Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured Cat's Leg

• 13-12-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭

Our own Cat was limping on one paw earlier in the week, I had identified a sore spot on her right front paw as she hissed and squeeled when I touched it.

She seemed to be moving much better by yesterday but this morning she had a reasonable amount fo bloody coming from the spot. It seems to have stopped bleeding but in the absence of one of those head cones I was wondering if anybody any ideas on how to stop her getting at it.

I lobbed on a huge amount of vaseline before I left this morning in the hope she wouldn't be able to lick it all off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

If I were you I would be considering a trip to the vets, If its an open wound it could get infected, especially if she's an outdoor cat.

You could put a small bandage on in the meantime to try and stop her getting at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,429 ✭✭✭✭noodler

If I were you I would be considering a trip to the vets, If its an open wound it could get infected, especially if she's an outdoor cat.

You could put a small bandage on in the meantime to try and stop her getting at it.

Sigh, I was hoping a Vet visit could be avoided but you are probably right.

I think there was commotion otuside last night so I'd say there was an altercation with another Cat so probably best to get it sorted by Vet for fear of infection from a wild feline.

I'll get here bandaged in the meantime in the hope she doesn't manage to chew it off.

Oh I know exactly what you mean! One of my guinea pigs has a bit of a crusty eye at the minute. Thankfully I've managed to treat it with some brolene from the chemist. However if it doesnt clear up it will be a €50 consultation with the vet!

Have you given a good clean with some saline solution? Perhaps ring the vets and get their opinion, maybe if you give it a good clean it will be ok. Just keep an eye out for infection.

I know its diffuclt especially this time of year.

Oh I know exactly what you mean! One of my guinea pigs has a bit of a crusty eye at the minute. Thankfully I've managed to treat it with some brolene from the chemist. However if it doesnt clear up it will be a €50 consultation with the vet!

Have you given a good clean with some saline solution? Perhaps ring the vets and get their opinion, maybe if you give it a good clean it will be ok. Just keep an eye out for infection.

I know its diffuclt especially this time of year.

I had to google saline solution I am afraid. Can I get in a chemist? In work now but I can pick it up on the way home.

I can't say I gave it a very thourough clean as I only realised this morning. It was a struggle getting the vaseline onto her becuase of her struggling and whining (Vaseiline was too cold as well aso it clumped a bit more than usual).

Left her asleep in the house when I left so hopefully she won't make it any worse before I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Please don't attempt to bandage it you'll only end up doing more harm than good.

You don't need to buy saline. Fill a pint glass with warm water and mix in 1 teaspoon of salt. This will give you a 0.9% saline solution.

I would strongly recommend you get a vet to look at it. If it is infected it will only get worse and will cost you more to treat in the long run.

• Advertisement

Irishchick wrote: »
    You don't need to buy saline. Fill a pint glass with warm water and mix in 1 teaspoon of salt. This will give you a 0.9% saline solution.

Was just going to post this.

If you can give it a clean between now and when you can get to a vet, that would be best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Definitely don't be putting vaseline on it - it sounds like an abscessed bite wound and it needs to drain.

Those kind of deep, narrow, penetrating bite wounds are hard to clear of infection without an antibiotic injection, and they are also really painful. They tend to get larger in size as they abscess so what starts out looking insignificant gets bigger very quickly. You also probably won't see the pus in there until the cat is sedated and the vet can express it.

Vet visit, deffo.

Gave it a clean when I got home.

The vaseline seemed to stop the bleeding and serious progress had been made in the healing process.

I sincerely doubt it is a bite, a scratch perhaps.

Will see how she is.

Advertisement