Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RyanAir catching crap again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Playboy wrote: »

They overcharge you when you have basically no other choice but to pay because you need to travel. Given that people fly Ryanair because its cheap it is safe to assume that many of the passengers cannot readily afford to pay high penalty charges. Imo that is profiting from people in a difficult situation who cant really afford it... no better than wonga.

I have never read such nonsense in all my life. The only way a person has to pay extra is if they mess it up themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I am in the same boat there. I have only used Ryanair once in over 20 years. I will be flying with them next Friday to Liverpool purely because they are the only game in town and the price was reasonable. No other reason.

But I shall stick to their rules so they don't get an extra cent more from me.

You don't mention your point of origin. But on routes within the Common Travel Area, Ryanair insist on an extra documentation that is not required by Law (perhaps 'Rules' is a better understood word.). An extra requirement, an extra burden on the traveler.

Ryanair do NOT follow the Rules of either UK or Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

lol so you dont think that the millions they earn every year in excess baggage fees, credit card fees, checking carry on baggage in the hold, replacing boarding cards etc etc doesnt get factored into their business model? IF it didnt they wouldn't charge so much for the service... dissuade people from wasting time my ass.. Keep buying O'Leary's bull**** if you want

Of course they make money from it. But it's not their main earning at all. The majority of passengers pay for their flight, get on and get off with no added fees and charges. Some will always deem themselves exempt from being like everyone else and fail to read the numerous emails they are sent telling them how to manage to get through a flight without facing these charges.
    Ryanair aren't sneaky about the charges. I flew with them a couple of weeks ago and I had to agree to t&c after copious warnings about baggage and online check in.
    Then I got an email reminder to check in. When I did I was repeatedly told online about the baggage allowances and penalties for not having my boarding pass, ID etc.
    Then a couple of days before I flew I was sent another email with the same info listed, reminding me to print my boarding pass.

It's not like people have no warning.
    I work in CS and the number of times I hear the "but I didn't read the t&c". Well tough. What more can a company do but tell you the rules. If you don't read them or heed them, on your own head be it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If Ryanair didn't charge a huge price to reprint a boarding pass, then they'd have loads of people who figured that it was more convenient to have it printed at the airport. The high charge is an incentive to people to have it done beforehand, saving Ryanair staff, desk and print charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

lol so you dont think that the millions they earn every year in excess baggage fees, credit card fees, checking carry on baggage in the hold, replacing boarding cards etc etc doesnt get factored into their business model? IF it didnt they wouldn't charge so much for the service... dissuade people from wasting time my ass.. Keep buying O'Leary's bull**** if you want

You keep posting factless posts. firstly all companies have all the rules you mention, so all would make the same "profit" ; secondly the main reason for these rules is - as was pointed out - quick turnaround. I like the fact that Ryanair passengers in general are frequent flyers unlike the zoo atmosphere you get from other airlines - like Easy Jet. It makes flying easier is someone isn't trying to stuff a 15kg bag onto the overhead compartment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

lol wtf? Its nothing to do with the money I have to spend. He called people who pay penalty charges to keep his fare down muppets.. and then you decide mine is the post that is harsh?

I said thats its a sad thing that he needs someone to get shat on so he can fly... I think iots unethical that anyone should need to get shat on in order for someone else to fly.

I do have an agenda against Ryanair.. I think they are a right shower of ***** and O'Leary is a wanker. Am I not entitled to opinion that I can justify without been called a troll?

No Playboy, you were complaining about penalty charges and rules, not the pricing policy that means that seats get more expensive the closer to the travel date you get, and the more full the plane gets (which is the same for EVERY airline in the world, by the way!!) You're just conveniently trying to change your argument now.

I stand by my comment that people that don't read the terms are muppets. It was you that just brought up the idea of people having to book last minute, not me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Again people get abusive with Ryanair staff because they can't follow the rules clearly laid out on their website. I don't care how much extra they charge for the rule breakers as all costs are experssly laid out on their website. It is their perogative to charge whatever they like, and if you dont like it then dont put yourself in the situation where you have to pay. If you forget to print your boarding pass you know in advance how much it will cost - its not that hard to remember so kicking up a fuss at that point is ridiculous. So for that reason your analogy doesnt work - all cost are laid out clearly on their website. There is no charging you extra than advertised.

