Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ben Dunne Cherrywood!

• 12-12-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I see that Ben Dunne is opening a gym in Cherrywood in March of next year. I am considering joining because the price is considerably cheaper than my current gym (Loughlinstown) and the facilities appear to be better.

http://www.bendunnegyms.com/cherrywood.aspx

I just have some questions about Ben Dunne gyms from members of the other branches. I have heard that the Dumbbells only go up to 30kg, any truth in this? I'm also just wondering about how busy the gyms may be from around 8-10pm on weekdays? Overall are members satisfied with the facilities in the gyms?

Cheers,
    DL Saint!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I haven't used db's that heavy myself but I think you may be right, I've seen one of the pt's strapping plates on to the db's when he's traiing himself.

The time you mention would be busy but easing off from the after work crowd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Dumbbells only go to 30kg. The gyms aren't that busy when they first open but after 6 months they're packed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

DL Saint wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I see that Ben Dunne is opening a gym in Cherrywood in March of next year. I am considering joining because the price is considerably cheaper than my current gym (Loughlinstown) and the facilities appear to be better.

http://www.bendunnegyms.com/cherrywood.aspx

I just have some questions about Ben Dunne gyms from members of the other branches. I have heard that the Dumbbells only go up to 30kg, any truth in this? I'm also just wondering about how busy the gyms may be from around 8-10pm on weekdays? Overall are members satisfied with the facilities in the gyms?

Cheers,
    DL Saint!

Was in the one in Lucan for over a year and couldn't fault it for equipment (it had more than any other gym I've seen), price and everything else to be honest. But it is true about the DBs, they only go up to either 25 or 30kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

For that price it seems worth a punt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

That is real strange, I really don't get it.

30kg isn't that heavy at all, i just go to a normal gym and a lot of the guys including myself lift dumbbells far heavier than 30kg.

They surely must get a lot of complaints about it.

Besides that, it looks like an awesome gym at an awesome price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I imagine for the typical Ben Dunne member 30 kg dumbells and below are fine.

If your strong enough to be juggling 2 or 3 30kg dumbells like most here seem to be..then perhaps a Ben Dunne gym is not for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

xgtdec wrote: »

If your strong enough to be juggling 2 or 3 30kg dumbells like most here seem to be..then perhaps a Ben Dunne gym is not for you!

How about BHAF in Sandyford? it's only 29e p.m no contract and soulds like it would suit your needs better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Mickk

Liam90 wrote: »
    That is real strange, I really don't get it.

30kg isn't that heavy at all, i just go to a normal gym and a lot of the guys including myself lift dumbbells far heavier than 30kg.

They surely must get a lot of complaints about it.

Besides that, it looks like an awesome gym at an awesome price.

Think about it, Ben Dunne doesn't care about opening a good gym, he cares about how much money it can make. Anyone who needs dumbbells over 30kg obviously uses the gym a good bit and will join and actually use the gym regularly, a nightmare for Ben Dunne, he only wants people who join and never come back (hence the get all the money up front and even offer 18 months for the price of a year ect because hopefully they wont last a month let alone 18)

It's funny, in Westpoint (his first gym) he had dumbbells up to 50kg and after about a year the manager told the members that the insurance wasn't letting them have dumbbells over 30kg anymore, then when the all blacks were over and wanted a place to train they brought back the dumbbells for a week... You get what you pay for, if your serious about training join a good gym.

Mickk wrote: »

Think about it, Ben Dunne doesn't care about opening a good gym, he cares about how much money it can make. Anyone who needs dumbbells over 30kg obviously uses the gym a good bit and will join and actually use the gym regularly, a nightmare for Ben Dunne, he only wants people who join and never come back (hence the get all the money up front and even offer 18 months for the price of a year ect because hopefully they wont last a month let alone 18)

It's funny, in Westpoint (his first gym) he had dumbbells up to 50kg and after about a year the manager told the members that the insurance wasn't letting them have dumbbells over 30kg anymore, then when the all blacks were over and wanted a place to train they brought back the dumbbells for a week... You get what you pay for, if your serious about training join a good gym.

