Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RyanAir catching crap again

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Profit from other's misfortune? Care to explain?

You seem to have a limited definition of the word "airline", where it must include being bathed in perfume and served the finest meat from one of the legs of the Lamb of God.

They give people cheap prices and the people obey their T&Cs, everyone is happy. But if they don't want to do that, by all means fly with someone else and don't complain. They offer a cheap flight from A to B for people who just want to get from A to B and can print their own boarding pass, carry the right size bag etc. rather than having everything done for you. I've done this in the past and found no problem with Ryanair.

I can complain if I want... where I see a **** airline and a **** company whose business model is designed to extract as much cash as possible from someone in a vulnerable position who has made a mistake then I'm going to call it as I see it.

Prices and fares are full of hidden charges... extra costs for more bags but no extra weight... extortionate fees to use your debit or credit card and the cost added after you pay and not before, huge fees for extra weight and very little flexibility, incentives for staff to catch as many people as possible with excess weight in their carry ons or carry ons that are slightly too large (people actually measuring bags sizes with a tape recently ffs), high fees to change a flight, impossible to try and speak to someone over the phone who is helpful, high cost help lines, miserable staff who dont smile, ridiculous fees for forgetting a boarding pass, no flexibility if you happen to be late getting to the check in desk and the flight isnt even boarding.. instead pay full whack for a new flight for no other reason than just so they can screw you. The list goes on and on... they are a despicable company. If you happen to do everything by the book and never get delayed on the way to the airport then you can get a cheap flight... but its still a flight staffed by sour people where you don't get so much as a soft drink and where you are expected to pay extra just to queue in a fast line. And for some reason queuing turns passengers into ignorant animals who try and climb over each other to get on the plan first so they can sit beside their friend or family member.

If you like them and think they are best thing since sliced bread then thats your prerogative but some of us would rather give our money (even if its a little extra) to an airline that treats its customers with respect. And yes I may have a limited definition of what an airline is but I refuse to class O'Leary's sorry excuse for a transport company as an airline... cattle are treated better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Playboy wrote: »
    Ryanair are a scummy airline. Their rules are designed to catch people and take advantage of them when they have no other choice. They actively try to rip you off to make money. 90% of Ryanair employees I have encountered have been miserable people with a bad attitude.. who can blame them though when they work for such a **** company. The make the whole experience of travelling anywhere a right pain in the arse and one that is not looked forward to. I avoid them whenever I can and happily pay the extra money to fly with a proper airline but as they are so prevalent in Ireland sometimes they are unavoidable.
    I can complain if I want... where I see a **** airline and a **** company whose business model is designed to extract as much cash as possible from someone in a vulnerable position who has made a mistake then I'm going to call it as I see it.

Prices and fares are full of hidden charges... extra costs for more bags but no extra weight... extortionate fees to use your debit or credit card and the cost added after you pay and not before, huge fees for extra weight and very little flexibility, incentives for staff to catch as many people as possible with excess weight in their carry ons or carry ons that are slightly too large (people actually measuring bags sizes with a tape recently ffs), high fees to change a flight, impossible to try and speak to someone over the phone who is helpful, high cost help lines, miserable staff who dont smile, ridiculous fees for forgetting a boarding pass, no flexibility if you happen to be late getting to the check in desk and the flight isnt even boarding.. instead pay full whack for a new flight for no other reason than just so they can screw you. The list goes on and on... they are a despicable company. If you happen to do everything by the book and never get delayed on the way to the airport then you can get a cheap flight... but its still a flight staffed by sour people where you don't get so much as a soft drink and where you are expected to pay extra just to queue in a fast line. And for some reason queuing turns passengers into ignorant animals who try and climb over each other to get on the plan first so they can sit beside their friend or family member.

If you like them and think they are best thing since sliced bread then thats your prerogative but some of us would rather give our money (even if its a little extra) to an airline that treats its customers with respect. And yes I may have a limited definition of what an airline is but I refuse to class O'Leary's sorry excuse for a transport company as an airline... cattle are treated better

This is bollocks. You can obviously read if you can make the booking. Any charges are laid out before you enter your details. The rules of the airline are also freely available. If a person can read and retain some simple information, then everything moves along fine and quick.
    Problems arise when people don't bother reading anything, show up thinking they can do whatever they want within this service, and when they are pulled up on it, they cry the kind of shite above: "No respect for paying customers"; "Trying to 'catch us out' to make more money"; and further drivel.