If I see something that I feel is ridiculously overpriced anywhere - i dont complain about it on every news station, i simply find a cheaper alternative. If there is no cheaper alternative - then it can't be that overpriced.....

Exactly. The only people who have problems with Ryanair are the lazy, the stupid and the cretinous.

Me - I love the cheap fairs ! If it had not been for Ryanair I would not have been able to fly all the places over the last 10 years that I have. Ryanair's cheap prices have enabled me, my friends and my family to go to great places.

In those 10 years I have never had to pay a cent extra. I have never had to pay penalties for anything. I have found their staff to be courteous and excellent and I have never had a problem with them.

Along the way I have flown Aer Lingus, Delta, British Airways etc etc and have never had a problem with either.

O'Leary is a hero. But the lazy, the stupid and the cretinous always have problems with everything in their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Piliger wrote: »
    Exactly. The only people who have problems with Ryanair are the lazy, the stupid and the cretinous.

Me - I love the cheap fairs ! If it had not been for Ryanair I would not have been able to fly all the places over the last 10 years that I have.

But the lazy, the stupid and the cretinous always have problems with everything in their lives.

Contradicting yourself there?

Maybe if you werent so lazy or stupid you could afford to fly with more expensive airlines? What does it say about your intelligence that the only way you can afford to fly is due to the likes of Ryanair. Maybe dont be so quick to call people such harsh names when it can easily be turned on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Maybe if you werent so lazy or stupid you could afford to fly with more expensive airlines? What does it say about your intelligence that the only way you can afford to fly is due to the likes of Ryanair. Maybe dont be so quick to call people such harsh names when it can easily be turned on you?

How does not being able to pay for exspensive airlines make someone lazy or stupid?

Surely stupidity would be paying more than necessary for something. They clearly have no issue with the service given by ryanair and have no problem abiding by their terms and conditions so for what reason would they have to spend more?

You are actually not making any sense here at all.

How does not being able to pay for exspensive airlines make someone lazy or stupid?

He said he wouldn't be able to afford to fly if it wasnt for Ryanair... and in the same breath called people who have a problem with Ryanair Lazy, Stupid and cretinous.

There are plenty of people who have a problem with Ryanair, dont fly with them anymore, have been caught out by their T&C's and who are far from Lazy, stupid and cretinous. It's a bit idiotic to call people who are successful enough to fly with more expensive airlines lazy and stupid isn't it?
    Surely stupidity would be paying more than necessary for something. They clearly have no issue with the service given by ryanair and have no problem abiding by their terms and conditions so for what reason would they have to spend more?

Define necessary? My any many other peoples definition of a 'necessary' level of service is different to what Ryanair offer.

It's not that hard to follow really ... dont call other people stupid and lazy because the same people can find a reason to call you stupid and lazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

He said he wouldn't be able to afford to fly if it wasnt for Ryanair... and in the same breath called people who have a problem with Ryanair Lazy, Stupid and cretinous.

There are plenty of people who have a problem with Ryanair, dont fly with them anymore, have been caught out by their T&C's and who are far from Lazy, stupid and cretinous. It's a bit idiotic to call people who are successful enough to fly with more expensive airlines lazy and stupid isn't it?

Define necessary? My any many other peoples definition of a 'necessary' level of service is different to what Ryanair offer.

It's not that hard to follow really ... dont call other people stupid and lazy because the same people can find a reason to call you stupid and lazy

Yes there are different levels - but logically if you havent read the warnings that flash up before you book, are sent to you with your booking confirmation, and sent again as a reminder again before you fly and find yourself having to pay additional charges - then you are either too lazy to to bother reading those warnings or too stupid to read them. Is there any other logical reason why a person might find themselves being charged extra by Ryanair?

There is no logic that says someone who is not able to afford extra luxeries is then stupid/lazy because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

I flew with Ryanair a few times. No problems with them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The one thing I don't like about Ryanair is their website and I do think they use underhanded techniques to catch people out.

