Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hobbit - cinemas can't show it

• 13-12-2012 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Cinemas in ireland can't show it as they haven't been given the digital key.

Went to the Odoen at the point to see it at 11:20, only to be told they can't show it as they still haven't received the unlock key.
    Gutted.

They said no cinema in ireland had received it yet and that they don't know when they will receive it.

Don't know what will happen to people who pre booked.

Very bad customer experience.

Phone and check before you go to the cinema today (couldn't get a phone number for cinewold to try and get to the 11:10 showing).

:-(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,109 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

thayes wrote: »
    Cinemas in ireland can't show it as they haven't been given the digital key.

Went to the Odoen at the point to see it at 11:20, only to be told they can't show it as they still haven't received the unlock key.
    Gutted.

They said no cinema in ireland had received it yet and that they don't know when they will receive it.

Don't know what will happen to people who pre booked.

Very bad customer experience.

Phone and check before you go to the cinema today (couldn't get a phone number for cinewold to try and get to the 11:10 showing).

:-(
    Unfortunate for yourself and others who wanted to go to the early shows, but nothing the cinema can do about, it is out of their hands. Massive f-up by the people who distribute the keys.

I imagine they have the keys now though, I just confirm with management of some cinemas that they just got their keys, so their shows are going ahead as scheduled. unlock is instant once you have the key, so from now there shouldn't be an issue with any of the shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

The digital key has been stolen by the Dark Lord Sauron. A perilous journey awaits anyone who would dare retrieve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Same problem at coolock, but I'm getting to see it for free now so happy days! Once again I'm impressed by the customer service here.

The digital key has been stolen by the Dark Lord Sauron. A perilous journey awaits anyone who would dare retrieve it.

man, that is unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Can't you just use the Eagles?....I thought this wasn't released until the 14th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Meant to be going at 1 to see it! Hopefully its sorted.

Limericks wrote: »
    Meant to be going at 1 to see it! Hopefully its sorted.

I reckon it should be. I know Movies@ have their key, was told they had just got it. I would imagine keys are sent out in batch, so if Movies@ have theirs, I would think everyone else does to. Unlocking is instant as well, so there shouldn't really be a delay from here on in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

If you try and share this thread on FB, De Sousa's Avatar shows up as the preview image....highly appropriate

Official confirmation that Movies@ is good to go: https://twitter.com/moviesatcinemas/status/279197389653413889
    The Hobbit 2D is ready to go for a 1pm start! We also have a 3D showing at 2pm, tickets still available!! Ready, set....

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Can't you just use the Eagles?....I thought this wasn't released until the 14th?

No, you can't use the eagles.
    i'm not going to explain why, you'll just have to accept that you can't use them to get the digital key.
    I would be prepared to let you get the digital key back to the cinema with the eagles once you've retrieved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thayes

Wow, that was good customer service, which you would expect at coolock.

I did expect the manager (I have her name) at the odeon to offer something (there were3 of us), but she offered nothing except sorry hope to have the key later. It's not like the odeon at the point is ever that busy, so if customers are inconvenienced, youd think they would have the cop on to make them want to come back.

Well I'll stick to the Savoy (at least it's Irish owned) and cinewold in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

What a cock up. I kinda feel bad for the cinema staff who are held responsible for such incompetence. Another check against digital projection too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No, you can't use the eagles.
    i'm not going to explain why, you'll just have to accept that you can't use them to get the digital key.
    I would be prepared to let you get the digital key back to the cinema with the eagles once you've retrieved it.

Fine I am in on the condition I don't have to take a gay sidekick.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Fine I am in on the condition I don't have to take a gay sidekick.

I'm afraid that's non-negotiable my friend.

Meet 'Jenkins'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Cineworld in Dublin not having any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

FFS, I'm going to see it later today in an Odeon, it better be sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just back from IMC in Tallaght and they had to cancel the 1.45 48fps 3d showing and the 2d 2.15 showing.

Very annoyed over this, what a monumental cock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Complete disaster, drove from cork to Limerick for the HFR version to be told there was a problem! Got a refund and drove back to cork, waiting for the 3pm showing. Ugh.

On the plus side just won a smurfette toy from the claw machine and it had ten European dollars attached. Bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

EYE Galway running their 3D HFR without any issues. Running with 7.1 sound also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Gotham wrote: »
    FFS, I'm going to see it later today in an Odeon, it better be sorted.
    No problem with the 3D showings, it's the 2D that's fecked, not sure if they got it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Official confirmation that Movies@ is good to go: https://twitter.com/moviesatcinemas/status/279197389653413889
    I just came back from a 12:30 2D showing, first I'm hearing of this problem.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

No problem with the 3D showings, it's the 2D that's fecked, not sure if they got it fixed.

Oooooo well that's convenient :p (although I still maintain it's daft cinemas showing two different versions of a film, they should just choose 3D and then hand out 3D or 2D glasses depending on preference. There should be no surcharge).

they should just choose 3D and then hand out 3D or 2D glasses depending on preference

LOL, 2D glasses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

Gotham wrote: »
    LOL, 2D glasses!

Should have went to Specsavers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope not true, the show I was going to see was the 1.45 48fps 3d version and it was effected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

e_e wrote: »
    Imagine watching a movie from the perspective of the a Gears of War player,
    Now you're thinking with 2D Glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

How apt, a computer generated problem for a computer generated film! Bring back 35mm and real actors playing opposite other real actors instead of this tedious nonsense I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Bring back 35mm
    Well, when the first LOTR film came out, lots of cinemas had been delivered the non-entity that was "Change at Midnight" instead of "The Fellowship of the Ring". :)

Then they werre told to look at what was actually in the Change at Midnight package. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

At this point, it's an exercise in futility wishing the widespread return of 35mm - the cost is too prohibitive compared to digital. There is likely to be a niche (and welcome) resurgence of analogue projection - similar to vinyl's current popularity - but digital ain't going anywhere.

While good digital projection can be a more than servicable substitute for traditional projection - Laurence of Arabia in the IFI recently proved that, to pick just one of many examples - the tech is still undeniably rough, which leads to problems like this. I've heard it happening a lot at festivals particularly. But like the way 35mm projectors were likely to catch fire back in the early days, consider the current flaws growing pains, although we obviously can't forgive a ludicrous misstep such as this.

Advertisement