Read three lines of information with your booking for christ's sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

extra costs for more bags but no extra weight.
    That's Aer Lingus who do that. I really thought it was a wind up when I first saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Lol. I have never seen people panic on boarding Ryanair planes. Nor do I notice Ryanair staff to be more or less friendly than anywhere else. As for the rest of the rant - its hardly likely all of that has happened to you do you are just swallowing the propaganda.

I used to take them for flights from the UK when i lived there. Never a bother. Aer lingus took longer and had a worse plane. There is no real difference between any of these airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Why are they complaining about the amount of wheelchair passengers alowed on board? That's nothing to do with Ryanair that's to do with the saftey cert of the Boeing aircraft. Even passenger ferrys now are limited to the amount of wheelchair passengers they can take. In an emergency situation somebody has to get the disabled passengers off. I'm suprised a 737 can actually allow as many as 4 wheelchair passengers

Sinfonia wrote: »

This is bollocks. You can obviously read if you can make the booking. Any charges are laid out before you enter your details. The rules of the airline are also freely available. If a person can read and retain some simple information, then everything moves along fine and quick.
    Problems arise when people don't bother reading anything, show up thinking they can do whatever they want within this service, and when they are pulled up on it, they cry the kind of sh[SIZE="2"]i[/SIZE]te above: "No respect for paying customers"; "Trying to 'catch us out' to make more money"; and further drivel.

Read three lines of information with your booking for christ's sake.

It's not the existence of a rule I have an issue with the but the idea behind the rule. Rules are not all as good as each other and Ryanairs 'rules' and terms are designed to extract as much money as possible from people who haven't read them. Most people who fly with Ryanair get burned a couple of times before they learned the 'rules'

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    That's Aer Lingus who do that. I really thought it was a wind up when I first saw it.

Ryanair do that too.. Believe me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Wompa1 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1212/families-of-ill-children-forced-to-repack-luggage.html

What do people reckon? Rules are Rules in my opinion. I don't think it's news worthy but apparently RTE do. Does RTE have something against Ryanair?

State company showing bias against a private company repeatedly attacked by the state?

Never.

Lol. I have never seen people panic on boarding Ryanair planes. Nor do I notice Ryanair staff to be more or less friendly than anywhere else. As for the rest of the rant - its hardly likely all of that has happened to you do you are just swallowing the propaganda.

I used to take them for flights from the UK when i lived there. Never a bother. Aer lingus took longer and had a worse plane. There is no real difference between any of these airlines.

I never used the word panic. People get agitated and pushy and start queuing hours in advance just so that can sit beside their companion. Why not just provided a service so people can book a seat? I'm not buying any propaganda.... I have lived abroad for many years and have had to fly Ryanair more than i would like so I have encountered nearly all of the problems I have discussed at some point .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Why not just provided a service so people can book a seat?

You can pay for priority boarding, get on plane first and sit wherever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Love Ryanair, people cant complain when they dont follow rules.

Without Ryanair, id probably have never left the country side to a holiday to Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They weren't forced to do anything, they could have just checked in their bag and paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As someone unfortunate enough to have been in a very similar situation to this family myself, on a Make A Wish trip, I have to say I have no problem with Ryanair. Having flown with them in the past, I know what they are like when it comes to luggage allowances. That's why at the time we flew Aer Arann. I wouldn't put my child through that.

People want Ireland to be a country where everyone follows the rules and politicians, bankers etc are honest. Well you can't have it both ways - at least with Ryanair what you see is what you get, and they pay their taxes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

You just sound like someone who refused to read their terms and conditions and got burned. Get over it.

I was caught out by them on one or two things, but I fly frequently so I've saved more vs. other airlines than I've had to pay on those few occasions by using them.

