Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do MMA Fans hate Anderson Silva

• 12-12-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

So i was talking to some friends about Anderson Silva, now im not much of a fan of mma but i have watched a few of the big fights so oviously i am familar with Silva well anyway my friends where saying they really want to see him get beaten and they hate the guy is that a general opinion among more avid mma fans and why, the guy to my untrained eye appears to be the best mma fighter in the world so why the hate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No matter who you are or what sport you're involved with, there will always be people that hate you for one reason or another.
    I don't think the general consensus is that he's hated. I think the majority of fans like him. But being such a dominant champion, people will always be looking for someone who can beat him. People love an underdog. And Silva is certainly not an underdog.
    In my opinion, he is arguably the greatest mma fighter ever and watching him fight is a thing of beauty. Nobody does it like him.
    And it's great to be around to witness his fights and to watch them live. He's like the Ali of mma. And in years to come, we'll all be able to look back and say "I was there", or "I remember watching that fight live on tv".
    It's great to be able to witness it as it happens, and I think we should all just sit back and enjoy it while it lasts. He won't be around forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MMA fans are people, and people are idiots!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

After seeing so many debates mindless arguments, (some of which I've being part of) on hating fighters. For some of the most mindless reasons like I hate Jones because he's cocky, and I hate GSP because he's boring etc

I've realized it's easier to not express irrational hatred on an internet forum, lest you want to be ridiculed and shamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

People did hate Silva for a while a few years ago because he went into the Octagon and danced around and fought very safely (read boring). Not sure what happened, I think it was after the Thales Leites fight maybe, but from there, he started finishing fights, and finishing with aplomb.

I do not think there is any Silva hate anymore in truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I think people will hate you out of jealously really. Its a really sad part of society who like to see their betters "knocked off their high horse".

A lot of people didn't like Ali either when he was in his prime, as he was a cocky outspoken black person others simply because he was that good. History now see's him as the greatest.

The fact Anderson hasn't gone out of his way to get English speaking masses to like him has annoyed the simpler folks who, would rather American humor big mouths like Chael and dislike when people speak foreign.

He went through a weird patch with the Damien Maia and Thales Leities fights, but I really think it was boredom more than anything (both pretty much the same style of fighter who didn't want to engage). He realises his career is almost over and he has big sponsors and the eye of his home country following him now, and does not want to disappoint.

Edit: btw If Anderson was American or English we wouldn't hear the end of it. (If he was Irish he would be the second coming).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gimmick wrote: »
    People did hate Silva for a while a few years ago because he went into the Octagon and danced around and fought very safely (read boring). Not sure what happened, I think it was after the Thales Leites fight maybe, but from there, he started finishing fights, and finishing with aplomb.

I do not think there is any Silva hate anymore in truth.

This right here, go watch the Leites fight and the Maia fight in full, back to back and you'll see why there was a lot of hate for him. Then go watch the interviews where he claims to be humble and full of respect and you'll see it wasn't all irrational internet hate. Fortunately Chael P. Sonnen came along and re-energised Silva and we can get back to appreciating his ability (but I still don't like his character).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

This right here, go watch the Leites fight and the Maia fight in full, back to back and you'll see why there was a lot of hate for him. Then go watch the interviews where he claims to be humble and full of respect and you'll see it wasn't all irrational internet hate. Fortunately Chael P. Sonnen came along and re-energised Silva and we can get back to appreciating his ability (but I still don't like his character).

I think you are giving Chael P Sonnen a bit too much credit there. I seem to remember him matrixing Forrest Griffin in the mean time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

While I don't agre with it I can understand the logic of GSP/Jones or Greg Jackson hate.

I don't understand why people hate Anderson. He's the p4p best ever. Maybe people hate him because he's beaten a few fans favourites Rich, Leben, Hendo, Forest, Lee Murray and Vitor. But apart from jealousy I don't see the hate. Every time he fights he sparks week long debates. He's ahead of his time and I don't know when we'll see an mma fighter with his level of striking again. When you look at timing, footwork, head movement angles etc he's on another planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Do fans hate Silva??

Maybe I just hadnt noticed because I'm blinded by the gigantic man crush I have for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I don't think its hate as much as much as they would like to see him lose.

Personally, I love the guy and think he is an immense fighter and unbelievable to watch but I would like to see somebody beat him, only because it keeps it interesting and shakes things up.

Its like any sport, if one person or team keeps winning everything, it gets boring and opponents face them with a negative attitude making a boring spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Id like to see him retire while hes on top hopefully he continues to perform well in his last few fights.