No offense to anyone who uses Ben Dunne gyms but the clientele isn't the best in them. You get a lot of Muppets in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

xgtdec wrote: »

flat or decline chest press at 2x30kg isn't anything significant, the only thing is the barbells can be loaded as heavy as you wish so it's kind of silly and irritating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 lucan45

Mickk wrote: »

The dumbbells in Planet Fitness in the States only go to a similar weight. A lot of it has to so with the problem of people leaving heavy dumbbells on the ground for the staff to put them back rather than replacing the themselves. How can you expect an average female fitness instructor to lift 50kg dumbbells safely? And that's a complete untruth about Them wanting people to join up and never come back. Renewing members is a very important part of the business.
    Bottom line is, They have a hell of a lot of members in Dublin who seem to find their gyms perfectly adequate for their needs. Why all the Ben Dunne Gym bashing? A lot of people think they are excellent gyms and easy on the wallet also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

lucan45 wrote: »
    Bottom line is, They have a hell of a lot of members in Dublin who seem to find their gyms perfectly adequate for their needs. Why all the Ben Dunne Gym bashing? A lot of people think they are excellent gyms and easy on the wallet also!

I would have to agree, it does seem "cool" to knock Ben Dunne gyms. I've just joined in Northwood as I started a job just next door, and apart from the lack of Dumbbells over 30kgs, it is easily as good as Total Fitness was, for less than half the price.

Nate

The dumbbells in Planet Fitness in the States only go to a similar weight. A lot of it has to so with the problem of people leaving heavy dumbbells on the ground for the staff to put them back rather than replacing the themselves. How can you expect an average female fitness instructor to lift 50kg dumbbells safely? And that's a complete untruth about Them wanting people to join up and never come back. Renewing members is a very important part of the business.

Planet Fitness doesn't allow deadlifting. Says it all really.

Planet Fitness doesn't allow deadlifting. Says it all really.
    As does the fact that they are the biggest and most successful gym chain in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I'd have to agree. It seems to be fashionable to slate BD gyms but, from my experience of being a member of one for a year, they're pretty good facilities! The one in Lucan had 3/4 squat racks, 2/3 smith machines, four fixed Bench Presses, two fixed incline Benchs, two fixed decline Benchs and I think at least 3 cable stations. Really couldn't fault it and would recommend it to anyone.

As does the fact that they are the biggest and most successful gym chain in America.

Because you can join them for $10 a month.

Because you can join them for $10 a month.
    Great value. But in my opinion the Ben Dunne Gym offering is even better than PF.

Great value. But in my opinion the Ben Dunne Gym offering is even better than PF.

Yeah great value... No dead lifting, benches, t-bar rows or squatting. Just a "lunk alarm" if you grunt during a heavy set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

I actually figured Gold's would have been the most successful gym chain in the states (apart from in San Francisco of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hutchy1

Guys be careful about Ben Dunnes Gym in Cherrywood. They are introducing new equipment and as a result are eliminating several daily classes, reducing numbers attending classes and getting customers to move the bikes into the room for spinning classes. Dont know about you but I can move them as they are very heavy - wonder about insurance here!!!!!l Reckon its all geared towards reducing costs:mad: at customers expense, pain etc. Now that he has his numbers he is introducing less classes !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I was there at the weekend. Think moving the bikes was a one off event .

It's more beneficial for them to have larger classes as it frees up the rest of the gym. Lets wait till everything is in before you scare people

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hutchy1

Ted thanks for response but this happened this morning and 30 ladies complained to the manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Complaining about moving something heavy in the gym? They are introducing this, its good news. The Spin bikes will find a home eventually.

1238936_445100968935971_1501920240_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

I still think it's a spaceship. Im convinced we are to be probed.

Advertisement