I'm only on their plane for an hour or two at a time, so I have no problem with saving what is usually €50+ by adhering to some stricter rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Ryan Air, not known for giving a sh*t about complainants, have apologised and will ensure this won't happen on the return flight. Surely they realised that they had crossed a line?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ryanair-backs-down-over-sick-childrens-flight-ordeal-3325733.html

We are not talking about people with disability here, but about children who are dying and their parents. Can you even try to put yourselves into their shoes? Can you imagine the stress they live with? It's hard enough to travel with kids in perfect health. I don't think their luggages were overweight by shades and clothes. The bulk of their bags would have been medications and medical items that are especially bulky.

Seriously, do you really think that parents who don't even know whether their kids will survive another Christmas have Ryan Air's 'very well known checked in baggage policy" in mind?

BizzyC wrote: »
    You just sound like someone who refused to read their terms and conditions and got burned. Get over it.

I was caught out by them on one or two things, but I fly frequently so I've saved more vs. other airlines than I've had to pay on those few occasions by using them.

I'm only on their plane for an hour or two at a time, so I have no problem with saving what is usually €50+ by adhering to some stricter rules.

I didn't refuse to read their T&C's... No one reads all the small print. Do you read through every I-tunes agreement you sign up to? There was a minimum expectation of service on airlines till O'Leary came along.. now flying has turned into a horrible experience albeit a bit cheaper if you manage to avoid the many traps they set to screw you for some more money. Id rather pay more up front, be treated like a human being and deal with sensible and flexible policies which don't try and rip you off.. that's why I dont fly them anymore. I'll still call them **** though because they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ryanair are the best thing to happen to airlines in years. People take cheap travel for granted. Everyone I know go on weekend city breaks, before only the rich would do that. Anyone ever get the bus to London because flights were £300? Now if you pay more than €70 you feel it's expensive.
    As for "profiting on peoples misfortune", try booking a last minute flight from everyones favourite airline air lingus to get to a funeral or a family emergency. See how compassionate they are. You might be dissapointed.
    I never used the word panic. People get agitated and pushy and start queuing hours in advance just so that can sit beside their companion. Why not just provided a service so people can book a seat? I'm not buying any propaganda.... I have lived abroad for many years and have had to fly Ryanair more than i would like so I have encountered nearly all of the problems I have discussed at some point .
    You can book a seat on ryanair. I do it all the time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Two points.

1. Ryanair do not force anyone to use their services.

2. The people who packed these bags are fucking dopes and inconvenienced those kids.

This needs to be repeated. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Did it even occur to people that the kids were flying with Ryanair because the organisation that paid for the trip has very low funds? Did it ever occur that the '****ing dopes' were distressed parents? FFS, I hope you never find yourself in the position of having a terminally ill child

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

It's not the existence of a rule I have an issue with the but the idea behind the rule. Rules are not all as good as each other and Ryanairs 'rules' and terms are designed to extract as much money as possible from people who haven't read them. Most people who fly with Ryanair get burned a couple of times before they learned the 'rules'

Personally I think that's great. It's the muppets who don't read the rules who subsidise my cheap flights.

London to Belfast on the 30th Dec. £25 all in and a reserved seat, thankyou very much!

steve9859 wrote: »
    Personally I think that's great. It's the muppets who don't read the rules who subsidise my cheap flights.

London to Belfast on the 30th Dec. £25 all in and a reserved seat, thankyou very much!

Maybe your the muppet... Isn't it sad that you need to take a cheap flight at other peoples expense? Wouldn't it be nice if you could afford to fly with another airline where noone gets shat on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A lot of the people whinging on here have a very "Irish" attitude towards rules. I used to be the same, but then I woke up. Rules are rules. They are not guidelines, they are not suggestions, they are rules.

It was the same when I used to work in the phone banking section of a bank. Mothers ringing up looking for information on their 30 yr old sons a/cs because he was busy, then getting abusive and telling me how I ruined the country.

People need to wake up and realise this is the real world, Ireland isn't a parochial backwater anymore and a nod and a wink doesn't work anymore. Rules are rules. Get used to it.

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Did it even occur to people that the kids were flying with Ryanair because the organisation that paid for the trip has very low funds? Did it ever occur that the '****ing dopes' were distressed parents? FFS, I hope you never find yourself in the position of having a terminally ill child

Ryanair probably didn't know anything about the situation. And all they did was allow the families to repack.

Which means you kept flying with them? Ryanair do allow some pre-booked seats these days but most short haul airlines have done away with them. But buy priority and you will most likely get on in time to sit where you want.