RoboRat wrote: »
    I don't think its hate as much as much as they would like to see him lose.

Personally, I love the guy and think he is an immense fighter and unbelievable to watch but I would like to see somebody beat him, only because it keeps it interesting and shakes things up.

Its like any sport, if one person or team keeps winning everything, it gets boring and opponents face them with a negative attitude making a boring spectacle.

I think he deserves to retire unbeaten (in the UFC).

Although he won't if he gets his way. He's asked for a 10 fight deal.

If he fights as often as he has been doing he'll still be fighting at the age of 42!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Personally i went lot's off him when he had 3-4 fight run of trying his best not to fight or entertain and then mocked maia for not engaging, He's great but not my cup of tea, Also i still feel Belfort would smash him up if they are to fight again.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    Personally i went lot's off him when he had 3-4 fight run of trying his best not to fight or entertain and then mocked maia for not engaging, He's great but not my cup of tea, Also i still feel Belfort would smash him up if they are to fight again.

Nah. I don't think Belfort is on Silva's level.

He COULD beat him yeah, there ain't many around who could take a full blow from Vitor and stay conscious to tell the tale.

But would he beat Silva? I don't think so! Maybe he'd win 1 bout if they fought 5 times. Maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Hank Schrader

For the same reason they hate GSP

Irish people dont like a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭ufc pro

in my opinion silva is a great champion, think if you where that good something especially a combat sport how easy it would be to get cocky and say im the best and no one can touch me and talk **** like 99% of the other fighters that are not even in the same league as silva! thats this guy,a very humble champion for the title he holds, this guy does not just beat you, he destroys you, look at what he did to franklin a dominant champion at the time, crushed him twice in devastating fashion, these are the signs of a true champ and with his status it would be extremely easy to lose your way and become 'that guy'. people simply hat him 'because' hes so good. but that is human nature, the only way to describe this man is LEGEND, but like that guy posted a couple posts ago i dont think he would have such an easy time with belfort if they fought again! i would like to see him fight belchar or weidman both could give him problems!

ufc pro wrote: »
    in my opinion silva is a great champion, think if you where that good something especially a combat sport how easy it would be to get cocky and say im the best and no one can touch me and talk **** like 99% of the other fighters that are not even in the same league as silva! thats this guy,a very humble champion for the title he holds, this guy does not just beat you, he destroys you, look at what he did to franklin a dominant champion at the time, crushed him twice in devastating fashion, these are the signs of a true champ and with his status it would be extremely easy to lose your way and become 'that guy'. people simply hat him 'because' hes so good. but that is human nature, the only way to describe this man is LEGEND, but like that guy posted a couple posts ago i dont think he would have such an easy time with belfort if they fought again! i would like to see him fight belchar or weidman both could give him problems!

In my opinion, any shread of doubt that anyone could've possibly had with regard to Silva not being a "true champ" was destroyed when he threw up the triangle on Chael Sonnen.

For me, that IS a Champion moment! That's what Champions are made of. He was getting beat and he found a way to win!

Love him or hate him, you have to agree that it was one of the best moments in the history of sport!

totally agree, i remember mates of mine saying that he was lucky and it was a fluke a landed that triangle, but he knew sonnen had a bad habit of leaving the arms in and he just waited and it payed off, i would be lying if i said i new he was going to win in that last round but i remember jumping out of the chair and screaming, woke the whole house up!

ufc pro wrote: »
    totally agree, i remember mates of mine saying that he was lucky and it was a fluke a landed that triangle, but he knew sonnen had a bad habit of leaving the arms in and he just waited and it payed off, i would be lying if i said i new he was going to win in that last round but i remember jumping out of the chair and screaming, woke the whole house up!

i was the same.

I dunno how peole could call a triangle "lucky", it's a pretty solid technique, he didn't just throw his legs up and somehow found himself in a mystical position which ended in Sonnen submitting/going out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Don't know many that hate Silva TBH . I don't really care either. The guy is a legend. Biggest hole in his game is wrestling. But his timing and movement make him hard to take down. Plus in the clinch his knees and elbows are savage

See more dislike for Bones and I think he is just as good if not better. Time will tell

I hear he is a seriously rough coach though who takes no ****

true about the wrestling, but his guard is excellent he never takes much if any damage, even from sonnen, im not too fond of jones after the whole episode with turning down fights but i think thats more greg jackson, but at light heavy there is no one close to beating him, i would like to see machida get another shot after he destroys sonnen,

Advertisement