Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Sci-Fi Film recommendations ?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 3:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

For someone who isn't really into sci-fi but recently saw a really cool film !!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just a few off the top of my head - a mixed bag!
    • Alien(s)
    • Blade Runner
    • Gattaca
    • Serenity
    • Twelve Monkeys
    • Forbidden Planet
    • Minority Report
    • Prometheus

What did you see recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Event Horizon

2001 space odditity

Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Inception
    The Matrix
    Donnie Darko
    District 9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Lizabellem

Dades wrote: »
    Just a few off the top of my head - a mixed bag!

What did you see recently?

Cheers, seen Alien and Blade Runner - will watch Twelve Monkeys over the weekend.

The film I watched recently, you've probably seen it, if you are into Sci-Fi, was one my boss made, very low budget, as he was working full time while he made it. Despite the poor production values it was really cool and based in Dublin. It's called Man Made Men.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1487266/

And it is actually available to watch on line until the 21-12-2012, if you like sci-fi I am sure that you will like it.

http://vimeo.com/55011567

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I saw this recently, not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Resident Evil(the box set) is well worth a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

ShaunC wrote: »
    Resident Evil(the box set) is well worth a viewing.

I honestly can't think of many worse suggestions given the request. Complete and utter crap like those movies being associated with science fiction does a great disservice to the genre and blinds and misleads many newcomers as to what real speculative fiction is all about.

If the OP enjoyed Alien, then there's loads of quality films out there you'll appreciate. Apart from the other suggestions mentioned give Children of Men a whirl for starters. Follow up the already mentioned brilliant Timecrimes with the time travel duo of Primer and Triangle - they're all exceptional and almost guilt-inducingly entertaining to watch. Distopians like Dark City, the Thirteenth Floor and offer another taste of one of the most important tenets of sci-fi. If you're into zanier movies eXistenZ, Brazil and Cypher might be something you'd enjoy.

Both interpretations of Solaris are must sees imo. 95% of Sunshine was amazing which still put it right up there as one of the best sci-fi movies we got in years. Take to the edge of your seat with Pitch Black, The Thing, 28 Days & weeks later which are all fantastic for totally different reasons. Some older movies that were immesurably influential along with Forbidden Planet would be the Day the Earth Stood Still, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Metropolis (But maybe wait a while to try that one).

Slightly more out there but that's where you often stumble across the shiniest hidden gems might be the ones that blue the edges of the genre such as Another Earth, Code 46, La Jetée, Meloncholia, Monsters, Pi, Stalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Dark Star is a forgotten 70s classic
    The original smart bomb gets the better of a bunch of Vietnam war style space hippies.

Goldstein wrote: »
    I honestly can't think of many worse suggestions given the request. Complete and utter crap like those movies being associated with science fiction does a great disservice to the genre and blinds and misleads many newcomers as to what real speculative fiction is all about.

If the OP enjoyed Alien, then there's loads of quality films out there you'll appreciate. Apart from the other suggestions mentioned give Children of Men a whirl for starters. Follow up the already mentioned brilliant Timecrimes with the time travel duo of Primer and Triangle - they're all exceptional and almost guilt-inducingly entertaining to watch. Distopians like Dark City, the Thirteenth Floor and offer another taste of one of the most important tenets of sci-fi. If you're into zanier movies eXistenZ, Brazil and Cypher might be something you'd enjoy.

Both interpretations of Solaris are must sees imo. 95% of Sunshine was amazing which still put it right up there as one of the best sci-fi movies we got in years. Take to the edge of your seat with Pitch Black, The Thing, 28 Days & weeks later which are all fantastic for totally different reasons. Some older movies that were immesurably influential along with Forbidden Planet would be the Day the Earth Stood Still, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Metropolis (But maybe wait a while to try that one).

Slightly more out there but that's where you often stumble across the shiniest hidden gems might be the ones that blue the edges of the genre such as Another Earth, Code 46, La Jetée, Meloncholia, Monsters, Pi, Stalker.