If you kept getting it wrong with Ryanair you were chancing your arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Nanazolie wrote: »

Of course.

But the "we're special and the rules don't apply to us" mindset is rife all over this country. It's half the reason the country is in bits.

Ryanair don't pander to this mindset. Fair enough in my book.

If you don't like it, don't fly with them.

If someone bought you the flight, read their terms on baggage.

EVERYONE who has access to the irish media knows they're renound for charging on overweight baggage. The staff were doing the parents a favour in this case.

• Advertisement

Maybe your the muppet... Isn't it sad that you need to take a cheap flight at other peoples expense? Wouldn't it be nice if you could afford to fly with another airline where noone gets shat on?

But you don't get shat on if you read the rules :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just a group of people who are rabbling. Their cases were overweight, deal with it like everyone else does. Hate people looking for special attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

I dont understand this. As mentioned before if you follow the rules you dont get shat on - its your own fault. Ireland is a country of chancers, I remember when I flew to New York with my parents they took one suitcase between the 2 of them. And like this situation they were told it was too heavy and they could repack using other bags or pay ridiculous fees. This was back in 2000 so before all of this bad press. Was it inconvenient - yes. But it was my parents fault as they knew what they were allowed and went over it. There are reasons for this, as the bags have to be a certain weight each for the baggage handlers to do their job properly - its in place for a good reason.

This happens with all airlines, just people shout loudest when its ryanair. No matter who i was flying with I check my allowances and dont go over. Always at the airport in plenty of time and know what I can and cant bring through security.

I've never understood the attitude of purposely not paying attention to things like that and just hoping everything will be fine. An honest genuine mistake is one thing, and in this case they allowed the parents to rectify it instead of automatically charging them. It is a little inconvenient but hardly the end of the world. But not bothering to check with the mindset 'a sure whats the worst than can happen' is what lands people in these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I believe it is permissible to carry essential medications/devices in a separate bag and in addition to the carry on. I wonder if this might have helped the situation?

I presume they would not expect the original weight allowance to be adhered to with the two bags? It is unreasonable to expect ill people not to have their meds easily to hand and this might include an asthma nebuliser.

I am old enough to remember the alternative. In America in particular the rule was you checked it if you couldn't fit it in the overhead. No measuring beforehand. This delayed every single flight as somebody would bring on a piece of luggage which would barely fit in the door of the plane, try it on, get told to check it, meaning he went back to the gate and the luggage had to be driven back to the hold. That and people with normal sized luggage who couldn't put it overhead as all spaces were taken. delays were common.

Slightly off topic as we are talking here about checking in luggage - which has always been subject to over-weight penalties.

• Advertisement

But you don't get shat on if you read the rules :rolleyes:
    I dont understand this. As mentioned before if you follow the rules you dont get shat on - its your own fault. Ireland is a country of chancers, I remember when I flew to New York with my parents they took one suitcase between the 2 of them. And like this situation they were told it was too heavy and they could repack using other bags or pay ridiculous fees. This was back in 2000 so before all of this bad press. Was it inconvenient - yes. But it was my parents fault as they knew what they were allowed and went over it. There are reasons for this, as the bags have to be a certain weight each for the baggage handlers to do their job properly - its in place for a good reason.

This happens with all airlines, just people shout loudest when its ryanair. No matter who i was flying with I check my allowances and dont go over. Always at the airport in plenty of time and know what I can and cant bring through security.

I've never understood the attitude of purposely not paying attention to things like that and just hoping everything will be fine. An honest genuine mistake is one thing, and in this case they allowed the parents to rectify it instead of automatically charging them. It is a little inconvenient but hardly the end of the world. But not bothering to check with the mindset 'a sure whats the worst than can happen' is what lands people in these situations.

Michael O'Leary is responsible for a company where someone has to get shat in order for the flights to stay cheap. That is a **** business model imo and good luck to you if you want to defend it but Ryanair are no better than wonga and those pay day loan companies who profit out of peoples circumstances.

Someone getting shat on shouldnt factor into the calculation for the price of your fare. If no one got shat then Ryanair would probably go out of business.. doesnt say a lot for the company or its ethics does it?

