Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinner SPD Cleat?

Options
  • 13-12-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I'm fairly new to the world of cleats and clipless pedals and picked myself up a pair of cheapish SPD shoes for use with a pair of Ritchey SPD pedals I've had lying around for ages.

They work great and they're nice and comfortable on the bike, but the cleat still protrudes from the recess on the shoe.
    I thought it might just be because they were cheap, but reading reviews of them, plenty of people comment on how nice they are to walk in too.

So I was curious if it's possible to get a thinner cleat that doesn't protrude as much. Or are all SPD cleats the same dimensions?

PS. The shoes are Muddyfox Tour TBS100
    I just wanted something cheap for commuting in that I could then continue to wear while at work. These look the part, but it sounds like im tap dancing down the corridors if I attempt to wear them off the bike.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It's the shoe which will dictate how much the cleat protrudes. Any SPD cleats which I have had have all been the same size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where do you work? Do you have an office? Locker? Your own space?

You could just buy a cheap pair of shoes for work. Any SPD shoes I've had have been easy to walk in, but still make a distinctive clink/crunch depending on the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Changing my shoes is what I do now once I get off the bike. Was just curious about the cleats to see if I could prevent this.

I'm away to pick up a new bike tomorrow so will have an inspect of the cleats in the LBS once I get there.

Fengol wrote: »
    Changing my shoes is what I do now once I get off the bike. Was just curious about the cleats to see if I could prevent this.

I'm away to pick up a new bike tomorrow so will have an inspect of the cleats in the LBS once I get there.

A second pair of shoes fixes so much: you don't have to worry about cycling in the rain (just the return journey), it gives your feet a bit of breathing space, more comfortable to walk in (cycling shoes are a little rigid and bulky).

There are no thinner SPD cleats. There are the standard ones and then the multi-release ones. I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Fengol wrote: »
    that I could then continue to wear while at work
    Although they are designed to enable you to walk more easily, they are not really designed to be worn all day at work. I'd imagine that excessive off bike use would soften the rigidness of the sole.

• Advertisement

Although they are designed to enable you to walk more easily, they are not really designed to be worn all day at work. I'd imagine that excessive off bike use would soften the rigidness of the sole.

I'd be more worried about my feet. My SPD shoes are far too rigid to be worn in everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Second pair of shoes is the way to go IMO. I just keep a pair under the desk and change when I get in. My SPDs do stick out a little as well and I certainly wouldn't want to wear them all day for reasons mentioned already plus the fact that depending what the floor surfaces are at your place of work you'll either make a mess of the floor (carpet, wood) or the cleats (concrete, tile)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fengol

Yeah, ill more than likely go with the spare shoes option. For some reason, leaving a spare pare at work didn't cross my mind. Glad it has now though as they take up valuable real estate in my backpack at the moment.

Advertisement