Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Breasts and Other Meat

Options
  • 13-12-2012 4:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Am in the process of revamping my diet for the gym and what not. What I want to know is, does anyone know the cheapest supermarket that sells them in bulk or individually cheap?

Also, I'm living in Tipp so I could probably buy from a wholesaler for cheaper, does anyone know any?

Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

In my own experience you get much cheaper and much better quality meat from the butchers. Dont be afraid to shop around too, I've 3 butchers within a ten minute drive and generally take advantage of whatever the best deals are. I really only use the supermarket for meat as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that I can get better quality meat from the butcher but at what price would you be paying that's my problem. I mostly need it for the protein tbh. Today for instance, I paid 3.25euro for .271kg of chicken breasts. Working out at nearly 25euro per week on just chicken.

Well what I meant was the meat is both better quality and at the same time cheaper. For instance, my local supermarket will do 3 chicken breasts for €5, you might get 6 for €8, where the butchers literally next door sells 5 (free range) for €5.50. It's a no brainer. I clearly remember when I'd first moved out always assuming the supermarket would be cheaper than the experts, turns out I was very wrong. I'd say definitely have a look around your local butchers.

Same goes for all meats. Another butcher near me sells the nicest streaky rashers ever, and it's €3.50 for 20, while a pack of Dennys (for example) will generally contain 12 and cost about €4

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Your problem seems to be your limiting your protein intake to meats which are expensive, haddock for example is dirt cheap (I get a huge fillet for €1 in my local fishmonger), I'm sure there's other fish with similar nutritional values that's as cheap too.

Eggs - fairly cheap.
    Beans, nuts, and seeds - dirt cheap.
    Cottage cheese - cheap.

Thanks, that's very helpful. You're right about it being a total no brainer at that price. Hopefully the butcher can help me out and be less than the supermarket.

Do you think its a case of shopping around from butcher to butcher or do you think that all butchers prices would be the same or there abouts?

• Advertisement

Your problem seems to be your limiting your protein intake to meats which are expensive, haddock for example is dirt cheap (I get a huge fillet for €1 in my local fishmonger), I'm sure there's other fish with similar nutritional values that's as cheap too.

Eggs - fairly cheap.
    Beans, nuts, and seeds - dirt cheap.
    Cottage cheese - cheap.

What does haddock taste like? :P Don't have a fish mongers in Tipp that I know of. Probably because its mainland.

Aware of all the stated. Eat about 3-5eggs per day and same goes with beans, seeds and nuts. Cottage cheese- bought some today actually. Haven't tried it as of yet. Don't know what to expect taste wise though.

I'd say shop around and get a feel yourself. For example, I might go to one for chicken, but a different one for beef, and so on. They're usually pretty good for doing deals too, so it doesn't hurt to keep your eyes on them all.

I know its more convenient to be getting the meat in the supermarket (butchers might be closed, you mightbe getting a few bits in the supermarket anyway and not be arsed heading to the butchers when theres meat right there, etc.), but I try to get to the butchers every time if I can, certainly leads to nicer cheaper meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Clune Fisheries Limited

• Fishmongers
    • Clune, Clonoully, Cashel, Co Tipperary
    Bates of Kilmore Quay

Category: Seafood Markets
    Parnell Street Car Park
    Thurles, Co. Tipperary
    (087) 2314752

I just did a quick google and found these. If you check you might be able to find something closer.

I don't know why people in Ireland don't eat more fish. We have loads of it but seem to export most of it. I am living in Spain now and its normal to eat fish 2-3 times a week at least.

Protein wise fish has more or less the same protein content as steak but much less fat. Also you have the added benefits of Omega 3 which the body cannot produce but is essential. (Quick google will list its importance).

Price wise it really depends on availability, but Pollock, Haddock, Mackerel are always cheap.

If you cant get fresh, you can get it cheap frozen in Lidel or Aldi. If you are using it more for protein content than anything else.

If you limit yourself to Chicken breast and Steak you will notice your shopping budget skyrocket.

Edit -If you can get your hands on some fat free Greek Yogurt its another excellent source. Think they have this in Lidel too (at least they used too).

Cheers for them, I'll have a look into those. Based in Tipp Town so they're a bit of a commute.

You're right about the food sky rocketing. I'll have to sort something out cause if I continue just buying a load of poultry and that I'll be flat broke!

https://www.coachcalorie.com/cheap-sources-of-protein/

Might be a handy read through for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thanks for your reply.

I'm aware that I can get better quality meat from the butcher but at what price would you be paying that's my problem. I mostly need it for the protein tbh. Today for instance, I paid 3.25euro for .271kg of chicken breasts. Working out at nearly 25euro per week on just chicken.

But cheap chicken breasts can be injected with water to bulk them out so the protein content would be lower.