An its got nothing to do with Irish people being chancers or wherever you got that idiotic notion out of. Speak to anyone across Europe who has used their service and they will have had the same issues as any Irish person and will think Ryanair are just as ****. Many on here only seem to be defending them because they are an Irish company... I'm double critical of them because of that. Whether we like it or not Ryanair associates itself with being Irish so its customers across Europe will associate Irish people with Ryanair .. miserable, cheap and a bunch of con artists trying to take every penny they can off of you... its not an image of ireland that we want to accompany the standard drunken thug stereotype that we already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If people cannot read the terms and conditions before booking that is their problem and not mine.

It is these morons in a hurry that keep my fare low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Jesus you must have a hard life if you are grateful for that. Can they even stop you if they wanted to?

No I just don't like paying fines. They didn't have to give me a chance to avoid doing so but they did. So yes, I was grateful for them being sound about it. It was my fault for not following the rules at the end of the day.

Michael O'Leary is responsible for a company where someone has to get shat in order for the flights to stay cheap. That is a **** business model imo and good luck to you if you want to defend it but Ryanair are no better than wonga and those pay day loan companies who profit out of peoples circumstances.

Someone getting shat on shouldnt factor into the calculation for the price of your fare. If no one got shat then Ryanair would probably go out of business.. doesnt say a lot for the company or its ethics does it?

An its got nothing to do with Irish people being chancers or wherever you got that idiotic notion out of. Speak to anyone across Europe who has used their service and they will have had the same issues as any Irish person and will think Ryanair are just as ****. Many on here only seem to be defending them because they are an Irish company... I'm double critical of them because of that. Whether we like it or not Ryanair associates itself with being Irish so its customers across Europe will associate Irish people with Ryanair .. miserable, cheap and a bunch of con artists trying to take every penny they can off of you... its not an image of ireland that we want to accompany the standard drunken thug stereotype that we already have.

I've never paid them an extra penny over the agreed online price. Neither have my parents, nor anyone I know. So saying "most" people are affected is incorrect . Their model is full aeroplanes at cheap price not half full aeroplanes at extortionate price, as used to be the case. With fuller airplanes you need to restrict weight more stringently.

Ive never had to pay a penny extra on a ryanair flight - the staff have never been rude or unwelcoming. They offer less in terms of as they charge less but what do you expect? If you want extras you pay for them. Nobody needs to get shat on - people who flaunt the rules put themselves in that situation. Ryanair just profit from peoples absolute disregard for their terms and conditions. And why shouldnt they? Why do you expect special treatment?

I have flown the budget airlines in australia and new zealand and they are no different at all from Ryanair. They tell you what you need to do and if you dont do it you get charged for it. No assigned seating unless you pay extra. And to be honest when I was travelling i flew a lot of international flights with assigned seating and there was still the same mad rush to get on the plane first - its peoples nature.

Ryanair hvae done a great job of bringing down the price of air travel. I have never seen the staff be anything but professional and doing what they need and most of the "shocking" stories about them I read online in papers are complete overreaction from those expecting something for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Its not like it's a very strange rule, everyone knows there is an allowence for luggage.

Ryanair just profit from peoples absolute disregard for their terms and conditions. And why shouldnt they? Why do you expect special treatment?

and herein lies the issue.. why should they profit? Why cant they charge a fair price?

Your experience with Ryainair has been different to 99% of people I have spoke to who use them... no one likes to use them but begrudgingly do (especially when flying to ireland as they are so prevalent

and herein lies the issue.. why should they profit? Why cant they charge a fair price?

Your experience with Ryainair has been different to 99% of people I have spoke to who use them... no one likes to use them but begrudgingly do (especially when flying to ireland as they are so prevalent

They do charge a fair price, for those who can stick to their terms and conditions. They lay out the rules and its up to you if you want to follow them. If they had to charge to allow for all the people that flout the rules then I would be paying much higher prices unfairly. Why should they not profit - they are a business, thats what they need to do.

If i go into a shop to a buy 2 bars of chocolate I cant just expect to get something for free because I am the customer and I am always right.

My experience is the same as 99% of the people I know. The only people I know who have issues with them are the people who always expect something for nothing. Nobody ever has to fly with Ryanair - there is always another (usually more exspensive) option. So if you dont like them then don't fly with them.

