Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to setup Wireless IP Outdoor Camera

Options
  • 13-12-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all after trawling through many sites/forums/blogs and hours of trial and error I still can't manage to setup my recently purchased wireless IP Camera - Yes the camera did come with a CD but it is PC based (typical) and I have an iMac so the exe/setup wont run.

The camera in question is a Wansview NCH532MW wireless IP Outdoor camera and as mentioned I am trying to set it up with my iMac and my router is an Eircom Netopia (silver one)
    So far I have followed a number of "Step-by-Steps" (most seem to be Windows based) but it just doesn't seem to work - I know it is me that is messing up by leaving something out but I was just wondering does anyone have a step by step guide to set up an IP Wireless Camera with an iMac including the porting and so on - the camera does come with its own DDNS which is on the back of the camera so does it already have an IP or am I suppose to assign a new IP? I have downloaded IP Scanner Home App which I think is finding the camera (also my iPhone/router/imac) but when I try that IP (unidentified device) in my browser it comes up as error page where as according to the instructions it should access the camera interface - I do get to a point but don't want to go any further especially with the IP's, router, my machines current network etc in case I mess it up altogether as of yet I have not being able to get anywhere great with this nor have I seen a view from the camera.

I would appreciate it if anybody could shed any light on this and even better if someone has setup an Outdoor Wireless IP camera on iMac/Macbook and can give me the details blow by blow on how to get this working.

Many thanks in advance - A very frustrated novice camera installer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I suppose the first step would be to connect the camera to the router using a cable. Use the ip scanner to determine the IP of the camera.

Once you have that then use your browser of choice and type

http://<ip address determined above> in the address bar and hit enter.

I don't know that specific camera but most should now display a web page where you can set up the cameras wireless network and other functions. Try this and let us know how you get on.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Easiest solution is to borrow a windows machine and install it there.
    Once configured, you'll be able to access it on the mac.

If your wireless network has security enabled ( it SHOULD ), then you shouldn't be able to see an arbitrary wireless device that you haven't configured on it.
    Ie. the wireless camera would not know which wireless network SSID to connect to, nor your wireless network password.

But as mentioned, if you physically plug your wireless camera into your router via a network cable, you should have direct access.

After that, you should be able to see it on your network, and look at the "LAN clients" / "active clients" to see it's IP address.
    Then trying to see if you can access it's web based admin page, eg. http://192.168.1.100

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BluefishJD

Many thanks Zener & Creeping Death unfortunately I have done this as in connected camera to router via cable downloaded IP Scanner and got what I think is the camera IP and typed it into browser with no luck (Just get safari error page) - Creeping death you mention there may be security on router so therefore can't see the Camera but I presume if it is directly plugged into router via cable that it should show up? CAn I go into my router to disable this for the initial setup or is better left as is and as netopia router page has change where can I find this? (Export mode seems to be gone/renamed/moved)

I appreciate the responses but having tried this already it doesn't open up any camera/web page interface and this is just step 3 and I can't get beyond it - I will give the above advice another go this evening with a clearer head (was at it for 4 hrs yesterday only going in circles) and will strive to source an installation guide for this particular camera for mac (I think these are the same as Foscams just European Name) - will also see if I can get my hands on PC to install but anything I have is Mac based as is my work equipment.
    Many thanks and if you've anything else to add as to why this step is not working I'd love to hear it
    Cheers

Have you tried https instead of http ? The camera may also use another port instead of 80. Use the ip of the camera and the network utility in Applications > Utilities and do a port scan of the camera while it's connected via cable. Also try to ping the camera to make sure it's connected and to verify its IP address.

Ken

Thanks no have not tried https so will give that a go and also retry the above description to port scan - I have come across the "ping" thing but not knowing fully what it is but will "ping" it too
    Again many thanks for your input and will give this methods a try this evening
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Just to ask am I suppose to be adding a port number when I type it into my browser? I just thought it was http://(IP Address) or as above try https://(IP Number) should i be adding :XXXX? and if so is this where the port scan comes into play and get it from there - sorry for all the Qs just total novice at this but am determined to get it sorted
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

BluefishJD wrote: »
    I have done this as in connected camera to router via cable downloaded IP Scanner and got what I think is the camera IP and typed it into browser with no luck (Just get safari error page) -

What is the error page?