Why chicken breast and not leg, which is cheaper and tastier in my opinion.

You presumably dont care about taste, so how about turkey. I assume the protein content is the same.

In answer to your question about where to buy them cheapest, you need to price check the local butchers and supermarkets every week to see who is offering the best deals that week.

I find Lidl offer good value on reasonable quality chicken products.

But cheap chicken breasts can be injected with water to bulk them out so the protein content would be lower.

Why chicken breast and not leg, which is cheaper and tastier in my opinion.

You presumably dont care about taste, so how about turkey. I assume the protein content is the same.

Chicken Leg and thigh have less protein and more fat than breast. (Generally fattier foods taste better :) )

But you are right about Turkey breast being a good option. Higher protein and less fat than chicken. But price wise I don't think its a cheaper option. (I could be wrong I don't know the current prices back home but its approx the same here).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Well what I meant was the meat is both better quality and at the same time cheaper. For instance, my local supermarket will do 3 chicken breasts for €5, you might get 6 for €8, where the butchers literally next door sells 5 (free range) for €5.50. It's a no brainer. I clearly remember when I'd first moved out always assuming the supermarket would be cheaper than the experts, turns out I was very wrong. I'd say definitely have a look around your local butchers.

Same goes for all meats. Another butcher near me sells the nicest streaky rashers ever, and it's €3.50 for 20, while a pack of Dennys (for example) will generally contain 12 and cost about €4

Do you mind me asking the name of your butcher as 5.50 for5 free range breasts is great value. Pay about 3.80 for two in the local supermarket.

I actually haven't seen turkey breasts in my tesco, they only have chicken, pork and beef. Now then again, I've never asked so they might..

The fish and butcher idea seems to be the best value for me. i do care about taste to an extent that I want to be able to enjoy my meals as well as getting the gains I need. I usually just tend to cut my chicken down the centre, add salt and pepper, parsley and a dab of mustard so I can get my flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

huskerdu wrote: »
    A lot of that is hearsay imo
    But you are right about Turkey breast being a good option. Higher protein and less fat than chicken. But price wise I don't think its a cheaper option. (I could be wrong I don't know the current prices back home but its approx the same here).

I'm pretty sure turkey is lower in protein. (ultimately it depends on the exact piece)
    And if its a bulk diet, eliminating the fat completely is not a good idea.

Mellor I think you're right about both points there to be honest. I do however need to get more food inside me and I do want variety.

What does haddock taste like? :P Don't have a fish mongers in Tipp that I know of. Probably because its mainland.

Aware of all the stated. Eat about 3-5eggs per day and same goes with beans, seeds and nuts. Cottage cheese- bought some today actually. Haven't tried it as of yet. Don't know what to expect taste wise though.

Try it, at €1 a fillet it's not too bad, I generally bake it in some tinfoil, small bit of garlic butter, and a drop of lowfat milk.

Matter of interest, what are you aiming at a day protein intake wise? Chicken breats, 5 eggs, beans, seeds and nuts seems like a fairly large amount of protein.

Try it, at €1 a fillet it's not too bad, I generally bake it in some tinfoil, small bit of garlic butter, and a drop of lowfat milk.

Matter of interest, what are you aiming at a day protein intake wise? Chicken breats, 5 eggs, beans, seeds and nuts seems like a fairly large amount of protein.

Well I'd like to be hitting 200grams per day. And increase that as time goes on.

Well I'd like to be hitting 200grams per day. And increase that as time goes on.

Did you work that out or just a random number?

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Just as a matter of interest, what's a typical days diet for you?

Did you work that out or just a random number?

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein_2.htm

Just as a matter of interest, what's a typical days diet for you?

I'm looking to gain some mass so protein intake has to be high. Next week this will be my average plan;

Breakfast:
    50g oats,
    Scrambled egg with ham and parsley.

Lunch:
    450g chicken, mixed salad

Post workout:
    25g protein
    walnuts/cashews/almonds

Dinner:
    250g chicken w/ garnishes and that.

Meal 5:
    200g pork/beef etc..

Will be eating some yogurt and varying it up as to what meats and fishes too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor I think you're right about both points there to be honest. I do however need to get more food inside me and I do want variety.

I just mean that 200g protein is only 800 calories, that's no where near enough to put on mass so overly lean protein sources aren't actually a good idea on a bulk as you end up further away from a daily calories goal.

Mellor wrote: »
    I just mean that 200g protein is only 800 calories, that's no where near enough to put on mass so overly lean protein sources aren't actually a good idea on a bulk as you end up further away from a daily calories goal.

Yes but protein wise its good for me. I'll be eating other foods too, say almonds. Fist full of those is a good thousand calories alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think the original question asked in this thread has been answered, and any discussion on protein requirements/content in foods should be taken to the Nutrition & Diet forum.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement