Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

was I fined?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I forgot my student Card in the exam and the inspector came to me and asked me about it then he said something about fine and 50 euro. At that time i was focusing in the paper "one hour exam". I didn't sign for the fine.I wasn't handed a receipt.
    How do i know if i was fined or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

It shows up on your sisweb account, they add €50 to your account and you have to pay it by a certain date.

It happened to me last year, can't remember the exact details of what I did but I remember there was one or two things I had to fill out during the exam. It's a real kick in the nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Bo**ocks to that. If I don't sign something theres no proof and I'd insist on a receipt. Otherwise its their word against yours which is typical UCD lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

ironclaw wrote: »
    Bo**ocks to that. If I don't sign something theres no proof and I'd insist on a receipt. Otherwise its their word against yours which is typical UCD lunacy.

How is it lunacy on UCDs part that you seemingly intend to lie to avoid a fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I'm sure they'll have no trouble issuing you with a receipt on payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Maybe they were affording you the courtesy of not having you fill out forms in the middle of an exam. I forgot my card one time and had to fill out a form during the exam.

The fine sucks, but it's there to prevent cheating in exams and it is written into the exam regulations which I'm sure you received multiple emails about to read prior to exam time.

Technically if you can't prove your studentship you shouldn't be allowed sit an exam...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 greens

Thanks
    I hope it is only words.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I got my phone taken off me, I had to empty my pockets because I needed to the toilet and forgot about the phone completely. Had to fill out the form during the exam, which is ridicolous, can they not make you do it at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I got my phone taken off me, I had to empty my pockets because I needed to the toilet and forgot about the phone completely. Had to fill out the form during the exam, which is ridicolous, can they not make you do it at the end...

So what's the issue? You had to fill out a form for having a phone on you, which aren't supposed to be in the exam hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why is this so serious though? I assume its to do with people sitting exams for others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Exactly the issue.

If you don't have your card they have to do an online check to get your picture off their records and then they print a form where you have to answer some random questions about yourself / your degree or whatever to identify you.

As far as I'm aware, there was an article in the College Tribune a number of years ago about people sitting exams for others and also paying others to do thesis and essay work.

The entire credibility of the university and your and my degree is on the line, if it's common knowledge that people cheat, or if it isn't very strictly checked, it discredits the entire university and everyone's degree from it, not just people who cheat and thus is taken very seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I can understand why they take it seriously, but what I don't like is that during the exam they make you fill out forms and it's very distracting. Especially when, in my case, it just slipped my mind. My card was in my wallet but I thought it was in my pocket, simple as. Why do they need to rush over to me to get me to fill out the form so quickly? Can they not just keep me until the end so I can fill the forms out then?

Luckily I had an A going into that particular exam, but I couldn't concentrate properly for the rest of it. If it was either of my other 2 exams I probably would have failed (I scraped passes in the those).

I can understand why they take it seriously, but what I don't like is that during the exam they make you fill out forms and it's very distracting. Especially when, in my case, it just slipped my mind. My card was in my wallet but I thought it was in my pocket, simple as. Why do they need to rush over to me to get me to fill out the form so quickly? Can they not just keep me until the end so I can fill the forms out then?

It's just good practice to do your paperwork right away than trying to remember which student out of the thousand odd you have to keep an eye for. What would happen if they didn't do it and the student left early, not giving them the reminder? On their heads then and why would they risk that. It may be distracting for you to fill it in, but it's your own fault for not checking for the ID.

Invigilator here.
    As was said above, we need to check your attendance within the first hour as people can leave after that. Not only that but we need that form filled out within the first half hour as we need to print out your details and check it's you before the first hour. Sometimes people are also sitting in the wrong seats so seeing your student card also assures us you are where you should be, and the sooner we do that the better for you.

Maldesu wrote: »
    So what's the issue? You had to fill out a form for having a phone on you, which aren't supposed to be in the exam hall?

That it was during the exam. They already had my student card details, so I wouldn't and couldn't get away with the penalty of having a phone on me, so there'd be no point in trying to get away with it, I wouldn't be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

I'm surprised they'd even let you into the exam hall in the first place without your ID card.

There are other Universities in Ireland that will not even let you into the exam without your ID card. If you don't have it on you, they'll force you to go to administration and get a new one issued before you can enter, even if it means you'll be late for the exam.

I'm flying to the US, but I forgot my passport. It's okay though, I'll sort it all out when I'm back.
    ehhhh, no.

That it was during the exam.

When else were they going to do it?

Polar Ice wrote: »
    I'm surprised they'd even let you into the exam hall in the first place without your ID card.

There are other Universities in Ireland that will not even let you into the exam without your ID card. If you don't have it on you, they'll force you to go to administration and get a new one issued before you can enter, even if it means you'll be late for the exam.

I'm flying to the US, but I forgot my passport. It's okay though, I'll sort it all out when I'm back.
    ehhhh, no.

