Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-alcohol related date night ideas?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Right, I need some urgent help with some date ideas that don't revolve around the pub/restaurant etc....

Obviously the winter wonderland of the peace park is high up the agenda, presume it would be nice to have a stroll through (weather permitting), maybe get some hot chocolate etc.... Thoughts?

This is more or less a first date, have a few hours to impress... and to do so without the easy option of sitting chatting over a few drinks. Old school stuff here :)

No need for the default "cork on ice" suggestion as that's definitely not a runner. Also needs to be in the City anyway. Appreciate any suggestions....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thetiltmonster

Damn you all... come on!! I need ideas!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Bowling/ping-pong/Pool at the Mardyke?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Pantomime at "The Everyman Palace Theatre" or "The Opera House" - seriously the amount of people I see going to Panto on a date - it's a really good laugh - and an excuse to shout "oh no he isn't" or "behind you".

Judes wrote: »
    Pantomime at "The Everyman Palace Theatre" or "The Opera House" - seriously the amount of people I see going to Panto on a date - it's a really good laugh - and an excuse to shout "oh no he isn't" or "behind you".

This is an idea... had already been reading about the snow white & the 7 zombies one... supposed to be a good laugh. The only thing is it's on in a pub... which I'm supposed to be avoiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ZombieMed

Avoid long shows on a first date - the point is to be talking to each other. 30 minute show would be max to allow you to have something to discuss.

Your first thought sounded great, with the strolling and hot chocolate. Has she any thoughts herself? Any particular interests you have that you'd like to involve her in, or show off on the first date?

• Advertisement

ZombieMed wrote: »
    Avoid long shows on a first date - the point is to be talking to each other. 30 minute show would be max to allow you to have something to discuss.
    This was the other reason I figured it was out for tomorrow night. But with this being a panto.... with adult humour... and in the setting of a pub, you'd probably get away with it.
    Your first thought sounded great, with the strolling and hot chocolate.
    Yes, and that will still happen. We're meeting early, so that will be all done and dusted by 8. Might see if she wants to get a bite to eat somewhere casual... maybe wagamamas or something.... any other places like that around?
    Has she any thoughts herself? Any particular interests you have that you'd like to involve her in, or show off on the first date?
    Unless she wants to see me hammer her on the pool table, watch me play poker or hit the golf course..... then I'm out of ideas. Unfortunately I dont have many hobbies. Maybe I could bring her back and play some COD on the xbox? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Nando's. You really get to know what someone is REALLY like by the way they devour chicken flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

Maybe I could bring her back and play some COD on the xbox? :)

Ha, our local barmaid managed to pull my housemate with this tactic....the jammy git :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

You could do bowling or pool at the Mardyke. It gives you something to do while you talk and can give a cover for any awkward silences.

LenaClaire wrote: »
    You could do bowling or pool at the Mardyke. It gives you something to do while you talk and can give a cover for any awkward silences.

Stop robbing My ideas.. :p

• Advertisement

This is an idea... had already been reading about the snow white & the 7 zombies one... supposed to be a good laugh. The only thing is it's on in a pub... which I'm supposed to be avoiding.

Just because you go into a pub,don't mean you have to drink...;) (Presuming that's why you don't want to go into a pub in the first place)

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Just because you go into a pub,don't mean you have to drink...;) (Presuming that's why you don't want to go into a pub in the first place)

ah I know... although I probably would anyway. But it's also the type of thing you're supposed to avoid on a first date right?

Still might go for it though... havent been to a panto in years!

ah I know... although I probably would anyway. But it's also the type of thing you're supposed to avoid on a first date right?

Still might go for it though... havent been to a panto in years!

Panto??

I was after suggesting the Mardyke.

Either way..Enjoy it,,,and best of luck with the date.

Not sure about the bowling/pool stuff lads. It just feels like too easy an option.... Also feels a bit of a teenie/corny thing to do for a first date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Not sure about the bowling/pool stuff lads. It just feels like too easy an option.... Also feels a bit of a teenie/corny thing to do for a first date.

Admit it, you just don't want to risk losing to a woman :D

kingtut wrote: »
    Admit it, you just don't want to risk losing to a woman :D

I'm pretty sure my god like skills at all things will prevent the above situation ever occurring

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

A first date isn't supposed to be romantic. It's a get to know each other kinda thing...

For the record I used Mardyke pool for first dates a bunch of times, works every time. You always have something to talk about.

A first date isn't supposed to be romantic. It's a get to know each other kinda thing...
    I've seen enough movies to know it's got to be the most romantic event in history :rolleyes:
    For the record I used Mardyke pool for first dates a bunch of times, works every time. You always have something to talk about.

She's a bit competitive though.... she likes to win. I suppose I could play left handed......

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I take pride in the fact that I manage to pull off the cheesy dates (though usually they are followed by alcohol). Depending on the person, I try to do something that they are into but that they would not consider run of the mill. Most of them are daytime things though. They are always a surprise as well, just tell them I am picking them up at such a time. Ones in the past include the aquarium, the museum, horse-riding, mountain climbing, surfing lesson etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I've seen enough movies to know it's got to be the most romantic event in history :rolleyes:

She's a bit competitive though.... she likes to win. I suppose I could play left handed......

Then it's perfect. She could end up really angry at you though...depending on how long you're going for pay up front, otherwise 3 hours could creep up on you if the date is going well...that killed my wallet one date :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh, you could do like the IT crowd and go to the Theatre to see a musical... Though it may not go too well if you go to see "GAY! A Gay Musical"

Davyhal wrote: »
    I take pride in the fact that I manage to pull off the cheesy dates (though usually they are followed by alcohol). Depending on the person, I try to do something that they are into but that they would not consider run of the mill. Most of them are daytime things though. They are always a surprise as well, just tell them I am picking them up at such a time. Ones in the past include the aquarium, the museum, horse-riding, mountain climbing, surfing lesson etc...

You learnt that from hitch ya? :p

Seriously though, nice idea... but it's not daytime , it's night time and in the city! Also, I dont really know that much about her yet, so can't really go down that road.

You learnt that from hitch ya? :p

Seriously though, nice idea... but it's not daytime , it's night time and in the city! Also, I dont really know that much about her yet, so can't really go down that road.

Never actually seen Hitch tbh!! I just remembered in college that one of the girls I was friends with came back from a date to the Aquarium and she was totally swooning over the guy. Before she went on the date, she wasn't too pushed, but she said she'd go anyways. When she came back, you'd swear the sun shone out of his rear-end. Just thought it was a brilliant idea.... A few of the girls said they found it a little odd, but considering their sort of lad was the guy would would buy them the most shots on a night out, I decided that their opinion didn't really matter.

Advertisement