Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for alternatives to Green Silence...

• 12-12-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

I started running regularly in 2010 and bought two pairs of runners: the Brooks Green Silence and the Asics Piranha SP3. I've fairly much lived in the Brooks Green Silence (buying four other pairs) since then, for all sorts of training and racing (up to marathon). I've only started wearing the Asics recently to do intervals since joining a club - and they're great for faster stuff.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a training shoe (for long runs) that is about as light as the Green Silence but a bit faster than the Green Silence, maybe? The GS is starting to feel a little ploddy.

I bought a pair of Innov8 f-lite 195, which I also love, earlier this year for running on trails and grass (the Green Silence has no grip) but both the Innov8 and the Asics are a bit flimsy for long road runs - 16+.

Something about the weight of the green silence with slightly more cushioning than the f-lite 195 or Piranha would be ideal. At the minute, I'm thinking of opting for the Brooks T7 or ST5??

Green Silence - 7.0 oz (196g) / 10mm heel-toe differential
    Innov8 - 6.9oz (195g) / 3mm heel-toe differential
    Asics Piranha SP3 - 4.6 oz (138g) / 5mm heel-toe differential

So, any recommendations for a good lightweight training shoe, fire away!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

have you looked at the Brooks Pure range ? I got a pair, but as a replacement for Kinvaras as they are slightly more cushioned than the GS, but I think there is a model which is a pretty direct replacement for the GS.
    I''m still wringing the las out of mine, all of the rubber is gone from the sole, but they're still OK. I also have a brand new pair waiting for when they eventually go

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The pure drift(?), out in the new year, is the intended replacement, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Actually, that pure drift might be exactly what I'm looking for - looks more like the green silence than the other pure shoes but also a bit "faster" than the Green Silence.

@cambo_gueno - I think only one of my 5 GS is officially retired, the others all have a few years left yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The Pure Drift have either a 4mm H-t-T diff (or a zeromm) where the Green Silence has 10mm. It's quite a difference.

Betcha the Pure Drift price isn't anywhere near the 70 quid they were charging for the GS either...the price of minimalism I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

If you like Inov8, have a look at the Road-X range.
    I have the 255 & 233, with a 9mm & 6mm drop respectively. the numbers indicate the weight in grams.
    They have a new range due out in Spring (when exactly I don't know) with some new shoes that might fit what you're looking for - I'm thinking the Road X Treme 208 with a 6mm drop.
    The Road X Treme 178 with 3mm drop is probably more suitable for shorter training sessions & races than longer runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Pure Connect which has been available for the past season is considered the replacement for the Green Silence. The Drift, as pointed out above, is only 4mm differential.

While the price has gone from the €70-€80 of the Green Silence to €100 for the Pure Range they're comparable to the remainder of the minimalist shoes all being in the €90-€120ish price bracket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pure Connect which has been available for the past season is considered the replacement for the Green Silence.

Would have thought they'd be a completely different shoe too? Pure connect is nothing but a training shoe IMO wheras people seem to use green silence as a racing shoe.

Anyway, I'll be trying pure drift. Have been happy with pure connect. They're lovely when you fancy a bit of cushioning! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Pure Connect which has been available for the past season is considered the replacement for the Green Silence. The Drift, as pointed out above, is only 4mm differential.

While the price has gone from the €70-€80 of the Green Silence to €100 for the Pure Range they're comparable to the remainder of the minimalist shoes all being in the €90-€120ish price bracket.

Cheers - to be honest, I've kind of fallen into minimalism by accident, because the first pair of runners I got into were the Green Silence.

I wasn't intending to get into lighter and lighter shoes although I'd be worried about getting chunkier, heavier runners now after having spent 2 years in the Green Silence.

I was wondering, though, why do elite runners wear the shoes they do? Presuming they can wear fairly much any shoe. None of the guys in the picture below are wearing the Green Silence! But there are a few shoes that are worn by more than a couple of them.

The-start-of-the-Charleville-International-Half-Marathon-being-led-out-by-Mark-Hanrahan-Leevale-AC-Pacer-3.jpg

So, which of the shoes in this picture would be closest to the Green Silence?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Would have thought they'd be a completely different shoe too? Pure connect is nothing but a training shoe IMO wheras people seem to use green silence as a racing shoe.

Anyway, I'll be trying pure drift. Have been happy with pure connect. They're lovely when you fancy a bit of cushioning! :pac:

The Green Silence was originally intended as a training shoe and became a cult shoe on account of its green credentials. It turned out to be a really great shoe and while it wouldn't be considered a typical minimalist shoe (with 10mm) heel drop it kinda paved a path in that area based on the lower midsole and feedback to the feet.

People seemed to love the allroundedness of the shoe and found it performed really well as a race shoe too on account of the constant feel in the forefoot. Most minimalist shoes are now very flexible in the forefoot, proprioception etc.
    Sacksian wrote: »

I was wondering, though, why do elite runners wear the shoes they do? Presuming they can wear fairly much any shoe. None of the guys in the picture below are wearing the Green Silence! But there are a few shoes that are worn by more than a couple of them.

So, which of the shoes in this picture would be closest to the Green Silence?!

From what I can see the majority of the shoes are typical racing flats rather than minimalist shoes ( there is a subtle difference ). A lot of seasoned racers will use a more traditional mileage shoe for training and switch to the lighter racer to gain the race day benefit of lighter shoes.

Advertisement