Is it server not found, or page not found?
    If it's page not found, then the camera is responding.

I did a google search for "Wansview NCH532MW url" and one of the pages said the URL was for "NCH-532MW" was

http://IPADDRESS/tmpfs/auto.jpg

So try adding /tmpfs/auto.jpg to the URL you tried.

On the subject of router security, when you plug the camera directly into the router, none of the wireless security settings apply.
    It's directly on the lan, no problems.

from what i remember Creeping Death the error page said server not found unfortunately not at home to double check but intend on giving it another lash this evening going on all the advice above in the hope that I can sort it and will be back with update - I will also try the extra url info you supplied (/tmpfs/auto.jpg) and see if it helps and yes directly on LAN so therefore like you said there should be no wireless security settings to worry about at this early installation stage - Many thanks and again will take on board all the advice and see if I can get any further with it.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Bluefish, you're most likely missing the post number at the end of the address. The scanning program that came on the disk is ordinarily able to quickly identify the camera address and port but, as you discovered, it tends to only run on Windows. The easiest option might be to get your hands on a windows PC and run the scanner as there's a massive number of ports to run through.

The other alternative might be to use your network scanner, focus on the ip address you know the camera to be and run through all the ports to see what you get a reply on.

yet another whole evening wasted as I am still no further I really don't know at this stage I attempted all above advice numerous times as well as putting in extra url to running a port scan (which showed up as no ports after scanning) upon further searching online I even found a video tutorial for setting up IP wireless camera on mac but the app it says to download "IP Camera Tool" can't even find the camera so can't get past the first step on that either - Reset camera and disconnected it altogether did another IP search and the IP that was coming up as "unidentified hidden device" which i presumed was camera still comes up so that is obviously something else like my iphone or something - I have even connected the camera directly to my imac with an ethernet (camera ethernet port to back of imac) and manually given it an IP address and applied same sub mask but again when i plug that into the address area I get error page (Varys from no server to page not found) so I really dont know at all times I rebooted router to start afresh it has gone beyond me now like said previously I may need to get my hands on a PC/Laptop and try running the CD that came with the camera but wonder is this ok to do as I will revert to mac?

Also the camera did come with its own DDNS on the back which i have also tried to log on to but nothing there either just says account offline - but im sure I have to actually find the cameras IP first and configure it before this DDNS comes into play

Going to try and get a PC Laptop and see if it is any better but again if anyone has anymore advice would greatly appreciate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,278 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

seem to be android and apple iphone apps to search for camera on network and then configure if thats an option
    http://www.wansview.com/UploadFiles/FCK/Download/NCH%20Series%20Mobile%20Software.rar

connecting direct to laptop probably wont work because the camera wont get ip address and usually a crossover cable would be needed for direct connection

what should happen is when you connect to router, the camera gets ip address from routers dhcp and then you use software or web browser to connect, but sound like thats what you've been doing

to add left IP Scanner running for well over 20 mins and it identified 3 device the same devices at the start of opening the window but having left it longer it assigned names to them such as router, Local user and apple device/computer so it is not even seeing the camera despite that it is hooked up to the lan of the router by ethernet and can't be gone wireless as I have to get by this first stage to enter into is web interface and in there make the changes to configure it to wireless so you'd think by being connected to the router by cable it should be there I have found out that wansview and foscam are one in the same so have been looking at their forum/support but like most that was already advised above I just need to find the IP before I can continue any thoughts? Also reset the camera by pressing the button for 30secs whilst still connected to both router and power as instructed and the leds on camera ethernet connectioned went off flashed went off and then came on again with green light flashing getting really frustrated with this now as convinced it should and has to work again will try and get a PC laptop and see if anything new works there but should be able to do this on a mac no?

thanks ghost train for link from quick read it says camera gets IP from router directly (also checked back of camera and it is H series) but i still dont understand where i can go to see its IP so as i can configure on iMac and install camera - i will give the pdf you linked to good read and also get the app mentioned and see if it gets me somewhere but from anything i have read on ip camera it says connect via cable to router first and should find IP with scanner (does mac have builtin IP scanner or is there somewhere in preferences i can see a list?) and once I have IP to go from there once i seen different IP from the regulars showing up but hasn't come up since and presume by resetting camera (which i think I'm doing correctly) that a new IP should be applied? sorry for the rant but it just beyond me and wrecking my head for something that im sure others have bought and installed fine just cant seem to get beyond step 1!! - thanks for response