It's like they've made a bad website on purpose and go against all the rules of making a website that is easy to use. You start off with a low price and at every step they bolt on extras that you have to take off and taking them off isn't obvious, the no thanks link is often a tiny text link.

It's easy to get caught out and end up renting a car or hotel if your not careful. Once you go through the process a few times your aware that the website is sneaky but it's very frustrating.

Yes there are different levels - but logically if you havent read the warnings that flash up before you book, are sent to you with your booking confirmation, and sent again as a reminder again before you fly and find yourself having to pay additional charges - then you are either too lazy to to bother reading those warnings or too stupid to read them. Is there any other logical reason why a person might find themselves being charged extra by Ryanair?

Or in a rush.. or expecting that the same policies on most normal airlines would apply?
    There is no logic that says someone who is not able to afford extra luxeries is then stupid/lazy because of this.

Why not... If someone is successful and can afford more 'luxuries' then they are hardly lazy or stupid so why should they have to listen to someone call them that because they didn't read the small print... especially if said person cant afford the same luxuries as the people they are calling lazy and stupid? I dont think you can define people as lazy and stupid because they didnt read some T&C's in the same way you cant define someone as lazy and stupid because of what they can afford... I was making a point that calling people such things on the basis of something so trivial is a bit stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ScumLord wrote: »
    The one thing I don't like about Ryanair is their website and I do think they use underhanded techniques to catch people out.

It's like they've made a bad website on purpose and go against all the rules of making a website that is easy to use. You start off with a low price and at every step they bolt on extras that you have to take off and taking them off isn't obvious, the no thanks link is often a tiny text link.

It's easy to get caught out and end up renting a car or hotel if your not careful. Once you go through the process a few times your aware that the website is sneaky but it's very frustrating.
    They rely on the moron in a hurry principle to make extra money from the gullible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

professore wrote: »
    As someone unfortunate enough to have been in a very similar situation to this family myself, on a Make A Wish trip, I have to say I have no problem with Ryanair. Having flown with them in the past, I know what they are like when it comes to luggage allowances. That's why at the time we flew Aer Arann. I wouldn't put my child through that.

People want Ireland to be a country where everyone follows the rules and politicians, bankers etc are honest. Well you can't have it both ways - at least with Ryanair what you see is what you get, and they pay their taxes here.

I fly with Ryanair when I fly alone or with mates.I use Aer Lingus ,Delta ,BA etc when I travel with the family.The whole Ryanair experience is completely unsuitable for kids.You get what you pay for.If those families fly back on Ryanair in the evening they stand a good chance of a rowdy flight.I have heard people in the airline business call Ryanair passengers "the boat people".Its because they used to take the ferry and never saw the inside of an airport before Ryanair came along. Aer Lingus is probably the equivalent of a half decent restaurant. Ryanair may be closer to Abrakebabra on a Saturday night.Its cheap,it will do the job, but you would not bring your kids there

You appear to identify with those that have problems. If you had a better grasp of the english language you might come across less comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

h
    Exactly - it would be more "cretinous" of him to fly with a more expensive airline when a cheaper alternative exists surely - an alternative that he has happily used and has given him service he is happy with for many years!

repsol wrote: »
    I fly with Ryanair when I fly alone or with mates.I use Aer Lingus ,Delta ,BA etc when I travel with the family.The whole Ryanair experience is completely unsuitable for kids.You get what you pay for.If those families fly back on Ryanair in the evening they stand a good chance of a rowdy flight.I have heard people in the airline business call Ryanair passengers "the boat people".Its because they used to take the ferry and never saw the inside of an airport before Ryanair came along. Aer Lingus is probably the equivalent of a half decent restaurant. Ryanair may be closer to Abrakebabra on a Saturday night.Its cheap,it will do the job, but you would not bring your kids there

