If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Blu-Ray player

Options
  • 12-12-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

I currently have a Sony DAV DZ-630, which has served me well over the past few years. However, the time has come to move to Blu-Ray. I'm resigned to the fact that I will lose my surround sound, and I'm looking at your Sony S490., which would allow me to play my R1 DVDs.

Two questions really: I have been busy converting my DVD collection to ISO and plan to play them across my LAN, or from a local USB disk. Is the S490 a good starting point and if I can go back to surround sound at some stage in the future, roughly how much would I be looking at to in today's prices as a starting point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

whoami1 wrote: »
    if I can go back to surround sound at some stage in the future, roughly how much would I be looking at to in today's prices as a starting point?

Sorry, what I meant to say here was: If I wanted to purchase an amp and surround sound speakers in a year or so to complement the Blu-Ray player, am I really looking at big money to duplicate/improve my current setup?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

whoami1 wrote: »
    Sorry, what I meant to say here was: If I wanted to purchase an amp and surround sound speakers in a year or so to complement the Blu-Ray player, am I really looking at big money to duplicate/improve my current setup?

I think that the BDPS490 is a great starter Blu-Ray and as it's just dropped in price again to just £104.95 it's at a great price as well! (that's for the Multi region version)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/sony/bdps490-mr/sony-bdps490-blk-mr

have a look at the What Hi-Fi review here:
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s490

On the larger issue of how much would it cost for a quality separates system to replace your current set-up - AV receiver pricing has literally tumbled in the last few weeks and I really think now that you can get a serious quality system for under £500 now ( and a damn decent one for quite a lot less!)

Thanks again and drop me a line when you are thinking of upgrading and I'll give you some suggestions and latest pricing,

Thanks again,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭whoami1

Thanks John for that information. PM being sent shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

interested innthis also, is it possible to connect via wifi or Ethernet?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi GG,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The Sony offers the option of either running an ethernet cable directly from your router into the player. Or using the Sony Wifi dongle to connect via WiFi.

Chris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Thanks

PM sent

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.