Hey thanks ! Saw Sunshine and I wasn't too mad about it..
    I'm new to this genre

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

avalon is pretty awesome. it's about the players of an illegal VR mmo, some of which are falling into comas after having supposedly discovered a secret level in the game (class real) so the hot polish chick playing the lead takes it upon herself to figure out what's going on and try access class real herself.

• Advertisement

avalon is pretty awesome. it's about the players of an illegal VR mmo, some of which are falling into comas after having supposedly discovered a secret level in the game (class real) so the hot polish chick playing the lead takes it upon herself to figure out what's going on and try access class real herself.

I shall stick it on my list ..

watch the film that kicked started me into this genre it is free on line for 5 more days !
    http://vimeo.com/55011567

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Perhaps too obvious to be even mentioned, but if you haven't seen The Terminator and T2, you really should.
    Dune is a flawed masterpiece.
    Starship Troopers, Predator and Cube are all guilty pleasures.

seen Terminators

hated Cube

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

mmm, the cynic in me thinks this some elaborate ploy to get more viewings for 'your bosses' movie' but as its the festive period ill recommend some recent ones...

the thing (prequel) and chronicle

I wish that was my job !! I don't get paid enough

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

sweetie wrote: »
    mmm, the cynic in me thinks this some elaborate ploy to get more viewings for 'your bosses' movie'

Have to agree, why post two links but not the title or description.

Have to agree, why post two links but not the title or description.

Was only trying to give a recommendation back, as all these people spent time typing and recommending films, and my sci-fi knowledge is lacking, which is apparent.

Here is a brief synopsis - A scientist, sets out to be the first person in history to evolve a synthetic genome into a creature made in man's image. He inhabits a large, sealed chamber with these creatures and aims to prove they are the same as real people with their own societies, artworks and technologies.

Also an old reclusive man hears about the experiment. He believes it will cause the end of the world unless it is immediately stopped.

Three Rabbis, who obey the old man's every command, are sent to Ireland with a mission to stop the experiment. They soon realize that Benjamin is being protected by powerful forces who want to see the experiment completed; an experiment which incredibly holds the answers to life's biggest questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Lizabellem wrote: »
    I wish that was my job !! I don't get paid enough
    Yeah, but it is isn't it? I mean, you work in the company, it's in your interest to promote this film. As your 'boss' was banned for advertising your videos just before you registered, you're banned too now as that's the only reason you registered here.

Oh and for the record, nobody gets paid enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

sweetie wrote: »
    mmm, the cynic in me thinks this some elaborate ploy to get more viewings for 'your bosses' movie' but as its the festive period ill recommend some recent ones...

the thing (prequel) and chronicle

I thought a bit of a shill too.
    Watched the movie though and loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Charle Hinkle

MMAGirl wrote: »
    I thought a bit of a shill too.
    Watched the movie though and loved it.

I'm Liz's friend and she told me about the ban on here - I had to come on and read for myself - she'll be glad you loved the film.
    She was promoting it in real life too.
    Aw well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Primer - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/ Great movie, needs a few re-watches.

Sound of my voice - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748207/ weird one and the start of a trilogy i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

For some Sci-Fi films that go easy on the Sci-Fi I recommend.

Mr Nobody
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Good thread, despite the possible motivation :p

Forbidden Planet without a doubt, keep going back to Chronicles of Riddick & Aeon Flux for guilty pleasure.

And of course the utterly, utterly unbeatable.....

Plan 9 From Outer Space :D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

The man from earth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

TimeCrime http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480669/ . Little spanish number but amazing non the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Watch Sunshine again obv, repeat until either you like it or realise you dislike cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Event Horizon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Pitch Black was a one that slipped by a lot of people, good movie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

How can a thread mention space hippies and not recommend

Silent Running

Great movie
    :-)

Advertisement