This is so much Bllx. I have been flying with Ryanair for years. You may be flying from sun holiday destinations and encountering the binge drinking people. I have been flying from Poland, Italy, Germany, Latvia etc and children are regular passengers in big numbers and they are fine on those flights. I have only once in dozens of flights encountered any raucous behaviour, while in that same time I have encountered about five cases of yob behaviour on Aer Lingus ... so much for that one.
    The guff about how Ryanair are known 'in the business' is a good guide of how successfully they have disrupted other airline's business and how much they hate Ryanair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

A lot of the people whinging on here have a very "Irish" attitude towards rules.
    shur their only rules, their there to be broken. begarra begosh to be sure to be sure.
    I used to be the same, but then I woke up.
    you woke up? ah shur everybody wakes up, each day (or night) you awake during the day (usually around morning time) then at night go to bed (or the opposite if you are a nightshift person
    Rules are rules.
    i would never have guessed, but they are there to be broken
    They are not guidelines, they are not suggestions, they are rules.
    well who'd have thought that?
    People need to wake up
    they do, every day (or night)
    realise this is the real world,
    why what other world is their?
    Ireland isn't a parochial backwater anymore
    ah shur begarra begosh it is, and to be sure to be sure it always will be.
    a nod and a wink doesn't work anymore.
    ah shur begarra begosh to be sure to be sure it works for me, all the time begarra begosh to be sure to be sure.
    Rules are rules.
    ya don't say?
    Get used to it.
    no, lets all break them begarra begosh to be sure to be sure

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

shur their only rules, their there to be broken. begarra begosh to be sure to be sure.

you woke up? ah shur everybody wakes up, each day (or night) you awake during the day (usually around morning time) then at night go to bed (or the opposite if you are a nightshift person

i would never have guessed, but they are there to be broken

well who'd have thought that?

they do, every day (or night)

why what other world is their?

ah shur begarra begosh it is, and to be sure to be sure it always will be.

ah shur begarra begosh to be sure to be sure it works for me, all the time begarra begosh to be sure to be sure.

ya don't say?

no, lets all break them begarra begosh to be sure to be sure

A brilliant contribution. Well done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Shinaynay

Years ago I was out of work for months, I eventually got a new job & had to go away for 6 days training. Broke isnt the word- i hadnt a fecking bean, and expenses were to be claimed back after the trip.
    Anyway I left my boarding pass on the train to the airport on the way back. Had €6 to get a coke & the bus home.
    I explained my situation to a guy from B.A who laughed in my face and said 'looks like youll be sleeping here tonight love!' as tears roled down my face.. Went up to ryanair desk & the girl happened to be Irish. Sobbing (was desperatley homesick!), i explained the situation and without saying a word, she clicked her mouse a few times and handed me a new boarding pass.

What really stunned me though was when I asked her for her name to write a letter to her employee commending her compassion.
    her reply ? 'Are you KIDDING? I'd be fired on the SPOT if you wrote that!

Shinaynay wrote: »
    Years ago I was out of work for months, I eventually got a new job & had to go away for 6 days training. Broke isnt the word- i hadnt a fecking bean, and expenses were to be claimed back after the trip.
    Anyway I left my boarding pass on the train to the airport on the way back. Had €6 to get a coke & the bus home.
    I explained my situation to a guy from B.A who laughed in my face and said 'looks like youll be sleeping here tonight love!' as tears roled down my face.. Went up to ryanair desk & the girl happened to be Irish. Sobbing (was desperatley homesick!), i explained the situation and without saying a word, she clicked her mouse a few times and handed me a new boarding pass.

What really stunned me though was when I asked her for her name to write a letter to her employee commending her compassion.
    her reply ? 'Are you KIDDING? I'd be fired on the SPOT if you wrote that!

So ? You were a complete idiot and were getting what you deserved ... but was saved by a gullible staff member. So what ?

So ? You were a complete idiot and were getting what you deserved ... but was saved by a gullible staff member. So what ?
    I'm not sure losing a piece of A4 paper during a London rush hour makes me an idiot.. And I dont think taking pity on a 20 year old girl make you gullible.

Shinaynay wrote: »
    I'm not sure losing a piece of A4 paper during a London rush hour makes me an idiot.. And I dont think taking pity on a 20 year old girl make you gullible.

