Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Houshold Benefits Package customers-what happens from Jan 1st?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering what happens to customers in receipt of the household benefits package who already have free units saved up from previous bills come January 1st. Can we still carry over unused units?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Sunbeam,

The €35 for the Free Electricity Allowance (FEA) has been adjusted from a unit-based allowance to a cash credit that will be applied to each electricity account every month from 1st January 2013.

Electric Ireland is still working with the Department of Social Protection regarding the carry-forward of unused units of electricity.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Any update on this?

Hi Sunbeam,

No update as of yet - we will ensure to post an update to this thread as soon as we have it.

Regards,
    Una

My next bill is now due in just over a week and I need to know if I will be able to use my previously accumulated units towards it. Any update?

Hi again Sunbeam,

The carry-over units situation is still being reviewed by the Department of Social Protection, which can be contacted on 1890 500 000.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

I just rang them, they said that Electric Ireland have been paid and its really up to you to decide how the accumulated units are handled.

Hi again Sunbeam,

I will advise you on this ASAP.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Hi again Sunbeam,

I will advise you on this ASAP.

Regards,
    Una
    Hello Una,

Just did a few calculations and wondered if I am right....

Using current unit rates as a guide:-
    Free Electricity Allowance calculations from last Budget2012.

Previously (300 per bill) 1800 free units spread over 6 Bills.
    1800 units @ 0.1699 =
    €305.82 + 13.5% VAT = €347.10 =Government assistance per year.

New Arrangement calculations.
    Government assistance €1.15068493 per day x 365 days =€419.99

In round figures:
    €420 this year minus €347 last year = €73

Above calculations show that a consumer with the household package will have €73 per year more in assistance.

Am I right there?
    Can't help thinking the government would not be that generous right now!

Hello Una,

Just did a few calculations and wondered if I am right....

Using current unit rates as a guide:-
    Free Electricity Allowance calculations from last Budget2012.

Previously (300 per bill) 1800 free units spread over 6 Bills.
    1800 units @ 0.1699 =
    €305.82 + 13.5% VAT = €347.10 =Government assistance per year.

New Arrangement calculations.
    Government assistance €1.15068493 per day x 365 days =€419.99

In round figures:
    €420 this year minus €347 last year = €73

Above calculations show that a consumer with the household package will have €73 per year more in assistance.

Am I right there?
    Can't help thinking the government would not be that generous right now!
    Under the old system the standing charge and PSO Levy were also included in the free allowance. On my last bimonthly bill these amounted to 26.65 and 5.27 (including vat). I'm presuming that the new monthly allowance of 35 euro is also supposed to cover these, so that's 15.96 gone before you even start using any electricity.

Of course this is just a presumption on my part-can anyone from Electric Ireland confirm it?

Hi Watchman and Sunbeam,

As your current bill covers a period up to the 31st December, the allowance for that period will be based on the previous format which was units/PSO/standing charge-based. The other portion of your bill from 1st January to date will display your allowance in the new format as a daily monetary value.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

So does that mean that previously accumulated units will still be applied to the bill for the whole period and then the cash allowance applied also?

I've only about 100 accumulated units but these were used by December 31st.

Hi Sunbeam,

We are still awaiting an update regarding the situation with the left-over units. Sorry about the delay.

Regards,
    Una

Hi Sunbeam,

We are still awaiting an update regarding the situation with the left-over units. Sorry about the delay.

Regards,
    Una
    Any update on this-or will I just have to wait for the bill? Electric Ireland have had two months to sort this out at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

sunbeam wrote:
    Any update on this-or will I just have to wait for the bill

Hi sunbeam, regrettably we're still waiting on an update ourselves. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

As soon as we've heard from the Department of Social Protection, we will post an update on this thread.

Regards,

David

Hi sunbeam, regrettably we're still waiting on an update ourselves. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

As soon as we've heard from the Department of Social Protection, we will post an update on this thread.

Regards,

David
    My bill was due on February 6th and there is still no sign of it online. My neighbours received estimated bills last week.

I'm just wondering if you now know how carryover units will be dealt with and if I can enter my meter readings to get my bill, or should I keep waiting.

Hi Sunbeam,

Unfortunately no update as of yet regarding the unused units. It is still being worked on. With regards to your bill, can you private message me your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address in full as they appear on your account, as well as either your date of birth or the contact telephone number on your account?

Thanks,
    Una

Advertisement