Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EN50131 standards

Options
  • 12-12-2012 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Story lads, I was wondering if I could have your input on something.. I came across an alarm installation today. The chap had got new windows in and all the old contacts were left sitting there short. The new windows are of different design and all the openings have changed. So is it acceptable under the standards to use a junction block and carry on with the connection or does it have to be a new run of cable ? And also upstairs had four contacts in a zone, three of which though were wired using telephone cable. would this be acceptable also or would it have to be changed ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Story lads, I was wondering if I could have your input on something.. I came across an alarm installation today. The chap had got new windows in and all the old contacts were left sitting there short. The new windows are of different design and all the openings have changed. So is it acceptable under the standards to use a junction block and carry on with the connection or does it have to be a new run of cable ? And also upstairs had four contacts in a zone, three of which though were wired using telephone cable. would this be acceptable also or would it have to be changed ?
    Thanks

Yes it is acceptable to extend your contact cables using junction boxes, don't forget to tamper them. There is no problem with 4 contacts on a zone, you are allowed 10 such detectors per zone. A few years back I had an NSAI inspection on a system, a door bell type cable had been prewired to the front door, we had dual moded it. I asked the inspector about the cable and he mentioned that no where in the standards does it mention cable type, therefore he had no issue with a bell cable therefore I see no issue with a telephone cable, its just a bitch to work with.

Advertisement