Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I obliged to sign a new lease after my current one exprires?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    My lease is coming to an end in a few weeks.
    Am i obliged to sign another lease with my landlord or can i just go month to month after it expires?
    I would have thought the latter. I would also prefer the latter.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Hi.
    My lease is coming to an end in a few weeks.
    Am i obliged to sign another lease with my landlord or can i just go month to month after it expires?
    I would have thought the latter. I would also prefer the latter.
    Any advice much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Have a look at the conditions for a Part 4 tenancy on http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html.

Essentially you don't have to sign another (I assume you mean) fixed-term lease unless you want to.

You are supposed to tell your landlord that you intend to remain under Part 4 between 3 and 1 months before the end of your fixed term. If you do not, you can remain under Part 4 but the landlord can claim certain expenses against you.

It's not month-by-month as such, the notice periods at any stage will be clear from the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I didn't sign a new lease when my first 12 month lease expired. I spoke to landlord who told me i would have to sign a new one, but after pointing out to him that legally i wasn't required to he backed down and so i'm on a month to month now.

but have you part 4 letter at the ready just in case and give the LL plenty of notice. you can't lose really as long as you follow procedure here.

Advertisement