

No, but the Garda watching you is. RFDs have no special qualifications in the eyes of the state to work on firearms like this, don't forget - it's Registered Firearms Dealer, not gunsmith.

I do not think so, most GS would not know one end of a firearm to another, and would not want to

I do not think so, most GS would not know one end of a firearm to another, and would not want to
    I know, but they still have the necessary authority. Now, that doesn't mean they'll agree to it... but it's an option if they will, so why not ask?

I know, but they still have the necessary authority. Now, that doesn't mean they'll agree to it... but it's an option if they will, so why not ask?

True True

It's kindof odd in a way - our law is more aimed at limiting what firearms people can possess and under what conditions... but actually getting rid of firearms isn't covered by the law properly at all. One of the more unusual aspects of the law, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

If the licences are still in date why isn't the original poster advertising these guns for sale on boards.ie rather then resorting to cutting them up!?

They are worthless.

I has further news which I shall reveal later.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

They are worthless.

I has further news which I shall reveal later.

One mans rubbish is another mans treasure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

If they are worthless why not offer to give them away ? The remington i believe is like a ruger 10/22 so custom parts could be easily got, If i had the spare cash to build another custom 22 i would have been interested in the remington!

Most clubs would have young lads interested in shooting without their own guns would be a nice Christmas present for a young lad starting out !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

On a sidenote; what's the legal definition of an "authorised person" when it comes to destroying a gun ? Is it the wife of the fella that owns a hardware store that sells 10 boxes a cartridges a year ?

Is it a registered and qualified gunsmith that can put pen to paper and say, on such and such a date I destroyed a single barrel shotgun, Brand, serial number by ..... .

Or is it simply yourself who's authorised to have the gun in your possession with the approval of a friendly Garda turning it into scrap with an anglegrinder ?

• Advertisement

The superintendent is the one with the legal authority to have the firearm destroyed meathstevie (section 6 of the act covers it) but there's no legal guideline or rule on how it's to be destroyed.

Advertisement