Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council flood warning 14th Dec.

Options
  • 13-12-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

A high tide this Friday (14/12/2012) morning at 11 45 am, combined with low atmospheric pressure and a relatively high wind will give rise to high sea levels and possibly large waves. Wave overtopping in parts of Sandymount and Clontarf will probably take place. Dublin City Council's flood defences will be put in place including the flood gates on the River Dodder. Dublin City Council is monitoring the situation closely and will issue another update on Thursday morning.
    Dublin City Council maintains a stock of sandbags at various locations for strategic purposes and will be deployed by Drainage staff, if required.

Makes for a nice walk and photo opportunity. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Feck, I live in Clontarf and have to drive through Sandymount to get to work, thats gonna be a nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Get a sailboard. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

I can see it now, going down the N11 on a sailboard :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

MarkMc wrote: »
    I can see it now, going down the N11 on a sailboard :pac:

N11 to get from Clontarf to Sandymount??

N11 to get from Clontarf to Sandymount??

Nope, I have to drive through sandymount to get to the N11 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I saw the car parks had been closed & flood defences had been put up at the car parks but not on the ends of the roads (like Oct 16th, etc) there doesn't seem to be any hype around as with previous high tide warnings in Sandymount, I've the day off so I'll stroll down & get some pics but I'm not expecting much (famous last words)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

According to breakingnews.ie, water has breached the Clontarf seawall. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/water-breaches-clontarf-seawall-as-high-tide-approaches-577815.html
    Remember the residents rejected the new wall around that way? Egg on their face now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Nothing much happened at the Sandymount end, Clontarf hit looks bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

gurramok wrote: »
    According to breakingnews.ie, water has breached the Clontarf seawall. http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/water-breaches-clontarf-seawall-as-high-tide-approaches-577815.html
    Remember the residents rejected the new wall around that way? Egg on their face now :)

A bit of seawater overtopping the wall (I don't think it's reached any houses or businesses) isn't the end of the world - the eyesore that was proposed would have turned swathes of the promenade into a no-go area.

It's acknowledged that the sea defenses do need to be improved there, but the one that DCC tried to get in (in a most underhand manner) was total overkill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yakuza wrote: »
    A bit of seawater overtopping the wall (I don't think it's reached any houses or businesses) isn't the end of the world - the eyesore that was proposed would have turned swathes of the promenade into a no-go area.

It's acknowledged that the sea defenses do need to be improved there, but the one that DCC tried to get in (in a most underhand manner) was total overkill.

They got off lucky. The danger is still there and with the right conditions, it will flood more severely in the future.

Advertisement