Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this landlord keep my deposit?

Options
  • 12-12-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

I moved into a place 2 months, didn't sign any lease or specify how long I would be staying.

I paid a months rent as a deposit 300~ along with another months rent. The course I'm doing is changing to online after Christmas so it makes more sense for me to go home for that period.

I told the landlord tonight and she said she'd have to speak with the landlord about it and she`ll let me know soon. According to the other people living here that is her way of saying you won't be getting it. I haven't damaged anything in the property or anything similar.

My previous accommodation I actually signed a 9 month lease, and left after only 2 months, the landlord instantly refunded me the deposit and told me It was against the law to keep it. ( Fairly cute Businessman )

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Actually, your last LL was pretty decent. If you signed a 9 month lease and left after only 2, then he's fully entitled to keep the deposit as you broke the lease. He probably didn't want the hassle.

Just as this landlady's doing. And she would be well within her rights.

Why do you keep signing leases only to break them shortly after?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

nuxxx wrote: »
    I told the landlord tonight and she said she'd have to speak with the landlord about it
    what does this mean? Does your landlord live in the house as well? Why would she need to speak to herself about it?
    nuxxx wrote:
    didn't sign any lease or specify how long I would be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Read the first line again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

nuxxx wrote: »
    I moved into a place 2 months, didn't sign any lease or specify how long I would be staying.
    You need to give the appropriate notice in writing and you should get your deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

what does this mean? Does your landlord live in the house as well? Why would she need to speak to herself about it?

That's what she told me, I was sure she was the landlord. She doesn't live on the property

I don't intentionally break leases, its just a matter of circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Victor wrote: »
    Read the first line again. :)

My bad. And someone got there before you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You must give 28 days notice, in writing, if you intend to vacate the property. The landlord is entitled to expect rent to be paid up to the end of the 28 days of the notice, and is within their rights to deduct from the lease any outstanding rent that has not been paid for this period.

In other words, the notice that you gave verbally is not worth a dickybird, and if you were to give notice properly in writing tomorrow you would be liable to pay rent until 10th January whether you intend to stay in the property until then or not.

Advertisement