Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning goods to Lees Motorcycle in Cork.

• 12-12-2012 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

I have a pair of Targa boots. Yeah, they're Targa, I know. I got them for just under sixty euros. They're also the second pair I've owned and my first pair, I only got them because at the time that was all I could afford. I was pleasantly surprised to find they lasted me the better part of two years. The second pair... They're not even a year old and the left boot is falling apart, the right boot is fine except for the sole's cushioning coming loose but the latter is only a minor inconvenience and I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over it. The fact that the right hand boot is falling apart though, is.

I took them back to Lees with the receipt and I was met with a lot of humming and haa-ing. The fellow I spoke to, the older gentleman with glasses, kept telling me that it's too late to bring them back and I asked why as that would be covered by the warranty. A pair of motorcycle boots should last for at least a year. Even a cheap pair. After several minutes of this, he went into the back to take some pictures to send to the suppliers and I left shortly after.

I work in retail myself and I've seen plenty of people try their luck in any number of ways but if they have their receipt, we'll do right by them regardless. I'm not a frequent customer and I'm not someone who'll square up to someone behind the counter and start blustering about how I'm a loyal customer etc. I've bought biking jackets from Lees, twice, gloves, aforementioned boots, oil, spark plugs etc as they tend to have a lot of bits and their prices are all right. I have to ask, am I in the wrong here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

stick to your guns
    The irish in general are too soft and will allow themselves to be fobbed off.

anyway, the retailer will claim it back from the manufacturer/supplier.

If you dont get satisfaction from LEE, contact the manufacturer, stating that you have discussed this matter online (provide links etc)

They wont want bad publicity, noone does.

in the mean time, politely put the pressure on LEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

How much use do you give them? TBH, if you use them every day or close to it, I'd be thinking this is the risk you take with budget gear. OK, you got longer out of the first ones but inconsistent lifespan is something you could expect from a budget offering. You're more likely to get a 'Monday morning job'. If they had only lasted very little time, fair enough, you should get sorted and that's that.

If it were me, the way I'd approach it is I'd tell them I'm annoyed and want them replaced. However, if they won't replace them, the least you'd expect is a decent discount on some replacements. I wouldn't fall out with them over this because I've always found them quite professional and reasonably priced all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I am with the OP here, it does not matter what he paid for them. The item has to be fit for the job it was sold for....it did not say on the label 6mth life span motorbike boots now did it? Its not like he bought a non water proof pair of boots and is moaning coz they got wet. If its within the year and you have proof of purchase you are well entitled to at least a repair of the boots.

If not I would bring them to the small claims court....yes. For the sake of sixty quid I would, far too many retailers take the money and laugh when you go back with them. Get a repair and never deal with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 first58

i wouldnt be taking that crap from the "older gent" in Lee, he is as the italians say a "hole of the arse", i only ever deal with Matty in Lee hes a decent salesman and wouldnt see you wronged in any way, you should have been given a new pair straight away followed by an apology and then Lee would be writing to the manufactourer themselves to sort out a replacement. The "older gent" has got you involved in what should be a process for the retailer as they can only trust that the maker has sent them quality goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

With going so close to Christmas I said **** it as I needed them to get down to Kanturk to visit the grandparents so I just used an epoxy to seal the hole up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 first58

With going so close to Christmas I said **** it as I needed them to get down to Kanturk to visit the grandparents so I just used an epoxy to seal the hole up.

Tynor has boxes of boots, if you put on your best haggling face you might grab a bargain ;)

Advertisement