Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Mince Pies

Options
  • 12-12-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I've just filled my first tray of home-made sweet mince pies for Christmas. I have enough sweet mince for another dozen.

But riddle me this if I cook the pies today how long will they stay fresh. With brandy in the mince mixture I'm not to worried about it but the casing is homemade shortcrust pastry

Would it be best to freeze everything before baking or could I bake now and de-freeze when needed? Or will they keep fresh for five to ten days? I'm expecting visitors then.

Thanks for your advice

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

They'd probably be safe to eat in 5-10 days, but they wouldn't be all that nice...Is it the second batch you're wondering about or the first? Shortcrust pastry is pretty quick to make, I'd go with making the next batch fresh for your visitors, but if that's not an option I'd freeze the pastry and thaw it out before making the pies, or else bake the pies and freeze them. Tbh though you'd be as long defrosting the pastry as making it I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

My mother has always made them up til the point of cooking and frozen them. Bake them from frozen when needed. They've always been delicious and taste very fresh

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Uncooked pastry will keep for a week if wrapped in cling film and kept in the fridge. I'd agree that after 5-10 days it wouldn't be harmful but wouldn't be nice either.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

My mother has always made them up til the point of cooking and frozen them. Bake them from frozen when needed. They've always been delicious and taste very fresh

plus 1
    I do the same, I freeze them in the tin, when frozen into bags, then pop back into tin, and bake them fresh as required, really handy when you have extra guests arrive.

Advertisement