Oh I think it is. And I think she was. At 20 you needed to grow up and face adult responsibilities instead of shirking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Oh I think it is. And I think she was. At 20 you needed to grow up and face adult responsibilities instead of shirking them.

Get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Oh I think it is.
    Is what?

fair play to the ryanair girl she did something nice for the poster, its called being nice, you should try it

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭shane547

Self righteous twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Beg to differ. I never had to pay an extra cent either because I read the T&C and I comply with the "rules" (aka diktats). But I still don't like Ryan Air. I flew with them often in the past, I try my best to avoid them now. And the weird thing is that the flights I take are not in any way dearer. In fact, I flew to Spain (landed right into Madrid's airport. Ryanair flies Valladolid which is another 50mn by bus) for 100€ with AerLingus, Ryanair's flight was over 200€. Of course, it was a special offer with AerLingus, but it happens often enough.

Anyway, what bothers me is the rudness, the arrogance. I don't want to pay for this, even if the flight is 50 euros cheaper. I don't blame the staff, they are underpaid, over pressurised, and they just apply the same arrogant attitude their managers and CEO have. But still. No thanks. The last time I had to fly with RA (not my choice), the girl at the check in threw my passport back at me. If a shop keeper threw money back at me, I'd not shop with them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've flew with ryanair hundreds of times and never had a bad experience except once a flight time was changed. But we were given about 2 months notice and they refunded out money.
    But I find it strange that people hold up air lingus as some sort of amazing high class airline. I don't fly with them often, twice every 3 years, but every time I do they somehow fúck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Beg to differ. I never had to pay an extra cent either because I read the T&C and I comply with the "rules" (aka diktats). But I still don't like Ryan Air. I flew with them often in the past, I try my best to avoid them now. And the weird thing is that the flights I take are not in any way dearer. In fact, I flew to Spain (landed right into Madrid's airport. Ryanair flies Valladolid which is another 50mn by bus) for 100€ with AerLingus, Ryanair's flight was over 200€. Of course, it was a special offer with AerLingus, but it happens often enough.

Anyway, what bothers me is the rudness, the arrogance. I don't want to pay for this, even if the flight is 50 euros cheaper. I don't blame the staff, they are underpaid, over pressurised, and they just apply the same arrogant attitude their managers and CEO have. But still. No thanks. The last time I had to fly with RA (not my choice), the girl at the check in threw my passport back at me. If a shop keeper threw money back at me, I'd not shop with them again.

Ryanair flies directly into Madrid–Barajas, which is the main Airport in Madrid as do Aer Lingus. If you do happen to fly into Valladolid you can get a train for as little as 12 euros to take you directly into Madrid.

At least get your facts correct if you're going to criticise them.

Hold on, hold on. You flew with ryanair to the wrong city?
    As for the price difference, it was a special offer at a different time, so there's no comparison. I flew to barcelona with ryanair for €55 including all charges about 3 years ago. I could check air lingus website now and pick out an expensive time to fly, but it's not a realistic comparison. I do know that if low cost airlines like ryanair never existed and the likes of airlingus had their way, it would have cost me about 5 or 6 hundred euros.

Ryanair flies directly into Madrid–Barajas, which is the main Airport in Madrid as do Aer Lingus. If you do happen to fly into Valladolid you can get a train for as little as 12 euros to take you directly into Madrid.

At least get your facts correct if you're going to criticise them.

Well, they didn't in 2000. I have my facts correct.
    Ryan Air to Paris flies to Beauvais, which is NOT Paris. Fly out 18th of Jan, return 20th: Aerlingus 124.98€. Ryan Air: 186.17€.

My point is that Ryan Air being cheap is a myth. It used to be true. You have to give that to Michael O'Leary, Ryan Air made flying more affordable. Millions have discovered foreign holidays thanks to RA. Now, the prices can no longer justify the attitude.

Ryan Air to Paris flies to Beauvais, which is NOT Paris. Fly out 18th of Jan, return 20th: Aerlingus 124.98€. Ryan Air: 186.17€.

