Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 5 opinions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Personally, I find it pretty boring. The OS needs an overhaul or at least some shortcut settings like SBS (jailbreak).

It's good hardware wise, but not much of a step up from the 4s.

No NFC - not big here yet as regards paying for things, but you can do other stuff with it which I found cool when using my GS3.

For what it is, it's way too expensive in my opinion. Definitely won't be getting one.

It all depends what you want though. I'm moving from iPhone 4s to Nexus 4. iOS echo system is very good and very stable, but I've always found it slightly limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I'm very happy with mine, upgraded from a 3gs. However in fairness I just want an iPod phone combi. I'm not interested in the countless pointless aps that others seem so enamoured by.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I like it, I moved from iph4 to the 5. In summary of my thoughts:

Positives:
    * its fast
    * screen is a perfect 16:9 ratio
    * Feels less bulky than iPh 4/4S
    * Notifications have greatly improved
    * HD Vid camera is excellent

Negatives:
    * iOS isnt as flexible as it should be by now
    * Battery is still crap
    * Not all apps have been upgraded to take into account the new screensize. (therefore some apps are 'letterboxed')
    * charge cables are expensive as there are no third party cables available.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Moved from Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

My iPhone 5 is absolutely fantastic. So much better than the 4. iOS6 os so far ahead of Android it is hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

faceman wrote: »
    * charge cables are expensive as there are no third party cables available.

http://dx.com/p/usb-sync-data-charging-lightning-cable-for-iphone-5-white-100cm-163395 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No NFC - not big here yet as regards paying for things, but you can do other stuff with it which I found cool when using my GS3.

Out of Curiosity, what are these other stuff that can be done?

I know the payment options are severely limited in Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

What are your opinions on the iPhone 5.
    I like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

Piliger wrote: »
    My iPhone 5 is absolutely fantastic. So much better than the 4.

Jesus!?! You're easily impressed. I see fúck all difference between the iPhone 4 and the 5. Apple will not be getting my money this time. I'll hang on for iPhone 6 and if that's another "white elephant" I'll feck off to android.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Am not a fan of it at all..

.. hate the long appearance and this "lightning" crap.

• Advertisement

Jesus!?! You're easily impressed. I see fúck all difference between the iPhone 4 and the 5. Apple will not be getting my money this time. I'll hang on for iPhone 6 and if that's another "white elephant" I'll feck off to android.

Im the same, much better than the 5. The screen is noticeably sharper, processor speed is evident on forst use, the speed at which email, web pages etc load is a big big improovement over the 4.

I thought the 4 was the best form factor for an iPhone until i held the 5.

Empty threats of fecking off to android mean nothing tbh, you go with whatever phone suits you, not what suits other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

kceire wrote: »

Empty threats of fecking off to android mean nothing tbh, you go with whatever phone suits you, not what suits other people.

I should have said windows too, I meant the phone that suits me, regardless of producer, I just think the 5 is cheap feeling and has no new milestones in it, just a bit if an upgrade. Apple are now making the same old phone for the last few years.

Lets hope they scrap the 5s and go straight to 6 with something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Piliger wrote: »
    My iPhone 5 is absolutely fantastic. So much better than the 4. iOS6 os so far ahead of Android it is hilarious.

LOL grow up and stop trying to turn this into another 'one of those threads'
    kceire wrote: »
    Out of Curiosity, what are these other stuff that can be done?

I know the payment options are severely limited in Eire.

There's lots of cool ways you can use NFC tags and also it's great for easily swapping data between devices - photos, music, videos....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

I've had an iPhone since feb 2008, and was hoping for big things from the 5, but once I saw what iOS6 was bringing, I lost any thoughts of getting it, and it's a shame because it's a serious piece of hardware. I still think the design of iPhone 4 is better looking, the glass look is really sweet to look at, and I can't stand having to cover it up. The bigger screen and new chips et al of the 5 make for a very good phone, but I felt it a bit long in my hand. I dunno, sometimes I feel that if you make a subconscious decision that you're not getting something then you'll automatically look for flaws in it.

I had my original and 4 on side by side yesterday and was once again reminded by how bored I am with the OS, and it's one of the many reasons I'm going to get the Lumia 920 instead, just for a bit of a change. I think with iPhone you should really only change every 2 generations to keep things fresh, but that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There's lots of cool ways you can use NFC tags and also it's great for easily swapping data between devices - photos, music, videos....

There are plenty of free apps for doing that already

Yeah I know about that function but its limited too. When I had my S3 I had to remove its case in order for the bump to work.

Me and my brother had to do the same, we tried it with a few different cases, but the oh way it worked was when both phones were naked and touching of each other.

Not the worst problem in fairness but we ended up just emailing photos to each other as its easier IMHO.

I like the idea of NFC payments and I hop it gets integrated into phones over here soon. Sure the uk already have the stickers with your details on them so you can stick them to the back of a Nokia 3210 and use that phone as a payment card, we can't even do that in Eire with the latest iPhones/androids yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

What are your opinions on the iPhone 5.

I moved from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. If I had the choice again, I wouldn't have bothered. I see no real upside, and two downsides: the battery is worse, and I had to get new cases and charging cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

quaalude wrote: »
    I moved from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5. If I had the choice again, I wouldn't have bothered. I see no real upside, and two downsides: the battery is worse, and I had to get new cases and charging cables.

I've got a 4 and would prefer a 5....swap!? :p

Advertisement