Absolute nonsense....what on earth have people's circumstances got to do with whether they can read the Ryanair terms?!

(terms which bombard you when you book, then again when you check in, and a couple of emails thrown in just in case you have missed them!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I am once again forever thankful that in over 30 years of air travel and hundreds of flights, I have used Ryanair 6 times in that time. They don't provide the best Value For Money option on routes that I use.

• Advertisement

They do charge a fair price, for those who can stick to their terms and conditions. They lay out the rules and its up to you if you want to follow them. If they had to charge to allow for all the people that flout the rules then I would be paying much higher prices unfairly. Why should they not profit - they are a business, thats what they need to do.

If i go into a shop to a buy 2 bars of chocolate I cant just expect to get something for free because I am the customer and I am always right.

My experience is the same as 99% of the people I know. The only people I know who have issues with them are the people who always expect something for nothing. Nobody ever has to fly with Ryanair - there is always another (usually more exspensive) option. So if you dont like them then don't fly with them.

You are missing the point... Why cant they charge a fair price for people who do break the rules? Why does a a forgotten boarding pass have to be so expensive to replace? There business model is designed with trying to extract as much money as possible out of people who make mistakes so they can advertise a cheaper fare. If everybody stopped making mistakes they would go out of business. I think thats an unethical business model.

I have already said multiple times that I dont fly with them anymore.. I'm happy to pay extra for a better experience.

And can you answer me why Ryanair have signs at their desks telling people they wont tolerate abusive behaviour from customers? IF it was such a wonderful airline then why are they the only airline I have come across that have signs like these... there must be quite a number of people feeling mighty pissed off with them in order for them to splash the cash on a sign :rolleyes:

Your chocolate analogy make no sense by the way. If I went to a shop to buy a bar of chocolate and was given a receipt for more than I was told the chocolate cost then that might make some sense in relation to Ryanair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Gosh, Playboy,
    So he is a muppet because he has less money to spend than you have? or because he preferes to save money on his flights, and perhaps have a little more to spend on something else? Becoming pretty obvious that you have a personal agenda against Ryanair/Micahel O leary, or are just trolling. Iver in Cavan

Absolute nonsense....what on earth have people's circumstances got to do with whether they can read the Ryanair terms?!

(terms which bombard you when you book, then again when you check in, and a couple of emails thrown in just in case you have missed them!!)

They overcharge you when you have basically no other choice but to pay because you need to travel. Given that people fly Ryanair because its cheap it is safe to assume that many of the passengers cannot readily afford to pay high penalty charges. Imo that is profiting from people in a difficult situation who cant really afford it... no better than wonga.

Gosh, Playboy,
    So he is a muppet because he has less money to spend than you have? or because he preferes to save money on his flights, and perhaps have a little more to spend on something else? Becoming pretty obvious that you have a personal agenda against Ryanair/Micahel O leary, or are just trolling. Iver in Cavan

lol wtf? Its nothing to do with the money I have to spend. He called people who pay penalty charges to keep his fare down muppets.. and then you decide mine is the post that is harsh?

I said thats its a sad thing that he needs someone to get shat on so he can fly... I think iots unethical that anyone should need to get shat on in order for someone else to fly.

I do have an agenda against Ryanair.. I think they are a right shower of ***** and O'Leary is a wanker. Am I not entitled to opinion that I can justify without been called a troll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

YThere business model is designed with trying to extract as much money as possible out of people who make mistakes so they can advertise a cheaper fare. If everybody stopped making mistakes they would go out of business. I think thats an unethical business model

Actually, you're wrong. Their business is to get flights turning around as quickly as possible so they can carry as many passengers as the can in any given day.

That is why you can see the plane emptying as you stand waiting to get on it. That is why there is online check in and you pre-print your boarding pass and why they try to discourage checked in baggage and over weight baggage. Because all those "little" things add up and that means Ryanair would have to allow a longer turn around time for people and they would need more staff on the desk.

Similar to shopping in Aldi/Lidl. They don't waste time stacking things prettily on shelves or hang about while you pack your bags. They want you in and out with as little staff time wasted as possible. Because staff time = added cost = higher prices.