Me too . I am surprised but that what happened and I am worried if there was something I missed.

Maldesu wrote: »
    When else were they going to do it?

At the end. If they even need to, they have the student number.

ehhhh, no.

Flying without a passport and entering an exam are very different things. My passport was stolen in San Francisco, and the TSA were willing to let me fly internally after some security questions. Bearing in mind, foreign national on a Visa. So its quite reasonable under certain circumstances.

Sure, when you take a book out of the library your SIS photo comes up. It would be very simple for UCD to have one member of admin staff with a laptop. Few questions and some other form of ID, easily verified off the database. We're talking literally seconds. UCD are, as usual, just out to make €30 in as easy a way as possible. If you want to make it a deterrent, fine repeat offenders. There are people who genuinely get very het up and fining them for a momentary slip is stupid in my eyes.

As for cheating in exams, I acknowledge its an issue but checking someone's student card isn't going to stop those that really, really want to.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Interesting... I didn't realise the SISweb photos came up on the library system too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Flying without a passport and entering an exam are very different things.

I was trying to highlight that other Universities in Ireland simply won't let you enter the exam hall without your ID card. Relatively speaking, UCD's policy of allowing you in but slapping you with a fine and paperwork seems fair.

I was trying to highlight that other Universities in Ireland simply won't let you enter the exam hall without your ID card. Relatively speaking, UCD's policy of allowing you in but slapping you with a fine and paperwork seems fair.

And my point is its a dated, money making based approached. With ease they could produce a list for invigilators of every persons face in the line of chairs, right down to the seat number. I appreciate Trinity can't do that, given the whole 'stuck in the 1880's with feather quill approach'

And because that would obviously produce a massive amount of printing, they could just place a query on person in chair '123' who doesn't have a student card. Just a check on who's suppose to be sitting there, up pops a photo and volia, identity confirmed. They'd just rather make an easy €30. If they want to stop repeat offenders, like I said, make it a strike each exam term. On your second strike, you get a fine. Third, fine is doubled. That is my eyes would be fair. It accepts genuine errors and punishes stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whoopssinead

If there was chances you'd still have to fill out forms in exams, which to be fair doesn't take that long. Iv taken exams another college were you just were not allowed in with out your card. So you either had to go home and pick up your card, or go get a new one which your charged for anyway and takes a good 20 mins-half hour. UCD's approach is much better IMO

Just on a further note:
    When you sit down, just take out your student card immediately. If you realize you left it outside in you bag, you can still go outside to get it as long as you haven't received your paper. And if you realize you left it at home, then come straight up to one of the desks and ask for one of the forms and fill it out before you get your paper. The only occasion when you should be filling out that form in the middle of the exam is if you haven't looked for it by the time we go around taking attendance.

Just on a further note:
    When you sit down, just take out your student card immediately. If you realize you left it outside in you bag, you can still go outside to get it as long as you haven't received your paper. And if you realize you left it at home, then come straight up to one of the desks and ask for one of the forms and fill it out before you get your paper. The only occasion when you should be filling out that form in the middle of the exam is if you haven't looked for it by the time we go around taking attendance.

I didn't know about the form at all and they also didn't bring it to me during the exam. Should I ask for the form after the exam? :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

As for cheating in exams, I acknowledge its an issue but checking someone's student card isn't going to stop those that really, really want to.
    You would think. I remember seeing someone get up and leg it up through the RDS hall to make a run for it as he bottled in when he noticed how the intently the invigilator was checking the identity of the student card holder. He was prevented from leaving by those at the exit.

I also remember seeing someone get caught red handed with cheat notes in his pencil case. Oh, and now that I think of it, I remember seeing someone have an epileptic fit in the middle of an exam. Chairs and tables everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

The 9am exam today was postponed 15 minutes as a girl collapsed and started having seizures at the top of the hall.
    They waited for an ambulance to arrive and for her to be carried out until the exam started. Alan Hunter gave us 5 extra minutes after the exam too, not counting the extra 15 for it being delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 LemonWorld

Anybody know how long it takes for a phone to be returned? Had mine confiscated this evening and was planning to go home for Christmas tomorrow but looks like I might have to wait a bit longer now :(

LemonWorld wrote: »
    Anybody know how long it takes for a phone to be returned? Had mine confiscated this evening and was planning to go home for Christmas tomorrow but looks like I might have to wait a bit longer now :(

Pretty sure its the next day in Assessment in the Tierney Building. Can I ask why it was taken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 LemonWorld

Pretty sure its the next day in Assessment in the Tierney Building. Can I ask why it was taken?

It got taken because I'm an absolute idiot who didn't think to put their phone on silent or turn it off :o Happened in the last 10 minutes of my last exam and everything!

I was told I'd receive an email when it would be available but it was left pretty vague. I kind of thought I would get it back tomorrow, but I was more just wondering what time it would be at, as I had made arrangements that I couldn't really be too flexible on!

Advertisement