Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 can't enter safe mode or boot

Options
  • 13-12-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

So I installed windows 8 today and all was fine until I installed the Asus AI suite for my rampage iv formula mobo. Now I cannot boot into windows or access safe mode at all. I've tried every suggestion of holding/tapping shift+f8 but it seems that hotkey is gone. Any suggestions of how I can enter safe mode?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

So I installed windows 8 today and all was fine until I installed the Asus AI suite for my rampage iv formula mobo. Now I cannot boot into windows or access safe mode at all. I've tried every suggestion of holding/tapping shift+f8 but it seems that hotkey is gone. Any suggestions of how I can enter safe mode?

just tap f8 not shift + f8

its always been just f8 and never shift + f8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

just tap f8 not shift + f8

its always been just f8 and never shift + f8

Thanks for the response, the story I have learned off my little phone browser is that it was always f8, until the customer preview of W8, which changed it to hold shift+tap f8, and in the final release it looks like they have gotten rid of those hotkeys completely. I have read people saying there is no need for a safe mode because W8 theoretically boots in some kind of new safe mode every time and checks vital stuff before booting. There is a safe mode there but the only way I can see to access it is by setting it somewhere in the control panel, which of course I have no access to.

Edit: I'm on a crappy netbook now so can google a wee bit more. Here is a pretty funny discussion on it. It seems to have been completely removed, and a repair disc is required get me out of this predicament. Oh well, guess I'll have to try and reinstall windows :/ Not good first impressions!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

lol yeah windows 8 doesn't seem have the draw to it that windows 7 did.

ill stick with win 7 until windows 9 or 10 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Thanks for the response, the story I have learned off my little phone browser is that it was always f8, until the customer preview of W8, which changed it to hold shift+tap f8, and in the final release it looks like they have gotten rid of those hotkeys completely. I have read people saying there is no need for a safe mode because W8 theoretically boots in some kind of new safe mode every time and checks vital stuff before booting. There is a safe mode there but the only way I can see to access it is by setting it somewhere in the control panel, which of course I have no access to.

Edit: I'm on a crappy netbook now so can google a wee bit more. Here is a pretty funny discussion on it. It seems to have been completely removed, and a repair disc is required get me out of this predicament. Oh well, guess I'll have to try and reinstall windows :/ Not good first impressions!

It's F8 on its own. I just verified it there.

Advertisement