My point is that Ryan Air being cheap is a myth. It used to be true. You have to give that to Michael O'Leary, Ryan Air made flying more affordable. Millions have discovered foreign holidays thanks to RA. Now, the prices can no longer justify the attitude.
    I call bullshít.
    I put those flights into ryanair and got a price €49 including taxes on the ryanair website. Did the same on Aer Lingus and got the €124 ones you're talking about.
    If you don't want to fly to Beauvais, don't do it, that's a different argument. But your prices are made up.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    I call bullshít.
    I put those flights into ryanair and got a price €49 including taxes on the ryanair website. Did the same on Aer Lingus and got the €124 ones you're talking about.
    If you don't want to fly to Beauvais, don't do it, that's a different argument. But your prices are made up.

With that attitude, you could be a star manager at Ryan Air.
    Anyway, I stand corrected (obviously, I don't have the right profile to become manager at Ryan Air). I entered the dates again and you are right, I got a cheaper quote this time. However, the price I wrote on my previous post was genuine, never made it up. There was also a note that "only 2 seats were remaining" for the return leg, which has now disappeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've flew with ryanair hundreds of times and never had a bad experience except once a flight time was changed. But we were given about 2 months notice and they refunded out money.
    But I find it strange that people hold up air lingus as some sort of amazing high class airline. I don't fly with them often, twice every 3 years, but every time I do they somehow fúck up.
    I haven't noticed any **** ups with aer lingus but it is weird compared to Ryanairs way of doing business, your left sitting in the plane longer and everything is more relaxed. In some ways I prefer Ryanair in that they run with military precision when it comes to time keeping. Sitting on the Aer Lingus plane your just thinking "shouldn't we be in the air by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Brainwashing people, that's what they are good at. I have friends in Italy that would embark in absurd train journeys to remote airports to catch a Ryanair flight, while they could have flown from their local airport with another airline. More often than not, they don't even check fares for other operators, assume Ryanair is the cheapest and even if that was the case, they end up blowing more money on trains and taxis than the difference between the airfares would have been.

As for the argument "LCCs bringing down flights cost for everyone",it is an old argument that is debatable at least: prices came down on all high-frequency routes, even those that have no low cost carriers operating them - such as transatlantic routes. The advancement in aircraft technology and efficiency brought the seat-per-mile costs down, even with increased fuel prices, and most airlines figured out that a higher volume of business means better margins. The emergence of LCCs might have sped the process up, but it's not the sole responsible for it.

Attitude wise, there are loads of low cost carriers right now with none of Ryanair's rudeness.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I haven't noticed any **** ups with aer lingus but it is weird compared to Ryanairs way of doing business, your left sitting in the plane longer and everything is more relaxed. In some ways I prefer Ryanair in that they run with military precision when it comes to time keeping. Sitting on the Aer Lingus plane your just thinking "shouldn't we be in the air by now.
    You will get more fúckups with an airline where you have to change planes in fairness to Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

€7 well spent & I have seen cheaper ones. Unless you have been living under a stone you will have heard that Ryanair are strict on their baggage restrictions.

The toughest thing I found was getting a carry on suitcase that was 20cm deep. I was a bit of a nerd about this one and brought a measuring tape with me when I was looking for luggage. I now have no concerns when ever I am getting a Ryanair flight. I'm normally greeted with a smile and always get a thank-you when getting off the flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Also, just did a quick check on Skyscanner for a flight from Dublin to London (any).

Ryanair - €27
    Aerlingus - €36

I didn't go through all the extras, but that is a (approx)30% saving on the base price, but it is only €9 so I would probably base my decision on which flight's would be the most convenient timewise.

I did a random check there too, the first place I noticed both of them fly to was Edinburgh.
    The same airport, the same dates (march 12th for a week) and got a quote of €84 by air lingus and €48 by ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Ryanair was always cheaper for me when I needed to fly home from England. Aer Lingus always seemed to be at least 50 euro more expensive.

I have never had trouble with ryanair, the only issue I have ever had was when my flight was delayed by 2 hours due to the plane breaking down, but these things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

The 80,000,000 passenger who fly with them would beg to disagree.
    What this country needs are Michael O'Leary's!

