Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

responsible meat, eggs and dairy products buying

Options
  • 13-12-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if there is anywhere i could buy meat where I could be sure the animal has been killed humanely, in decent conditions and had a nice life before it died. is this slaughtering indistry regulated ?

Also regarding eggs, where to buy them from very happy hens walking around in the garden and being put to bed every night ?

I am in Trim, Co. Meath, thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

For beef, just buy Irish, the welfare standards are very high and slaughtering is heavily regulated.

For pork, a lot of it is indoor reared, so not the best. But again, slaughtering is to the best standard. Buy free range if you can.

For eggs, go free range. I'm not overly convinced by organic myself. Free range have access to the outside, and a lower stocking rate per sq metre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I would largely agree with MarkMc about the Irish beef industry being good on the welfare front and the Irish pig industry being poor on the welfare front.

From experience though I would say there are significantly better welfare standards regarding housing density and stocking rates for organic poultry than free range.

Advertisement