Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Folio Society

Options
  • 13-12-2012 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭

I seen this mentioned on other threads, what's the story with them?

I was looking at their site and I had a look a the Shakespeare stuff; I have a complete collection of Shakespeare published by the Aredn Shakespeare, which according to my understanding they are one of the best sources academically.

Looking at their collection I was shocked at the price, approx £240+ per play. Additionally from looking at the site I could not see many reasons/benefits to becoming a member.

Anyone here a member? It it worth joining? If so what are the benefits?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Folio Society do very nicely bound and packaged books. If you like the look of them and are willing to pay then the only point of being a member that I could see would be to get some sort of discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Odysseus wrote: »
    I seen this mentioned on other threads, what's the story with them?

I was looking at their site and I had a look a the Shakespeare stuff; I have a complete collection of Shakespeare published by the Aredn Shakespeare, which according to my understanding they are one of the best sources academically.

Looking at their collection I was shocked at the price, approx £240+ per play. Additionally from looking at the site I could not see many reasons/benefits to becoming a member.

Anyone here a member? It it worth joining? If so what are the benefits?

I was give a membership last year by my aunt, who wanted me to get "The Wind in The Willows" and "The Collected works of Beatrix Potter" for my young son. The deal was you could get both for £35 as an introductory offer, and she organised with them to charge her credit card for that.

Unfortunately, the small print in the offer said that you have to buy four books within a year to "activate" your membership and if you don't, they charge you something stupid like £225 for the books I got for £35. I obviously didn't want my aunts card to be charged, so I bought four books myself for about £120. Most expensive present I ever got!

That aside, I have to say the books are gorgeous. Lovely cloth bind, thick paper, the print is as crisp and the illustrations are beautiful. They've a decent selection as well. but they are pricey - you're looking at a minimum of £25, and average of £40 and a maximum of about £800 for collected works of...editions.

Also, they like to send you letters. a LOT of letters. And i mean a lot - a letter every two weeks or so.
    hooplah wrote: »
    the only point of being a member that I could see would be to get some sort of discount.

you can't buy the books without a membership number, it's not about a discount, it's an exclusivity thing.

So, in summary, the folio society give you the opportunity to buy really genuinely beautiful editions of books you already know and love, but they are expensive and spammy.

btw, if anyone wants to get any of the books you see on their site, feel free to send me a PM and you can order them with my membership if you like.

Advertisement