This country is already being run by a bunch of Michael O'Learys and look at the mess we're in.

'Michael O'Leary' is slang, right?

Th Ryanair whingers come out of the woodwork every time the topic comes up. I don't personally believe a fraction of their stories. No one I personally know who have flown Ryanair, and I know quite a few, have ever experience any rude behaviour by a Ryanair staff member - and I myself have found them every bit as courteous as Aer Lingus staff. In fact I have found them to be more patient with rude customers. Some customers think they can abuse Ryanair staff because they don't like being penalised for being the idiots they are, and the fact that so many people fly with them, and expect them to take it. I have witnessed Ryanair staff being abused by ignorant people and they have kept their cool amazingly well.
    I believe many of those people post made up stories to forums, and it's not difficult to tell which are which.

Some people just cannot cope with the cheap fairs and penalties for idiots policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

The only time my parents and I were caught out was when we were flying home from a visit to Barcelona four years ago. Our baggage was overweight at check-in, but we just paid the fine.

Th Ryanair whingers come out of the woodwork every time the topic comes up.
    no, not true. your telling lies.
    I don't personally believe a fraction of their stories.
    nobody cares what you believe.
    No one I personally know who have flown Ryanair, and I know quite a few, have ever experience any rude behaviour by a Ryanair staff member - and I myself have found them every bit as courteous as Aer Lingus staff. In fact I have found them to be more patient with rude customers.
    bully for you.
    Some customers think they can abuse Ryanair staff because they don't like being penalised for being the idiots they are,
    their not idiots, their being penalised as part of a money making racket.
    I have witnessed Ryanair staff being abused by ignorant people and they have kept their cool amazingly well.
    its their job to keep their cool, wouldn't expect anything less.
    I believe many of those people post made up stories to forums,
    no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your never serious?
    it's not difficult to tell which are which.
    ah it is though, very very hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

no, not true. your telling lies.

nobody cares what you believe.

bully for you.

their not idiots, their being penalised as part of a money making racket.

its their job to keep their cool, wouldn't expect anything less.

no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your never serious?

ah it is though, very very hard to tell.

Eloquent rebuttal, as always, EOTR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Now let me preface this by saying I had never flown with Ryanair before but was aware of their practices from family etc. Coming from the US (we went to Barcelona first, then to Paris) we traveled from Beauvais to Dublin last July. We had prepaid for 5 suitcases since we had a lot of stuff.

Upon checking in, I asked the Ryanair girl if my son could carry his skate board or if we had to put it in one of our 5 suitcases. She says it was fine for him to carry it on. It was a small penny skate board about 20 inches long so it could have easily fit in a suitcase but he had just got it in Barcelona a few days before and want to have it with him at the airport.

After we checked in, we went to board the plane but now we're told there we had to check in the skate board. I went back to the same girl at the check-in counter but now she says it's an extra 60 or so euros. I asked her can I add it to the suitcase, no it's gone now. Well you told me we could it carry on, so why should I have to pay? Well that's just the way it is so either pay or don't bring it on.

Needless to say that's the one and only time I'll fly with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

FatherTed wrote: »
    Now let me preface this by saying I had never flown with Ryanair before but was aware of their practices from family etc. Coming from the US (we went to Barcelona first, then to Paris) we traveled from Beauvais to Dublin last July. We had prepaid for 5 suitcases since we had a lot of stuff.

Upon checking in, I asked the Ryanair girl if my son could carry his skate board or if we had to put it in one of our 5 suitcases. She says it was fine for him to carry it on. It was a small penny skate board about 20 inches long so it could have easily fit in a suitcase but he had just got it in Barcelona a few days before and want to have it with him at the airport.

After we checked in, we went to board the plane but now we're told there we had to check in the skate board. I went back to the same girl at the check-in counter but now she says it's an extra 60 or so euros. I asked her can I add it to the suitcase, no it's gone now. Well you told me we could it carry on, so why should I have to pay? Well that's just the way it is so either pay or don't bring it on.

Needless to say that's the one and only time I'll fly with them.

I call BS.

Unless it's an emergency you won't be let back outside the security after going through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement