Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking duck breasts

Options
  • 12-12-2012 10:35pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My mu has gotten it into her head that she's like to cook duck breasts for Christmas. There's only 3 of us this year. What's the best, most fool-proof method for cooking them? She's never cooked them before, and like many Irish folk of a certain age, struggles not to cook meat until it's cremated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I think frying them is the easiest. This has foolproof instructions:
    http://www.saveurduck.com/cooking_duck_breast.php

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I usually place them in a hot frying pan skin side down until the skin is crispy, pour off most of the fat, then turn them over and put them in a hot oven (200deg) for about 8-10 minutes to complete the cooking. You'll need a pan you can place into the oven for this obviously :) Then just allow to rest for 5 mins before carving into slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Alun wrote: »
    I usually place them in a hot frying pan skin side down until the skin is crispy, pour off most of the fat, then turn them over and put them in a hot oven (200deg) for about 8-10 minutes to complete the cooking. You'll need a pan you can place into the oven for this obviously :) Then just allow to rest for 5 mins before carving into slices.

+1 And maybe score the skin through the fat but not into the meat before putting into the pan

Edit - Oh , and season to taste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Key thing with duck is to rest it for as long as possible. Like 15 mins if possible. Rest rest rest.

YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kimia wrote: »
    Key thing with duck is to rest it for as long as possible. Like 15 mins if possible. Rest rest rest.

YUM!
    +1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'd cook it Gordon Ramsay's way -- score the skin, season with salt & pepper (I also like to rub them with Chinese 5 spice), place on a cold pan skin side down, no oil, and place pan on gentle low heat. It'll render a huge amount of fat out of the skin, making it crispy. Pour out excessive fat, flip over and put in the oven for about 10 min or cook to your liking. Let it rest well to ensure it's moist and tender. And don't slice the breast too thin to serve or it'll go cold too quickly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Fab, thanks for the replies!

What about cooking a crown - is it along the same lines?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Faith wrote: »
    Fab, thanks for the replies!

What about cooking a crown - is it along the same lines?

I'd roast crown, not pay fry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

great trick is to steam your duck pieces first for about 15/20 minutes before roasting or frying as it will help render the fat. You can also just pour a big kettle of boiling water over the duck first (what the Skeaghanore folks recommend).

..and if you can get a Skeaghanore duck even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

It's nice to pour some soy sauce over it too before frying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Faith wrote: »
    My mu has gotten it into her head...

Your mu? :pac:

This thread has inspired me to cook duck. I've never dared, always afraid that I'd over or undercook it. But damn it, I'm gonna try!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

This thread has inspired me to cook duck. I've never dared, always afraid that I'd over or undercook it. But damn it, I'm gonna try!

It's actually not difficult. The Gordon Ramsey method above works really well.

If you're worried about over or under cooking it, buy a meat thermometer and get rid of the guesswork. Ikea have a good one for €8.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/20103016/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Lol, oops! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

no fear of under cooking with the ramsey method, just wait until it's cooked about 3/4's the way on the first side before turning and then cook for another 5 minutes on the second side. Good thing about duck is, you can't under cook it really, it can be served rare.

Advertisement