Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal deals

Options
  • 13-12-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.

Anybody know of any place near Sligo that you can buy good quality polish coal in bulk say like 1 tonne pallets?

Anyone spot any good deals on coal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I'd say Sligo Fuels down at Deepwater Quay might be the best spot but there is also the Fuel Depot up at Carraroe Retail Park that seem to have good deals on also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Hi guys...don't be fooled by price nor weight.

I shopped around a few places and tried a bag of coal at a time.

By far the best I've found is Black Gem at €14.95 a bag from Sligo Fuels...you get what you pay for, lights easier, burns better, less ash and unuseable cinders, no rogue rocks and stones and pieces of smokeless coal briquettes sneaking in there...

And I tell ya, some places are selling 40kg bags of coal, which are the lightest 40kg bags I've ever had to lift.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

In the market for a bit of coal myself too. Would you say black gem is a clean coal,some people say the arigna stuff is a clean coal.:confused:

In the market for a bit of coal myself too. Would you say black gem is a clean coal,some people say the arigna stuff is a clean coal.:confused:

Not exactly sure how to gauge that one, is that with the amount of chimney soot and in room? I haven't noticed an awful lot of soot.

Or maybe do they mean quality of coal, as in mixed with other rubbish?

For sure some of the other cheaper coals fired out pieces into the room, and left a white slatey type ash in the hearth, which was more like stone than coal.

Never had a problem like that with Black Gem.

(I've never tried Arigna coal, not that I'm aware of anyways...where is it on sale?).

Yeah chimney soot.I do use polish but can be dirty.Gonna try black gem see what thats like.Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I've used Black Gem before and I'm back using it again. It is very good coal.
    I was using Doubles from Petstop but the last two bags I bought the coal was awful stuff. No heat and loads of ash. For an extra €2 the Black Gem is well worth it but they don't give any discounts if you buy in bulk at Sligo Fuels.

Connacht gold do the arigna coal

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

And what about all that smoke and CO2 that goes up the leak in your house that you call a chimney?

Have a look at this image >> [LINK] to remind yourselves how small and vulnerable is our planets air supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

And what about all that smoke and CO2 that goes up the leak in your house that you call a chimney?

Have a look at this image >> [LINK] to remind yourselves how small and vulnerable is our planets air supply.
    Ah thanks for that.
    Think I'll now freeze to death to do me bit to save the planet :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Price wise I'd go for Polish doubles in Connacht Gold, €12.95 per bag... buy ten and you get one free ( they have a loyalty card that is marked everytime you buy the coal bag)

As to problem of ashes, its coal, it burns, it causes ashes, deal with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Kettleson wrote: »
    Hi guys...don't be fooled by price nor weight.

I shopped around a few places and tried a bag of coal at a time.

By far the best I've found is Black Gem at €14.95 a bag from Sligo Fuels...you get what you pay for, lights easier, burns better, less ash and unuseable cinders, no rogue rocks and stones and pieces of smokeless coal briquettes sneaking in there...

And I tell ya, some places are selling 40kg bags of coal, which are the lightest 40kg bags I've ever had to lift.:rolleyes:

Damn you to hell Kettleson!!!! I'm sitting here beside my fire after buying a bag of Gem Coal on your recommendation and I can say it lights easy and burns too hot....... which is good (calm down all, I am complimenting Mr K as I would also recommend Black Gem)

Plazaman wrote: »
    Damn you to hell Kettleson!!!! I'm sitting here beside my fire after buying a bag of Gem Coal on your recommendation and I can say it lights easy and burns too hot....... which is good (calm down all, I am complimenting Mr K as I would also recommend Black Gem)

LOL! hahahaha! "Chestnuts roasting by an open fire"...

Nice one Mr P! Merry Christmas! :D

@Plazaman...you might want to try a bag of Colombian from the retail park...a great burning experience...burns to virtually nothing...pricey but well worth it..

@ sligo camper ..."As to problem of ashes, its coal, it burns, it causes ashes, deal with it..."

varying quality of coal leave varying quantities of unburnable crap in the hearth or haven't u yet found that one out? "Economy" brands being more stone and slate than pure coal..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Kettleson

No I have not found that as i buy what it says in the tin or in this case... bag.....

I buy coal not stone, but thanks for your observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I recently bought a bag of ‘Calco’ in Sligo Fuels @ €17.50 a bag, a bit pricey but the heat from it is fantastic, however you would need to start your fire with kindling as it does not light that great with lighters, if you have a back boiler I would seriously recommend Calco, no flames and little or no ash in the morning.

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    I recently bought a bag of ‘Calco’ in Sligo Fuels @ €17.50 a bag, a bit pricey but the heat from it is fantastic, however you would need to start your fire with kindling as it does not light that great with lighters, if you have a back boiler I would seriously recommend Calco, no flames and little or no ash in the morning.

Cheers Ham Sambo, I'll be treating myself to a bag of that at the weekend.

Would be a great spin off to Come Dine With Me, bring yer mates round beers, fine wines and a great bag of coal : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

That time of year again. Any new deals going?

got a couple of bags of 'economy coal' from pet stop but its proving a false economy. Pure ****e.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    That time of year again. Any new deals going?

got a couple of bags of 'economy coal' from pet stop but its proving a false economy. Pure ****e.

I've been using Amber Flame from pet stop. It's 12.50 for a 40KG bag.
    Now up to yesterday I found it great for an open fire with back boiler but the bag I got yesterday is terrible. No real heat from it. Could just be a bad bag of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I always stick to Connaught Gold because you'll always get good quality fuel from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Sligo fuels doing a deal at the moment.....10 bags of black diamond for €100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Is it any use? Only heat in the house is off the back boiler so need decent stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Is it any use? Only heat in the house is off the back boiler so need decent stuff.

don't burn coal myself, so don't have first hand exp but I got twenty bags for two of my neighbours who are heating off backboilers and they seem to be happy enough with the performance.

rhonin wrote: »
    I've been using Amber Flame from pet stop. It's 12.50 for a 40KG bag.
    Now up to yesterday I found it great for an open fire with back boiler but the bag I got yesterday is terrible. No real heat from it. Could just be a bad bag of it.

I think Spar Shop in Strandhill have started selling Amber Flame. 2 bags, €25. Did you try another bag? If so, was it any better?

Kettleson wrote: »
    I think Spar Shop in Strandhill have started selling Amber Flame. 2 bags, €25. Did you try another bag? If so, was it any better?

I didn't to be honest. I'm using the Polish doubles from Petstop and find them very good.

Advertisement