Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Google Maps app for iOS

Options
  • 13-12-2012 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

This could be another rumour, but it could also be very true. AllThingsD are reporting that the official standalone Google Maps app for iOS will be available 'tonight' which probably means the next few hours or early morning for us.

I've seen it rumoured for a December release a a couple of times over the past few months so it could well be true. It's also pretty specific and doesn't give the general timeframe most of these rumours usually do. Google have never been clear on what was happening with the app but if it is released it would make a nice addition. I don't mind Apple Maps too much personally but I do miss street view. So it would be nice to have it back.

The next few hours will show if it's an attempt at filling a slow news day or if it's actually true. Hopefully the latter :D

EDIT: The app is now live on the App Store.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

iTunes link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

grizzly wrote: »
    iTunes link.

Yay turn by turn navigation !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Just downloaded it and have spent the last 5 minutes playing with it. It's beautiful! So comprehensive and intuitive. It really shows how utterly useless Apple Maps is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ooh it has traffic data too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Haven't downloaded yet I will later but pity there's no iPad support. Same as the other apps it'll take a few months to arrive. Seems to be a very well designed and beautiful app though. Have to say Google are really good at making iOS apps. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Doesn't seem to feature street view. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it does,

hold down on map to drop pin, it approximates address and displays at the bottom of the map, click this and there's an option for streetview if it's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

it does,

hold down on map to drop pin, it approximates address and displays at the bottom of the map, click this and there's an option for streetview if it's available.
    That was the only way to get it on the old iOS app as far as I know. Can't really remember though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Thank feck! Terrible move by Apple in the first place, so they are just righting a wrong here.

Savman wrote: »
    Thank feck! Terrible move by Apple in the first place, so they are just righting a wrong here.

Terrible PR for Apple. Brilliant for the user. Now we have a much better and much nicer version of Google Maps and YouTube. And a second Maps app by Apple which I like and works most of the time. But handy having Google Maps to make up for the places Apple dropped the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

great to have the choice but...

1. Apple maps are better looking and of a higher res.
    2. Google maps are better for POI's and don't have to rely on shit like Yelp!

if we had a combination of the two life would be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Seems like a decent addition to the app store. The interface is certainly clean and usable.

great to have the choice but...

1. Apple maps are better looking and of a higher res.
    2. Google maps are better for POI's and don't have to rely on shit like Yelp!

if we had a combination of the two life would be sweet.

But now we have two big companies trying to out do each other with a better Maps app. Google trying to stay ahead and Apple trying to catch up. The competition will only be good for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

I think i preferred the old google maps app on iPhone. Good to have turn by turn but i use TomTom anyway. I dont like that when you share a location with someone it opens in safari and not the app even if they have it. Thats pretty crap.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Loving the new app (especially on the bigger iP5 screen).

The UI has a very "Windows 8" feel to it which I actually really like.

Brilliant bit of clever marketing from Google over on Twitter :D
    screen-shot-2012-12-13-at-11-13-41-am.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Qwerty Dub wrote: »
    I think i preferred the old google maps app on iPhone. Good to have turn by turn but i use TomTom anyway. I dont like that when you share a location with someone it opens in safari and not the app even if they have it. Thats pretty crap.

Sorry I don't get this.

When I go to a location, I press and hold and a pin arrives, and then a pull up menu comes up.

I select 'share' and options to share in message, mail or copy to clipboard.

Am I missing something?

murpho999 wrote: »

Sorry I don't get this.

When I go to a location, I press and hold and a pin arrives, and then a pull up menu comes up.

I select 'share' and options to share in message, mail or copy to clipboard.

Am I missing something?

In the past if someone sent you a link for a location & you clicked it the location would open in the App. Now if you click the link it opens the pin in Safari Browser despite the fact i have the Google Maps App installed. That make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smndly

Street view has a class little button in the bottom left which uses the iphone gyroscope and compass to look around the road you are on. Very bloody cool!! :D

smndly wrote: »
    Street view has a class little button in the bottom left which uses the iphone gyroscope and compass to look around the road you are on. Very bloody cool!! :D

Thats class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

It's slower than the out-of-the box version. (I've both installed now because I wanted to be sure before upgrading past iOS 5).

Don't want ads on my YouTube either but I suppose the ability to upload photos to webpages in iOS 6 is pretty handy..

Also can't get satellite-only view any more - just hybrid and regular?

Thats fupping brilliant! :D Really nice little extra. It makes no sense really in a way but still deadly to have! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This isn't working for me for some reason.

This isn't working for me for some reason.

In what way? The button isnt there or it's not moving? I had a bad internet connection and it didnt work right away but once I had a strong Wifi connection it was fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not moving. I don't think it's my wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Here's a video that has some good tips for the new App.

App is more impressive than I realised.

Good video. Pretty nifty app.

If it opened location links in the app now i would be very happy.

What if someone shares a location with you? If the iPhone opens the link in the Safari browser and NOT in the App then you cant use the turn by turn navigation to get there or you cant save the location etc like you would be able to if you were in the App.

As in if you click this: http://m.google.com/u/m/_VJv9E

Is it just me or is it opening in Safari. Can that be changed?

It's not moving. I don't think it's my wifi.

Strange. I'm trying it out in my iPhone 5 and it's working perfect. Maybe a restart of the phone. It could be a problem with the Gyroscope.

Above video is handy. Few little features I wasn't aware of.

Nope, tried everything. Compass/gyroscope are working perfectly in other apps. A search suggests I'm not the only one with this problem. I guess Google still a few bugs to work out.

• Advertisement

Nope, tried everything. Compass/gyroscope are working perfectly in other apps. A search suggests I'm not the only one with this problem. I guess Google still a few bugs to work out.

What model are you trying it on? Perhaps it's limited to the newer iPhone models?

Advertisement