You might not like being rushed or not having someone there to print off your boarding pass when you forget to do it yourself. But that's why you shouldn't fly Ryanair. The charges aren't necessarily for making money (as the majority of people know how to read t&c) but rather are there to dissuade people from rocking up to check-in and staff having to waste half an hour getting them onto the flight.

They overcharge you when you have basically no other choice but to pay because you need to travel. Given that people fly Ryanair because its cheap it is safe to assume that many of the passengers cannot readily afford to pay high penalty charges. Imo that is profiting from people in a difficult situation who cant really afford it... no better than wonga.

Again. You don't get charged more if you follow the rules. In this case the rules were not followed and Ryanair waived the charge. There is literally nothing to see here.

Also I don't see that Ryanair have any different rules than any other budget airline on anything except the size of baggage carried on.

You are missing the point... Why cant they charge a fair price for people who do break the rules? Why does a a forgotten boarding pass have to be so expensive to replace? There business model is designed with trying to extract as much money as possible out of people who make mistakes so they can advertise a cheaper fare. If everybody stopped making mistakes they would go out of business. I think thats an unethical business model.

I have already said multiple times that I dont fly with them anymore.. I'm happy to pay extra for a better experience.

And can you answer me why Ryanair have signs at their desks telling people they wont tolerate abusive behaviour from customers? IF it was such a wonderful airline then why are they the only airline I have come across that have signs like these... there must be quite a number of people feeling mighty pissed off with them in order for them to splash the cash on a sign :rolleyes:

Your chocolate analogy make no sense by the way. If I went to a shop to buy a bar of chocolate and was given a receipt for more than I was told the chocolate cost then that might make some sense in relation to Ryanair

Again people get abusive with Ryanair staff because they can't follow the rules clearly laid out on their website. I don't care how much extra they charge for the rule breakers as all costs are experssly laid out on their website. It is their perogative to charge whatever they like, and if you dont like it then dont put yourself in the situation where you have to pay. If you forget to print your boarding pass you know in advance how much it will cost - its not that hard to remember so kicking up a fuss at that point is ridiculous. So for that reason your analogy doesnt work - all cost are laid out clearly on their website. There is no charging you extra than advertised.

If I see something that I feel is ridiculously overpriced anywhere - i dont complain about it on every news station, i simply find a cheaper alternative. If there is no cheaper alternative - then it can't be that overpriced.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

LiamMc wrote: »
    I am once again forever thankful that in over 30 years of air travel and hundreds of flights, I have used Ryanair 6 times in that time. They don't provide the best Value For Money option on routes that I use.
    I am in the same boat there. I have only used Ryanair once in over 20 years. I will be flying with them next Friday to Liverpool purely because they are the only game in town and the price was reasonable. No other reason.

But I shall stick to their rules so they don't get an extra cent more from me.

ash23 wrote: »
    Actually, you're wrong. Their business is to get flights turning around as quickly as possible so they can carry as many passengers as the can in any given day.

That is why you can see the plane emptying as you stand waiting to get on it. That is why there is online check in and you pre-print your boarding pass and why they try to discourage checked in baggage and over weight baggage. Because all those "little" things add up and that means Ryanair would have to allow a longer turn around time for people and they would need more staff on the desk.

Similar to shopping in Aldi/Lidl. They don't waste time stacking things prettily on shelves or hang about while you pack your bags. They want you in and out with as little staff time wasted as possible. Because staff time = added cost = higher prices.

You might not like being rushed or not having someone there to print off your boarding pass when you forget to do it yourself. But that's why you shouldn't fly Ryanair. The charges aren't necessarily for making money (as the majority of people know how to read t&c) but rather are there to dissuade people from rocking up to check-in and staff having to waste half an hour getting them onto the flight.

lol so you dont think that the millions they earn every year in excess baggage fees, credit card fees, checking carry on baggage in the hold, replacing boarding cards etc etc doesnt get factored into their business model? IF it didnt they wouldn't charge so much for the service... dissuade people from wasting time my ass.. Keep buying O'Leary's bull**** if you want

• Advertisement

I am in the same boat there. I have only used Ryanair once in over 20 years. I will be flying with them next Friday to Liverpool purely because they are the only game in town and the price was reasonable. No other reason.

But I shall stick to their rules so they don't get an extra cent more from me.

Like every other airline, then.

Advertisement