Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider/have you had work covered up?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hey guys, old poster here but needed some advice so signed up again there now.

I have 3 tattoos and there is one I've been unsure of since I got it. I don't mind it and the reasoning behind it means I'll never hate it or anything, but what's annoying me now is that other people have commented on it. See I always figured the work was good (well recommended artist) but that the clash in style preference just meant he misinterpreted what I was looking for. Basically it's a small colour tattoo on my wrist which I wanted to look very feminine and realistic but it didn't come out that way. Now don't get me wrong, it's grand and I'd be happy to look at it for the next 50 odd years as it means alot to me, but the idea of getting it covered has started to come into my head now so I thought I'd suss it out here. The reason it's come to mind again is because when I was getting my most recent tattoo I went to a new artist and one of the lads in the shop made a 'no comment' kinda reference to it. I'll admit I don't have a great eye for what's technically 'good' in terms of artwork but I do know what I like and that's what I go by.

I don't actually know where I'm going with this:o; basically I was okay with not particularly liking the style of the tattoo as I know the guys a great artist and it's personal pref etc., plus the meaning behind it makes me like it anyway. But if I could get it covered with a style I'd prefer then I'm wondering if should I do that? I was always of the opinion my tattoos (more to come!) would be like a kind of map of my life and I thought I'd never get any cover ups. Plus it seems kind of disrepectful to the original artist as I probably didn't explain well enough to him what I was looking for and in fairness we had to change it a bit anyway as what I originally wanted wouldn't work.

Obviously it's my skin, my tattoo etc. but I'd love any input from anyone who's had cover ups and how they turned out/if you're glad you got it done etc.! :) I've seen some great cover ups but as it's such a small area I'm unsure how well it would work.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Plus it seems kind of disrepectful to the original artist

Well I wouldn't worry about this anyway.

It's hard to judge how important the tattoo is to you, and certainly difficult to judge how good/bad the tattoo is without a photo, but if you like the tattoo, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think about it.

However if you're iffy about the aesthetics of the tattoo yourself, well I know if I was getting another tattoo in a place where I'd see it everyday, I know I'd want it to be an awesome tattoo.

If you do decide to get it covered up anyway, be more decided with the final drawing next time, once it's drawn up artists should be happy to edit it for you, they're not gonna force it on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ScriptedAlibi

Well I wouldn't worry about this anyway.

It's hard to judge how important the tattoo is to you, and certainly difficult to judge how good/bad the tattoo is without a photo, but if you like the tattoo, I wouldn't worry too much about what other people think about it.

However if you're iffy about the aesthetics of the tattoo yourself, well I know if I was getting another tattoo in a place where I'd see it everyday, I know I'd want it to be an awesome tattoo.

If you do decide to get it covered up anyway, be more decided with the final drawing next time, once it's drawn up artists should be happy to edit it for you, they're not gonna force it on you.

Thanks for the reply :)

See that's the thing, I think I had it pretty good with the first tattoo I got as Robert in Dark Raptor pretty much shut up the shop for over an hour to get exactly what I had in my head down on paper before he even got started :)

This time I went to another artist and had a specific idea in mind for a while alright, but I decided to get it done pretty spur of the moment so literally had a 10min chat with him. What I had in mind didn't work so we changed it, but the tattoo I was getting still referenced a photo I had brought with me so I wasn't too worried. I wanted a treble clef with a flower on the end initially but it didn't really look right as it wasn't a rose I wanted. So we decided to just go with the photo image of the flowers I brought with me. The best way to describe it is, I wanted it to look like the photo image so that's what I had in my head - but instead it's like someone elses different version of the photo. Does that make sense?! That said, I know it was too small to be overly detailed. If I was getting it again I'd get it alot bigger as I have some script on my inner arm now too and I'm not as cautious about size etc. - I'm more concerned with it looking awesome and it's easy enough to throw on a cardi/suit jacket for work. I'd love to get maybe a rose over it and get the other flowers done again in another placement; Lianne Moule and Remis are on my wishlist right now for a thigh piece once I have the funds (a few months yet!!) so I'd prob get the same person to do the cover up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'd never not get something covered up for fear of upsetting the artist. It's your body, if there's something on it you don't like, it's completely your decision to change/ alter it.

I had a tattoo on my ankle covered up, and am so, so happy I did. I know I go on about it a lot but..... god I love my cover up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ScriptedAlibi

I'd never not get something covered up for fear of upsetting the artist. It's your body, if there's something on it you don't like, it's completely your decision to change/ alter it.

I had a tattoo on my ankle covered up, and am so, so happy I did. I know I go on about it a lot but..... god I love my cover up!!

Ah thanks, sure I guess I'll have a wee think about it! Tbh it's not simply a case of upsetting the artist, I just meant I didn't like saying I didn't like it when someone had put the time and effort into it, I don't think it's a 'bad' tattoo, it's just not what I had in mind - which is probably more my fault than the artists in fairness! I don't hate it by any means and I change my mind about it alot, but I'm just not overly mad about it - if that makes sense! Like I said, there's a meaning behind when and why I got it so that's holding me back from getting it covered up, but if it keeps irking at me I'll check in with an artist and see what my options are!

Advertisement