Hi all yet again I've tried with your advice in my head to install this IP camera (which has its own ddns) but my main issue is I can't find it's ip so therefore can't get past step 1 of the setup which is say I could do now no problem but with no ip scanner app/program being able to actually detect the camera or its ip I can't go any further - as suggested above I went iphone route again downloading an ip scanner and again locates other devices but not the camera (despite being directly connected to the router via the cable provided in box) so I ask does anyone know why I can't see the ip or a way to find it something I read suggested that a firewall may be blocking it but I've already gone to my router (netopia) configuration page on browser and clicked that to low so as to allow other device to be seen again would really appreciate if anybody has any insight as to how I can find/see this cameras ip so I can move on to the next step in "trying" to set up this ip camera thanks in advance

Something which I just thought to add is when I connect camera to router with cable it has both a green and an orange light on the connector which I presume is to let me know its connected to the router the green light does flash every so often but the orange light is constant could this be telling something is up with the route maybe blocking assignment of an ip to the camera?? When I do the 30 sec reset both lights flash go off and come back on again as I'm new to this presume this means the camera has reset to default? Anybody any ideas? Should I get in touch with my service provider should I disable firewall altogether is there a security on the iMac that I am not aware of that should be turned off as it not allowing router to give camera it's ip as always sorry about lengthly post and many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 30,278 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

wouldn't be any harm on turning off firewall for short while

not too familiar with macs, probably firewall you could turn off, nothing to disable on iphone i think

leds sound normal, looking at router here

with an ethernet crossover cable, you could install wireshark on laptop, connect direct to camera, start logging traffic and then turn on the camera. If camera has a fixed IP address it would normally broadcast this and allow you to work out was network settings you need on the laptop to connect and configure laptop. Will only work with direct connection to laptop, not through router.

Have you got another ethernet cable you could try ? Every instruction I read about this camera says to use http://<ip address> followed by ENTER to access the cameras setup.

IP Scanner should see the camera's IP address on your network at the very least.

Where are you based by the way ?

Ken

Edit: Try http://<ip address>:8090 and see if that works.

Mental Weekend getting Christmas ready so didn't have a chance to retry camera or get back on here - as advised Ghost train I will disable Firewall (but I'm nearly sure it is on Low anyway to all such items through but will turn it off altogether) and see how that goes and like you said it is an IP Wireless Camera - with a DDNS Number on the back so I just presumed it would have it's own IP address that I would be able to pick up - however like Zener has said all instructions state to Plug Camera via ethernet provided with camera to router download the "IP Scanner App" (this is on mac a CD comes with camera but for PC only) and this should detect the IP and then go to your browser and type in http://(IP Address) and hit enter and hey presto your camera interface - however as I cant even detect the cameras IP (as previously stated have done the router way and also direct to iMac/computer but the ethernet provided may not be one of these "cross-over" types so might have to get my hands on one of those so as to coneect camera directly - Zener I'm in the West of Ireland with Next Gen Broadband from Eircom through a Netopia router. I appreciate all the help and was kinda hoping that having both the Green and the Orange/Yellow LED active on the Ethernet connection may have raised a flag as to what could be wrong (as in could router be blocking it) and Zener would try your advice of http://(IP Address):8090 but I need to find the actual IP first before I can even get to this next step - I am sure once i get the IP I will be able to move forward but for some reason it just aint showing up - on recommendation I also download an IP detector App on to my iphone which picks ups my phone/router/imac/Wii when i turn it on but no camera!!!! I have reset the camera in accordance with instruction on handbook every time I try something new so presume it goes back to factory settings so as I can start afresh? Again thanks for the advice and as frustrating as this is becoming I really need an answer as to what could be going on as to why I cant even get pass this first (And by all accounts should be the most and relatively easiest part of the camera setup - can't wait for port forwarding that should be even more fun!!) - I wonder is there any point in getting in touch with my service provider would they have some kinda knowledge or block that may be preventing the Camera's IP to be detected or am I way off? Have organised a PC so am going to try putting in the CD that came with the camera and see if I can get any further with that...again many thanks and if anyone has anything further to add I'd much appreciate it.

Advertisement